“Good Choice for Beijing Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Beijing Jianguo Hotel

Beijing Jianguo Hotel
Ranked #71 of 6,068 Hotels in Beijing
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Good Choice for Beijing Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is a great choice for a Beijing Hotel. The rooms are a good size with staff who are very friendly and have a good command of English. The beds, like all Chinese beds, are hard but very comfortable with great pillows. The air conditioning is efficient and reasonably quiet. The water garden is great and it is lovely to have breakfast looking out at the garden. The breakfast was excellent.

Another plus was the balcony in our room and it was lovely to sit out and look at the lights of the buildings around. For a city centre location it was amazingly quiet. For a city centre hotel the swimming pool was a bonus.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank kerriekhowe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Caronno Pertusella, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I have been to this hotel several time since ten years back.
The hotel is not a new building but kept in pretty good conditions.
Most of the ground level rooms do have a small patio with access to a water / rock garden that is nice when you are back from a busy day and want to have a bit of relax.
All other rooms are of reasonable size while rooms at club floor are designed on two levels with bedrooms at the upper level.
Restaurants are nothing special although clean and with pretty responsive staff.
What is most important about this hotel is the location. If you have business downtown Beijing (let's say between 2nd and 3rd ring roads) this is a good hotel as it is located along the Janguomenweidajie and very close to a subway station.

Room Tip: avoid rooms facing the main road that might be noisy
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank adalbore
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

If your like me and don't like high rise chain hotels then this is the place to stay in Beijing. It is a good hotel with friendly helpful staff and excellent breakfast. There is somewhere to store your bicycles (still the best way to get around independantly in Beijing) and close to leafy parks for cool morning walks. there is a pool to wash off the heat of a Beijing summer.

Room Tip: Rooms with a garden suite are best.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Wizak
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I have stayed in the Jianguo Hotel numerous times over the years, before and after the 2008 Olympics, i.e before and after the massive refurbishment prior to the Beijing Olympics.

The Hotel is conveniently located on next to the Line 1 Yonganli tube station which means that you can easily get to places such as Tienanmen Square, Forbidden City etc. hassle free.

The rooms have been tastefully redecorated to a modern boutique-kind style and they are always very comfortable, clean and spacious. Despite its location, the noise levels in this hotel are minimal. If you are a smoker avoid the smoking rooms, as they literally smell bad. You can also smoke on the balcony of a non smoking room - the difference will be of course in your room air quality.

I was a bit disappointed that the front desk staff's English was not up to expectation and had to repeat myself over and over again to be understood; for an International Hotel like this, the Management should start be looking at training their employees in English a bit more.

The hotel bars are rather expensive (half pint of lager costed be £4.50) and not very special. I have eaten there before but not during this stay, hence I wouldn't be able to comment on that.

Overall a nice hotel, at a good location, clean and comfortable

Room Tip: Rooms to Block B (although the smokers residence) seem to have better views
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank moslit
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I will start my review like this...........

Great Hotel.....Lovely view.....Loved it....will be back again and again.....

This was my first trip to Beijing, so not sure about the city. I landed in airport awesome airport and it took me 50 minutes to reach the hotel. Lovely location of the hotel. You will love it. Great views from the hotel. I checked in and find out the rooms are pretty good. After dinner i went for a walk and really find it great. After staying there, i find out lots of restaurant near by it. Specially you can find indian restaurant TAJ there near by only, walk able distance only. Everything you want is near to this hotal like all kinds of food joint. The best thing was, the silk market was only 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Man o man........i have done hell lot of shopping there with great bargain. if you enjoy shopping then this is a great place to stay. Highly recommended for others. Hotel staff are also quite ok ok. The location is the best part of the hotel.

The hotel also has some good restaurant and nice pool and steam bath also. The rooms are more than decent and really enjoyed my stay of one week there. Whenever i go to beijing, i will love to stay in this hotel only.

Overall great experience for me in Beijing in this hotel. You can also convert your foreign currency into yuan at the hotel counter and the hotel also, accept all kind of credit cards. So, no problem when clearing the bills.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Rajesh S
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

This is my second stay at the Jianguo. The first time I spent a month here on the third floor of the old building (you can see my review of that stay).

