“A Standard Holiday Inn - as expected”

Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing
Ranked #119 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Preston, United Kingdom
“A Standard Holiday Inn - as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel is exactly what is says on the tin. I stayed there for 8 days on a business trip.

It is rather unassuming from the outside (and beware as can be difficult to spot), but once inside it is nice enough.

It is probably not my best choice if I was a tourist in Beijing, although it is close to a subway station, so that is a plus as it is only a few minutes walk. There are also some shops and restaurants nearby, although they are mostly frequented by locals, so it depends how comfortable you are doing that sort of thing.

Rooms are standard (or maybe I was just in a very standard room). Bed is very comfortable and you get all the expected amenities such as TV, iron and basic toiletries. I really struggled with the size of the wardrobe, the safe was in the way, so I could only manage to hang about 3 items up before I ran out of room, not ideal on an 8 day business trip as I wanted to hang things up straight away to stop them getting creased. This is not a unique problem to my room, my colleague, who was in a different room on a different floor, suffered from the same issue.

Food is nice enough, and the staff is friendly.

Beware they are still charging for wifi though, in this day and age! And it is rather slow.

I would recommend this hotel for business travellers, but I would advise the management to sort the Internet out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank your for sharing your valuable comment with us.
Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guest's feel it is necessary. We hope to have an opportunity so serve you again in the near future.

sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Recently stayed 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Beijing Downtown and the experience was noteworthy. I stay a minimum of 70 nights a year worldwide (mainly in IHG properties) but this particular hotel was one of the best I've stayed at in the past 5 years in terms of cleanliness, service, food quality and overall hospitality. As a Platinum Member I was upgraded to a better room and the Executive Lounge was a welcome getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city (thanks "Cinderella" for the extra special care). REALLY enjoyed my stay there and will return next time I'm in Beijing.

Room Tip: Get a room facing towards the restaurant for a better WiFi connection.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Daventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nice hotel, particularly for business travellers. Staff were polite and helpful. My Husband main complaint was that there was too much western food and not enough chinese on the menu, but that will work in the it's favour for some travellers.

A nice department store and grocery is only about 5 minutes walk away and several resturants nearby.

The rooms themselves were standard Holiday Inn fayre, but clean and comfortable and reasonable size.

All in all a good example of a chain hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaci W
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in May after a long journey on the trans Mongolian railway.Really enjoyed the hotel the excellent buffet breakfast and dinner,great value and variety. Location fine but we were transported around and did not try public transport.The staff are charming and helpful and we were well looked after. I was annoyed when it came to settle the bill which was presented in sterling and just in time I realised and asked for another in local currency. I discovered on receiving my credit card account that this had made a difference of over 8 pounds. Future visitors need to be aware!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rebert_11
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Situated in the Business District of Beijing, handy to most city indoor markets. 15mins by taxi to Tianamen Square/Forbidden Palace. Also handy to The Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven and Beijing Zoo.
Rooms are clean and 3 adults can share comfortably in a King room.
Food was good for both breakfast and dinner and reasoably priced.
Staff were friendly, courteous and went out of their way to help with any questions we might have had.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BurnsieBrisbane
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking your precious time to share your experience during your rencent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Beijing Downtown in the near future.

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel is great find, I spent months in China and have to keep to a tight budget, this for me, is luxury on a budget.

As do most hotels they operate a flexible pricing policy and during this weekend I got a top class room at less than $50. The hotel is very well presented with lots of marble and gold fixtures in the reception, multiple restaurants and garden veranda type bars,
The room I got was very sumptuous with a BIG bed, must be 6ft square, deep mattress and crisp clean sheets very comfortable!
Breakfast was not included on my budget price but I still went ahead and paid for it as the room was such a good price, the breakfast buffet was about 40ft long with plenty of choice.
The hotel has a clean looking gym, beauty salon and massage room, I didn't try them but from the door-way they looked very well presented.
There is a cash-machine in the hotel lobby if you are nervous of using then on an open road in the city, very usaeful!

Location, immediately outside is not very touristy, but there are plenty of restaurants and fast food places within a stone’s throw, but what makes this really good is that the subway is two minutes away and its Line 2 the Beijing Circular line giving you access to the whole of Beijing, nothing is more than 20 minutes travelling time with most central attractions less than that, the subway in Beijing is very cheap, so don’t need taxis, more savings! There is a shuttle bus going to and from the Financial district, no idea what that is, but it’s there if you happen to be thinking of going there.

I have found that all the staff speak quite good English and are prepared to help out with some Chinese translations, everyone I have dealt with has been very helpful, efficient and freindly.

The two hotels I will now use in Beijing are both Holiday Inns, the main one for week days and long hauls is the Holiday Inn Express at the Temple of Heaven , South Beijing, surprisingly comfortable with great staff and very friendly surrounding local restaurants and shops, see my other review and this one when I see the special price offers!

Room Tip: 1> Check the Holiday Inn website for best prices / dates to get the best bargains 2>> Get...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Hugh M
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear HughMcDaniel,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to share your experience during your rencent stay with us. We are so honoured to know your satisfactory in our hotel. Your remarks are most encouraging. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Beijing Downtown in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Location is terrible I wouldn't stay here again or recommend anyone visiting Beijing stay here.

The rooms are stuffy and ac is rubbish. we were dying from the heat yet it was freezing outside so i hate to imagine what it would be like in summer! & no windows so couldn't even resort to that!

Breakfast was very good though. That's about it!

Also no wifi in rooms which is pretty lame

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank sushy_d
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to post a comment through the internet.

We are deeply concerned to learn of your unpleasant experience during your stay in our hotel. We failed to provide you a comfortable room due to some problems with the ac system caused a little stuffy. Immediately actions have been taken after we knew this issue to avoid such things wouldn’t happen again. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem our reputation by welcoming you back in the not too distant future.