We stayed at the Peking International Youth Hostel for five days in November, 2012 in a private/double room. This was our first time there, our first time in Beijing, and our first time in China. Long story short, I recommend the Peking Youth Hostel and would stay there again.
Here are some things to consider if you are thinking about staying there too:
The hostel is located on one of the Hutongs in a historic part of Beijing. This is both the best and worst part about it, depending on your perspective. If you are familiar with the old Hutongs and know that you want to stay there, then definitely, go and book a room at this hostel/hotel.
If you're not familiar with the location, then here are some notes:
- This is the old part of Beijing, the streets around the hostel are full of character and characters; there is little in the way of modern high rises, big chain stores, etc.
- The main street (Nanluoguxing) is a really, really cool street with nice shops and plenty of street food. Many tourists come here, including a lot of Chinese. You get the sense that it is a novelty even for them.
- Walking around this street and seeing all the people (both the locals setting up shop in the morning, and the tourist crowds in the afternoon / evening) was the highlight of our time in Beijing
- Since this is an old part of the city, and you are in Beijing, the area is dirty. There is a pervasive smell of sewage (not quite as bad as that probably sounds), in and around the hostel. Our bathroom smelled awful.
- You can't flush toilet paper. This is normal here and in other parts of the world, but may come as a shock to some people. You have to throw your used toilet paper in a bin next to the toilet.
- Very few people in this neighborhood speak English
- You have to walk quite far down this street to get a taxi, and the metro is quite far as well. There are plenty of buses, but we never used them.
As far as the hostel itself:
The hostel staff are very friendly and helpful, especially the young girl at the front desk with short hair. The biggest mistake we made was not using them enough. They can book a taxi or private car for you, arrange tours, and write addresses of restaurants, etc. in Chinese so that you can show them to taxi drivers and others (who will not be able to read English characters).
The design of the hostel is very, very nice. They have fresh flowers everywhere, comfortable furniture with a cool distressed feel to it. They also keep it very clean. I mentioned the smell above, but that's not due to any lack of sanitation on their part, it's just the reality of the neighborhood.
In terms of cost, you can compare for yourself and decide. This is not the cheapest place to find a bed in Beijing, nor is it as expensive as a chain-hotel. We paid about 450 RMB per night for a double room.
In summary, the location of this hostel is not for everyone, but if you want to see the old Hutong neighborhoods and don't mind the associated challenges, then this place is a great choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A lively hostel! If you like to be surrounded by flowers, and if you like to feel like home when you travel, this is the right place for you!Peking International Youth Hostel is situated at the most charming and popular Hutong Conservative District in Beijing - the south of Nanluoguxiang. It is located near the very heart of the city, in the Dongcheng District. The alley's north end is enclosed by Gulou and Zhonglou. A little south-west at the end of the alley, is the middle axis of Beijing where the Jingshan Park, the Forbidden City and the Tiananmen Square sits along. The gorgeous night time attraction sites, Houhai, Qianhai and Shishahai is just to the west of the alley, in a distance that should take you around only 10 to 15 minutes walk through Yu'er Hutong. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HostelWorld, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Peking International Youth Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peking International Youth Hotel Beijing