“What a great hotel, we loved it.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing

Holiday Inn Downtown Beijing
Ranked #109 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
UK
“What a great hotel, we loved it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is a great hotel to have to spend 3 nights in, ( a rare treat on this type of tour) the rooms were what you would expect from a Holiday Inn and all the facilities were top notch. The restaurant was good for the one evening meal we had there and again the breakfast selection and quality were astounding. We did have a wander around the streets near the hotel and found some interesting little shops, we also felt very safe. We were so exhausted from our tours every day, it was also very hot whilst we were in Beijing, that we slept very well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bazcalUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
CARRICKFERGUS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed 3 nights here as part of a tour around China
Room very good - clean, modern, beds very comfortable, bathroom again very clean and modern.
Restaurant located on ground floor, catered for western and Chinese appetites - cereals, fresh fruit, cooked food, fresh fruit juices etc.
Located as it says 'Downtown' but as we were part of tour, all our travelling by coach and 'sights' not too distant.
Staff very helpful and efficient, money changing machine located in modern still lobby - note, we tried to change a couple of crisp, new £20 notes and the machine rejected them - staff at reception will convert money anyway.
Definitely would stay again another time.

1 Thank GAZBOW
Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

I just love the concept of HI in China. It is positioned below Sheraton and similar brands, but more affordable and easy. The hotel itself is quite old, which is visible from the aluminum alloy window frame. Yet it is maintained well. The room is not big, but adequate. Overall, it is a top choice for your money, and it is situated at a great location. With trusted brand at a great spot offering acceptable rates, it is all you need.
Just keep the rooms well and I'll come back for sure.

Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Very Good hotel, staffs speaks decent english and polite, excellent rooms with modern design and great interiors with good lighting with wi-fi, appreciate the size of the room, wide enough for two persons, location is just beside the mall and several 24 hours convenience stores just outside though it is not situated where the tourist roam around, it's about 30minutes away from Wang Fu Jing by car, great shopping strip area. What made me like this hotel is the atm foreign exchange, you can easily slip your dollars and voila!!! you got your chinese (rmb) yuan, this gives great convenience to any hotel guest and makes you safe from any thief. You can change any currency at anytime of the day...secondly, if you happen to eat breakfast leaving your bags while you fetch food, the restaurant staffs will tie them up in your seat to prevent from falling or being taken away for some reasons which is a very unique personal service, the first I've seen in many hotels I've stayed with. Strongly recommend this Hotel if you are a tourist who likes to have a peaceful setting who wants to have a quiet time after a long day at a tour.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Room is clean, friendly staff, and stone throw away to the nearest subway station. Breakfast not so good though, better to have it in a nearby McDonald or KFC. Don't forget to ask instructions at the frontdesk to where you are heading written in English and in Chinese before you leave hotel. You don't wanna end up somewhere you are not supposed to be.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pnoyexplorer
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I had a good experience at this hotel.

Location: I took the subway to the hotel (for future reference, take Line 2 to the Funchengmen station, exit A. After the exit, turn right walk down the block, turn right on the next street, and the hotel is across from the hospital). There is a decent sized grocery store, two shopping malls, several Chinese restaurants, and a McDonald's and KFC nearby). The close proximity to the subway made sightseeing around the city easier.

Check-in: Friendly and efficient. English was good. I was recognized as a Gold Priority Club member, received a free "welcome drink" in the Garden Court restaurant, and was told that I had been upgraded to a "business floor room."

Room: The room was small but nice. I'm not sure what the "business floor" upgrade meant, but I was facing the courtyard, as opposed to the noisy street, which was much appreciated. There was a mini-bar with exorbitant (by Chinese standards, expensive by Western standards) prices. I didn't partake, but appreciate the convenience. There were numerous amenities provided complimentary, including dental kits (with toothbrush and toothpaste), shaving kits, sewing kits, combs, body wash, soap, shampoo and conditioner. The shower featured a bench and handicap style shower head. The bed was comfortable for me, and I slept great. The air conditioning in the room worked great and kept the room cool. Drapes did a good job of keeping the room dark. Housekeeping kept the room clean throughout my stay.

Restaurants: Other than the free welcome drink I received, I did not eat at the hotel restaurants, as the prices were quite expensive compared to other Chinese restaurants in Beijing. Even the complimentary drink was 38 RMB for a TsingTao beer, which I felt was quite expensive.

Other services: The hotel has a concierge, money exchange machine, gym, convenience store, massage center, hair salon, none of which I used.

Check-out: Friendly, with good English again. I was properly charged 60RMB/day for the internet, which I could live with.

One other note: I noticed very few westerners in the hotel. It appeared that the hotel mainly caters to Chinese visitors. Not saying this is good or bad, just an observation.

I would recommend this hotel for those looking for safe, clean, and reliable lodging.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Fzedlach
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

Hotel was nice enough given the rates we got through the tour and Agoda. Location was great as well because it was near the Fuchengmen subway station so we can easily go wherever we wanted to go. Downside is that the beddings and curtains are dirty. I requested for a change in beddings (bedsheet + comforter), but the housekeeping staff only replaced the comforter. The dirt marks from when I first arrived were still there until we left the hotel. That's 5 nights in total. Also, there were white stuff floating in the hotel room when we patted the beds. I don't know what these were, but I've never seen them in any of the hotels I stayed in before. Frontdesk staff was very helpful and spoke good English, which is a rare commodity in the area.

Unrelated to the hotel experience, I want to caution everyone to BEWARE of a tour guide named EMILY. I booked our tour from Holiday Tours (via Flights R Us in the Philippines) and they gave us the worst tour guide I have ever met. I didn't mind that she brought us to places where we were pressured to buy lots of souvenir items like the Jade and Silk factory. What I minded was that she:

1. Always hurried us up when we were in "non-revenue generating" locations such as the Great Wall, Ming Tombs, etc. Plus, unlike other tour guides, she never shared any historical tidbits to us. She didn't even know which Emperor was buried in the Ming Tomb!
2. Never stopped complaining about the heat, the crowds, long walks during tours and the non-stop talking she has do to (hello! this is what she's paid to do!). She even complained about picking us up in the airport at 12am, which is when our plane arrived!
3. Constantly bashed Filipinos and the Philippines in general.
4. Even after all the complaints, asked for additional tip despite the fact that we already paid $6 per day per person prior to our trip. She claimed that the Philippine (again!) tour operators lied to us about this and that they were keeping the tips for themselves.
5. Our tour was cut down from 3 days to just 2 days and we were cheated out of 2 dinners and a trip to the Birds Nest and Water Cube (she only brought us to an overpass overlooking the Birds Nest)

We tried to complain, but again, the language barrier was such an easy excuse for her not to understand us. Needless to say, I did NOT give her any additional tips.

Room Tip: Even if your booking states a non-smoking room, always ask for it outright when you check in.