Beijing Wohkoon Hostel-Nan Luo Gu Xiang Branch
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
$166
Agoda.com
$355
All reviewsquiet hutongtaxienglishdriversubway
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It was a really pleasant stay for my friend and I. The floor heater was awesome and made our stay full of homely warmth in the harsh and cold weather. The bed was very comfy. Very quaint and contemporary decor, with a very cute house dog Blackie. Breakfast was good too. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank smallshannie
Hutongren, Manager at Beijing Wohkoon Hostel-Nan Luo Gu Xiang Branch, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Hi, thanks for your reviews and recommendation very much. It's our pleasure to bring you a homey feeling in our hotel. We hope we can do more and better in the future. Hope to see you next time.~

Reviewed December 27, 2012

With our kids of 6 and 9 years old, we stayed in the Hutongren Courtyard in August 2012 during 5 nights. At arrival, we were warmly welcomed by Seven and her colleagues, who also gave us plenty of tips to see/to visit. The hotel is well located in the heart of the Hutong (first time it might be difficult to find it..), cosy, calm and clean, incl free wireless internet connection. The tea is great and we enjoyed there "the real holiday feeling". We recommend this hotel warmly for all families & couples visiting the lovely city of Beijing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank raf c

Hi, thanks for your review and appreciation. We hope we can do better and more for our guests. Looking forward to meet you again~

Reviewed December 19, 2012

For our 3 week trip to China and North Korea we picked this hotel out of Lonely Planet for our first couple of nights stay in Beijing and we fell absolutely in love with the little place. Sure it is not super cheap but worth every penny.
Location is great in the middle of busy hutong area with lots of shops, bars and restaurants just around the corner but still it is tucked away in pretty silent little back alley. Only small minus on location is that is quite far away from any Metro station. As it is a small boutiqe hotel it might not have all the amenities that you could get from a big hotel in same price class but on the other hand the nice girls who work there make up for any other little flaws.
We stayed there 3+2 nights as there was no question about going back to the same place when we got back to Beijing at the end of our trip. It actually has a bit of a hostel feeling, or even a bit like staying at someones home. On my birthday i was even served an extra bowl of noodles with my breakfast because according to Chinese tradition you should eat long noodles on your birthday for a long life. Need i say that neither i or my travel buddy had mentioned my birthday, they had simply picked that up from my passport and wished me a happy birthday. That and the welcome tea that they offer upon arrival is just small things that make you feel very welcome and at home.
Rooms were very neat and clean, and the hotel had a very new and fresh feeling to it. The under floor heating kept the room real warm even with sub zero temperatures outside and the beds were probably the best and definitely the softest we had slept in during our 3 week trip around China.
Not sure if this applies even during more busy season but for breakfast they would tend to our requests and even serve us the breakfast in the afternoon as we were quite jet lagged when first arriving.
Also make sure to check try their nice selection of teas which are also sold as souvenirs in their little tea shop. Good for gifts to bring back home.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank andreasstenberg
Hutongren, Manager at Beijing Wohkoon Hostel-Nan Luo Gu Xiang Branch, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Hi, thanks for your long reviews very much. It's our pleasure to let you and your friends get a homey feeling in our hotel. Hope you really had a great memory about beijing and really hope to see you next time. Best regards.~

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I will start out by saying that this place is very difficult to find. If you go from the airport it is useless to give them the actual hotel address because the hotel is located in an alley off of an alley- a cab can take you to the end of the first alley but you will have to walk the last 1/2 block yourself. Actually assume cab drivers won't know how to get anywhere except the absolute most famous tourist sites. other than that- be prepared and bring directions in Chinese.
When you get to the alley, walk straight down and look to your left- the second alley off of that alley is xiao ju-er and is the one you want. The hotel is at the end- past a little fondue restaurant that is quite good. I am posting photos of what this alley looks like for reference.

So the location is a bit annoying to find the first time but it is such an amazing location that it is worth it. There is so much going on right outside the doors of the hotel- great food, shops, bars, etc. Fantastic way to experience the city in a more intimate way!

The tea is quite nice and the women who work there speak very good english and are very helpful. The whole place is a very peaceful contrast to what is outside it's doors, with a fun, lively nightlife. The one big downside is the internet. They claim to have internet access but it is slow to the point of nonexistence. I was not once able to download a webpage while connected. I ended up having to use cell data to access the web. Just plan ahead and buy international data plan for your phone or get a simcard and data when you arrive in china.

The hotel offers to book trips for you also. I went on the great wall trip without the added shopping, mostly because it left at 7:30am instead of 6am. This trip was reasonably priced and really great- it included the drive to a really impressive section of the wall and an english speaking guide to tell you about your options (you can tobaggen down the hill to get off the wall- highly recommended!) but she leaves you alone for the few hours on the wall and it also includes lunch at a little restaurant in the nearby village. I also did the peking acrobats show and though it was again reasonably priced, i essentially was chauffeured to the location, the driver purchased my ticket, gave me instructions to meet him back at the prearranged spot at the end of the show and sent me on my way. Nice way to have some structure but also enough independence that you don't feel like someone is babysitting you.

I would highly recommend this place. A former student joined me in the area (she is native Beijingren) because she lives further out in Beijing and she actually made plans to stay there with a friend so they could have a fun weekend of hanging out in that neighborhood- so I can honestly say that even locals like it!

Room Tip: I chose the smallest room because I don't spend much time in my room when I travel. It was very inexpensive but the downsides are that it is off the main eating/entrance area and the window goes to the alley (it is the only room that is on the ground floor and out facing) it also had a euro-style bathroom with just a shower nozzle between the sink and toilet to wash yourself off. None of this bothered me but it might bother some. A friend stayed in the next cheapest room and it had a full sized bed, shower, etc and did not have a window to the ground floor alley.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank koneko2

Hi, thanks for your long and significant review very much! I'm very glad that you had a good time in Beijng and in our hotel. Your review and advices will be so helpful for us and for other readers. And we will try to make the wifi more better. Much obliged again! ~

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Hi, my name is Jacob and in June of 2012 I spent a few days at Hutongren Courtyard Hotel in Beijing. I was very happy with my stay there. The location was fantastic, among Beijing hutongs, very close to eating, drinking and shopping establishments. The hotel is small, very clean and tidy. The staff are very nice, helpful and friendly and speak very good English. They also make great breakfast each morning. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo