Beijing Wohkoon Hostel-Nan Luo Gu Xiang Branch
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$228
$212
Agoda.com
All reviewsquiet hutongtaxienglishdriversubway
Reviewed September 30, 2010

This was my first trip to China and Beijing was the last stop after Guangzhou and Shanghai. Having struggled a little with booking accommodation, largely due to my lack of Mandarin, I was a little apprehensive when I called Hutongren Culture Hotel to book a room. From the moment the excellent Nora answered the phone I could feel myself relaxing, she not only spoke very good English but was the most helpful receptionist I had come across on my trip and I had stayed in some expensive hotels in Shanghai!

I was not disappointed by the accommodation either. Before leaving for China I had hoped that I would get to stay in a traditional hutong residence and Hutongren fulfilled that wish completely. Before arriving in Beijing where I was to spend a week, I had thought I would try out this place and move if necessary, well within hours of arriving at Hutongren It was an easy decision to stay there the whole week and I never regeretted a moment of my time there.

So what was so good about it? To name but a few, the place itself is a slice of old China. If you are looking for star-rated luxury then this is not for you but if you are keen on staying in a traditional, home-style and friendly atmosphere then this is just the place. The location is briliiant, on a very old and very trendy hutong that is reasonably close to the metro with plenty of cultural sights as well as nightife if you fancy burning the midnight oil. Plenty of restaurants in the vicinity to satisfy appetites for traditional Chinese as well as a range iof other world cuisines. The best of all, in my opinion, is the friendly service and helpful advice about getting around, what to see, how to get there and friendly chats if you want them.

I have no doubt that my time in Beijing would not have been quite so smooth without the advice, support and information I received at Hutongren. Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Found Hutongren through Lonely Planet, and could not have had a better experience. Was traveling with my Dad (he's in his 60s, I'm in my 20s) and the hotel fit the bill for both of us.

It's down Nanluogu Xiang, a fun alley with trinket shops, bars and the occasional strolling duck terrorizing dogs. My dad and I were dropped by our taxi some distance from the hotel after midnight, but there were plenty of Westerners hanging out at bars and cafes to direct us.

Hutongren is small and quiet, with comfortable rooms and small but clean individual bathrooms. We had breakfast in the morning (and beers in the evening) with friendly fellow foreigners in the beautiful courtyard. I dried my laundry on the roof and stayed up late chatting with the staff about China, America, and life as a 20-something in both countries.

The young, efficient three-person staff are the real reason to stay here. They were among the nicest people we met in our entire stay in China-- considerate and friendly, chatty and knowledgeable (and they all spoke excellent English). The vibe is closer to an inn or a bed-and-breakfast, which given its bustling surroundings and central locations was a wonderful surprise. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed September 3, 2010

If you want a warm, friendly, relaxed place to stay in the heart of the trendy hutong district, this is the place for you. Shared courtyard spaces and roof terrace provide places to relax outside your own room and the opportunity to meet and chat with other travellers. Our teenage son loved walking the resident dog and playing with the new puppy.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Had a good time in this hotel, mainly because of the staff was very friendly and helpful! Good location in the heart of Hutong.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Hutong Ren has very friendly staff, who try extremely hard to help guests and make them feel at home. However, the 'hotel' is nothing more than a glorified backpakers, charging exhorbitant rates. I fell in love with the photos, however, they were not taken at this hotel, but at another property belonging to the same owner (and charging even higher rates!). I hope Trip Advisor will take action and ask the hotel to represent itself honestly. The mattresses are well worn, and consist of an inch of foam on a wooden board. The interiors are tired and worn - and cheaply tacky without the value of being antique. It has a great location - but is a terrible rip off. Much better hotels, and in the hutongs can be found for this type of money.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank tizHanoi_Vietnam
Hutongren, Front Office Manager at Beijing Wohkoon Hostel-Nan Luo Gu Xiang Branch, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your comments and we sincerely feel sorry that your stay was not a perfect one.

We renovated Hutongren from last November and just reopened. Most of our rooms right now are using King Koil custom-made mattresses and silk bedding cloth. And the best thing is, our staff are still working hard and trying our best to make our guests a wonderful stay.

Hope we see you in Beijing & welcome to Hutongren:))