I am going on my 7th straight week in the hotel, so I think I’ve had the full experience, though I may be getting grumpy and hypercritical the longer I stay. In short, there’s nothing wrong with this hotel and its proximity to the subway and the CBD is a plus. I think it all depends on the rate and whether you can get in a newer chain with similar location advantages for the same money. Of course, it also depends on whether you’re here for tourism or business. If business, you really need to stay as close as possible to where you’ll be working. If you’re a tourist, you’ll want to stay near the subway and some attractions.

This time I’m on the 9th floor of the new building (B) with a small balcony and a nice view of a good portion of the CBD and Ritan High School. I have some colleagues in A Building and they are on the 2nd floor with a view of a wall. I’ve looked in rooms across the hall from mine and they are on two levels with a half bath and living area on the first level and the bedroom and large bath on the second. My company has a negotiated rate here, so I’m sure I’m in one of the most basic of rooms. It’s funny because some rooms get fruit and cookies, which I understand if you’re paying three times what I am, but the hotel obviously furnishes amenities that I don’t receive like combs and sewing kits. My amenities consist of robes, shampoo, conditioner, bath foam (even though I only have a large shower with a rain head and separate spray attachment), body lotion, shower cap, sanitary napkin bag, toothbrushes and water.

Before preparing my review I looked back at the bad reviews. As an aside, I wish all reviewers would start doing this as it would be valuable for those of us who rely so heavily on TA when making our plans. The comment about Muzak hell amused me. Frankly, I hadn’t noticed the music until I read the review. Either the reviewer has the ears of a bat or there was a defective speaker outside of their room because the music is very low. I did notice a couple of weeks ago that they were playing Christmas music as part of the rotation! I agree that the rooms are dark. Having the balcony is nice because I can open it for more light during the day. I agree that the room is small. If you have a lot of luggage you will be challenged, as you will be if you’re living out of two large suitcases. If you’re not living out of your suitcase, you’ll find the storage limited and somewhat awkward. Some of the drawers are in the closet but you can’t open the bottom drawer if you have shoes on the floor. Also, the closet drawers are perpendicular to the door, so they are not that easy to access in the first place. My closet has room on the floor for two pairs of shoes – another disadvantage. There is other storage in the room proper, but it is limited and not particularly user friendly.

The room is non-smoking but smelled smoky when I checked in. I left the balcony door open for a couple of hours each day for a few days and it seemed fine. I’ve had the door shut for several weeks due to the heat and pollution and notice the odor coming back. Rules here are made to be broken.

I like the fact that the bathroom has decent space around the sink and a glass shelf below it for holding toiletries. The towels and wash cloths are of good quality.

I was a little surprised to read where someone had complimented the hotel laundry. I am generally negative on it since I have had situations where items were not fully clean. Of course, it’s very expensive like all other hotel laundries. My wife, who was here awhile, commented that my white shirts are getting grey. Yesterday I had to return a pair of trousers to the laundry because they didn’t get out two obvious spots on the front.

The breakfast buffet is more than ample and of decent quality. I can’t imagine anyone not being able to find enough to eat here. It has Western and Asian food and a lot of variety. Having said that, I would not pay for it if it was coming out of my pocket because it is very expensive.

In earlier reviews the staff gets both high and low marks. I’m a little conflicted on this. The staff is friendly, and many of them become even more so after passing them a couple of times a day for 7 weeks. I’ve had good and not so good experiences with the front desk. The hotel maid service is great on some days and mediocre on others. I don’t know how often they vacuum the carpet but it’s certainly not very often. Maybe that’s why Asian hotels always provide slippers. They don’t replace glasses but wash them out in the bathroom sink every day. The turndown service is nice: turndown with a piece of chocolate or rose; curtains closed, trash emptied, lights on, toilet lid down and bath mat down. The problem is that it seems hit or miss. I only get it about 60% of the time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
11 Thank dskid
Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

friendly staff and nice garden view, very rare now in modern big city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business