“Stuffy room, no windows and terrible location”

Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing
Ranked #116 of 6,564 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Location is terrible I wouldn't stay here again or recommend anyone visiting Beijing stay here.

The rooms are stuffy and ac is rubbish. we were dying from the heat yet it was freezing outside so i hate to imagine what it would be like in summer! & no windows so couldn't even resort to that!

Breakfast was very good though. That's about it!

Also no wifi in rooms which is pretty lame

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank sushy_d
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to post a comment through the internet.

We are deeply concerned to learn of your unpleasant experience during your stay in our hotel. We failed to provide you a comfortable room due to some problems with the ac system caused a little stuffy. Immediately actions have been taken after we knew this issue to avoid such things wouldn’t happen again. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem our reputation by welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed April 22, 2013

As with most Holiday Inn's this one was clean, comfortable with reasonable staff. The hotel has a nice courtyard which is covered that is nice to have a beer and a snack in the evening. The location is quite central and most of the sights are close by.

Great chooce of food for breakfast, one of the biggest buffets i saw while in China. WiFi is a bit hit and miss and can also be exspensive, i checked my email quickly a few times while there but must have entered in different hours because i got charged several times. This is also should on your bill as phone calls which was a pain for me to get through my exspenses.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to share your experience during your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to know your satisfactory with our service and staff as well as our superior geography position. Your remarks are most encouraging.

Regarding your internet bill, we are pleased to let you know that would be stated as phone connection bill. We could send the detail accounts that showing internet bill to you if you need. I appreciated the details you supplied as they gave us the opportunity to trace the real issues, we have already made a modification on our systerm about this issue and it would't happen again. It is through feed back such as yours that we strive to improve both product and service on a daily basis.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was a great expereince to stay at the Hoilday Inn Downtown Beijing during my business trip I was there for three nights and I would definitely rank it as the best hotel in China . The concierge is fantastic - he will be able to guide you perfectly on the sights and sounds of Beijing as well help in your travel needs to the extent of explianing to the cab driver where you exactly need to go . Just a walk away are numerous food joints of different varieties - Japanese , Thai,Authentic Chinese.Western as well as the perennial favourites like KFC and Mac's . Rooms are a bit small but the thoughtfulness of providing the toiletries keeping in mind the sub zero temperatures are just right ! The staff are really nice and the Breakfast buffet has literally everything . We tried the Chinese restuarent at the hotel the day we checked in and the pains the waitress took in explaining each dish in English was really helpful . In case you are taking the tube the Fuchengein station is just next door and for tourists Tianmen Square and The Forbidden City are just a 15 minute cab ride away even in the notorious Beijing traffic . If you are adventurous the conceirge will get you tickets for the Kung Fu show in the evenings and even arrange your transpaortation . Highly recommended both for business travellers as well as for family trips .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Prasenjit D
Ada L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking your precious time to evaluate the service and facilities and also share your stay experience with us! Your remarks are most encouraging.
We are delighted to konw that you throughtly enjoy your stay with us and truly appreciated our friendly concierge, conconvenient location, well-appointed facilities. Moreover, you found our employees to be polite and helpful. My colleagues will also be pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of our efforts and we will keep working hard to continuously maintain our high quality services.

We are looking forward to seeing you in the not too distance future.

Best regards

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We chose this hotel in Beijing as it was good value and fairly close to people we were visiting. The rooms were clean and reasonably furnished, nothing spectacular but all adequate. The check-in was easy and the staff were very efficient. The concierge staff were particularly helpful throughout our stay and deserve a special mention. The hotel is situated near a very busy road and there was some road noise. Not enough to bother me when sleeping, but worth noting if you are sensitive to that kind of thing. The hotel is near a metro station so it's easy to get about the city, however, there are a number of shopping outlets within walking distance which are worth investigating.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay. My only criticism (which is with all Holiday Inn's not just this one) is the charge for the internet. There are a lot lesser hotels where internet is free. However, it's a minor point. I will certainly consider staying here again on my next trip to Beijing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank emnjnee
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing last December as part of a long China trip. We checked in pretty late and for tried travellers, nothings works better than smiling, helpful faces and a quick check in. The hotel staff scored high on all these counts and I checked in and was in my room within minutes. The room, though small by many international standards, was extremely cosy and the decor and features were thoughtfully provided. The bathroom was well stocked with the needful and extremely practical though small. We came down to have dinner at the coffee shop pretty late and they were still open and well stocked with a nice spread. I also needed to get some documents printed and the staff were present and helpful even at that late hour.

I had to check out really early in the morning and the staff was extremely helpful with that and breakfast at the coffee shop was readily provided at 5 am. The breakfast, even at that hour was a lavish spread and the staff present were catering to all my demands with ease.

Check out was swift and the staff took special care to ensure that I was not exposed to the sub zero temperature in the morning and got the car as close possible to the door. Excellent experience, highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ANKMukherjee
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing 2 weeks. We were traveling on our own and were not sure if we'd made the right choice of hotel until we arrived. The hotel was clean, modern and the service was exceptional. The room looked exactly like the one in the hotel advertisement - something that doesn't always happen. It is located near a metro stop (which we used daily) and there is a wonderful t bakery near the metro stop. The staff was most helpful. The room was large, with a flat screen TV and had an electric water kettle which we used quite a bit. We were given 2 bottles of water daily and contrary to many things we'd read, the bed was comfortable (not hard) and the pillows were too. After 10 days, we left our large luggage at the hotel, checked out and flew to Xian. When we returned, we were given another room on a different floor which, though different from the first, was equally as pleasant. Needless to say we truly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Hi, my wife, myself and our 6 month old baby stayed here for 5 nights last October.
We chose the executive room as it looked spacious, included breakfast and also for the location.
The location is excellent, 5 mins and your on the metro zipping around Beijing...Best place in China so far!!
The room we were allocated to be brunt was horrifying... I've never seen such a small room and certainly wasn't like the website.
It was a tad tardy with plastic headboard bits on the pillows..
I made a complaint and was told all the rooms were the same...
However they'd upgrade me, low behold to the very same room that was on the website advertising as the executive room..
I went to the club lounge most nights, nice desserts and free beer, surprisingly empty and had some hot snacks though not that appetising..
We went down to breakfast the first morning, after a mix up with the staff telling me we could only have 1 breakfast between us??
I chose the usual western favourites, these were stone cold, I asked the chef to heat up and this proved to be too difficult, it disappeared and returned 5 minutes slightly more cold..
Not happy i wrote a note for the manager explaining my concerns and left for a very enjoyable day in Beijing.
On my return a lovely lady..Cindy? came up to our room, apologised and moved us next door into a suite, complete with a bottle of red and an invitation to dinner in the Chinese restaurant.
The room slightly smelt of cigarettes despite being an non smoking room, apparently this was normal in China..
Each day breakfast was the same disappointing(I am fussy) but I got used to it, I enjoyed the club room each night and the room was now fantastic.
Would I stay again, yes I would the location is superb, hotel is nice however I would check which room I was in first.
Well done to the management who could have alienated me from Holiday Inns forever, I will for sure stay here again on my next trip, probably not worry about eating in the hotel but stay again I will..

Room Tip: Executive Level ask for the same as picture on the website