“Great Hotel”

Ranked #109 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Aberdeen
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Staff were very helpful, went out of their way for us and spoke very good English. We were given a free room upgrade to a suite which was a very large room, complimentary fruit and sweets on arrival, free bottled water each day and also free wifi for the duration of our stay. The subway station is just around the corner but we didn't try it opting for taxis instead and a half hour journey cost around 50yuan which is pretty cheap. There is a 6 floor market round the corner which was good for a few souvenirs and also a food supermarket under a department store where we bought soft drinks and take out sushi for dinner a couple of times - yum! My husband had a half hour head neck and shoulder massage which he enjoyed also very reasonable at 128yuan. Breakfast in the hotel was buffet style with a wide selection and very good. Bed in the room very comfortable, complimentary slippers, range of toiletries even included razor, comb, toothbrush and toothpaste. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sam12340

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baughurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I suppose I should have guessed as it's called "Downtown"!

Our room was small by comparison to others we'd had in China and the hotel was generally more expensive - probably as a result of being in the capital.

The restaurant was good and the lounge bar attractive.

The laundry service was very efficient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to share your valuable feedback with us.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guest's to indulge in the best they deserve.
Once again, we look forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future, thank you.
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I recommend this place - a typical Holiday Inn, in China, or for that matter the world. Though I will say that the place is well run, well maintained and the staff is extra friendly and make an extra effort to help (Language barriers aside). Although I was upgraded to executive rom as a priority club member, the general sense I get from the hotel is that most areas have been updated and relatively new. The best thing I like about this hotel is its proximity to the Subway - a mere 4-5 minutes walk, which is really a blessing for those with large family carrying luggage and daily shopping hauls. The Next to the hotel is a Shopping Arcade which I would rank equal or higher to Silk Market or HongQiao due to much better prices -- though serious bargaining is still needed. The place is also surrounded by western fast food restaurants, which helps when mood calls for something known and tried. There is an ATM within the hotel, automatic currency exchange machine, hair saloon and more. Again - location cannot be beat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel is exactly what is says on the tin. I stayed there for 8 days on a business trip.

It is rather unassuming from the outside (and beware as can be difficult to spot), but once inside it is nice enough.

It is probably not my best choice if I was a tourist in Beijing, although it is close to a subway station, so that is a plus as it is only a few minutes walk. There are also some shops and restaurants nearby, although they are mostly frequented by locals, so it depends how comfortable you are doing that sort of thing.

Rooms are standard (or maybe I was just in a very standard room). Bed is very comfortable and you get all the expected amenities such as TV, iron and basic toiletries. I really struggled with the size of the wardrobe, the safe was in the way, so I could only manage to hang about 3 items up before I ran out of room, not ideal on an 8 day business trip as I wanted to hang things up straight away to stop them getting creased. This is not a unique problem to my room, my colleague, who was in a different room on a different floor, suffered from the same issue.

Food is nice enough, and the staff is friendly.

Beware they are still charging for wifi though, in this day and age! And it is rather slow.

I would recommend this hotel for business travellers, but I would advise the management to sort the Internet out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank your for sharing your valuable comment with us.
Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guest's feel it is necessary. We hope to have an opportunity so serve you again in the near future.

sincerely,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Recently stayed 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Beijing Downtown and the experience was noteworthy. I stay a minimum of 70 nights a year worldwide (mainly in IHG properties) but this particular hotel was one of the best I've stayed at in the past 5 years in terms of cleanliness, service, food quality and overall hospitality. As a Platinum Member I was upgraded to a better room and the Executive Lounge was a welcome getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city (thanks "Cinderella" for the extra special care). REALLY enjoyed my stay there and will return next time I'm in Beijing.

Room Tip: Get a room facing towards the restaurant for a better WiFi connection.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nice hotel, particularly for business travellers. Staff were polite and helpful. My Husband main complaint was that there was too much western food and not enough chinese on the menu, but that will work in the it's favour for some travellers.

A nice department store and grocery is only about 5 minutes walk away and several resturants nearby.

The rooms themselves were standard Holiday Inn fayre, but clean and comfortable and reasonable size.

All in all a good example of a chain hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaci W
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in May after a long journey on the trans Mongolian railway.Really enjoyed the hotel the excellent buffet breakfast and dinner,great value and variety. Location fine but we were transported around and did not try public transport.The staff are charming and helpful and we were well looked after. I was annoyed when it came to settle the bill which was presented in sterling and just in time I realised and asked for another in local currency. I discovered on receiving my credit card account that this had made a difference of over 8 pounds. Future visitors need to be aware!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends