“elegant hotel in convenient location”

Hilton Beijing Wangfujing
Ranked #24 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
east anglia
“elegant hotel in convenient location”
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I just completed two short stays here. Booked cheapest room, was upgraded to king executive room (not suite) both times, with access to the executive lounge (am HH gold). My first stay was upon arrival in BJ – from the AA flight that gets in at midnight. As outlined in an earlier post, I was concerned with regards to securing a room. I had e-mailed the hotel a couple of days before my arrival, and they confirmed that a room (upgraded) would be made available. Check-in was friendly and seamless, and I went up to my room -- noone offered to take my luggage, which was fine by me.

The room is fairly large – the design is v. modern in feel – the bathroom is ‘open plan’, with two small separate cubicles for the toilet and shower, with separate bath in the open area. A small touch, but I particularly liked the silk curtains. There is an extensive minibar which I did not use, an iron/board hidden in a nifty secret cabinet, and plenty of space for luggage and clothes. Both rooms I stayed in had printers – but in the second, there was no usb cable for me to attach it to my computer. It’s possible that there was bluetooth or wireless connectivity, but since all buttons were in Chinese characters, and random pressing of buttons didn’t do anything, I’m not sure. There is wired, but no wireless in the rooms (except in my first room, I was directly beneath the lounge, so could use their wireless signal). This is a major flaw in an otherwise v. well designed room, since one can’t, e.g. use one’s laptop in bed. There is a largeish flatscreen tv (and one for the bath aswell), lots of Chinese and a few English tv channels, and a dvd library one can borrow from at the front desk. On my second stay, the room also had a welcome gift of macaroons, chocolates and a small vase with two lilies – a nice touch. The view from either room was v. nondescript. The shower is amazing – v. powerful double shower head, and the option of ‘rainfall’ from the ceiling – although no way I could figure to have both at the same time. Going from the sublime to the ridiculous, or rather mundane. The toilet paper is awful. I thought it was possibly a China thing -- but a stay at a one star hotel on the same trip had better offerings. It just made the management look cheap in an otherwise upscale hotel.

I checked out the pool area, but didn’t use it. It is on the 6th floor next to the spa – indoors, but with glass walls and roof, and looked v. nice. The lounge is a reasonable size. The complementary breakfast is here. This was fairly substantial, with both western and Chinese offerings, although the food selection did not seem to vary. I don’t drink, so I didn’t check out the booze selection. One evening I managed to check out the ‘cocktail hour’ – which involved various small bites/plates. It was rather cute, if not terribly substantial. The lounge is open 06:00 to 23:00, but e.g. because I was checking out v. early to catch my flight on my last stay, they arranged a ‘breakfast box’ to take with me to eat from in the taxi, which I very much appreciated. The staff are v. friendly – in the lounge and throughout the hotel. However, there is the issue of ‘face’. I asked the concierge on my first morning a rather difficult task – to book a table (for one) at Da Dong for that evening. He informed me that they are difficult to get into, but said that he should be able get a table for 18:30. I went down to the lobby at 17:50 to enquire about directions etc (having been out most of the day) – a different concierge was there. He could find no sign of the reservation or attempt at making one, and the only table available was in 10 minutes (which I took – review in China section). The original concierge showed up, and eventually explained that had not been able to secure a table for the time he had suggested – I didn’t mind that at all. I minded that no message was left for me to that effect. It was as if it was easier to pretend that the original interaction had never happened than to admit failure.

The location is v. convenient – it is slap bang in middle of Dongcheng, but then again, so are many, many other hotels. One can walk easily to the Forbidden city etc., and there are two subway stations each within a 10 minute walk.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here. The hotel has a very nice vibe, and the staff were v. friendly. It is not cheap by Beijing standards, but by international standards for world class cities the rates are reasonable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We stayed at the Hilton Wangfujing for four nights prior to traveling to Changsha to our son's wedding. Reviews of the hotel do not do it justice. This is an outstanding property and the rooms are spacious, comfortable and well-appointed. The conceirge staff is professional and more than helpful and patient with Americans who need directions, translations and reservations. We booked a tour of the Great Wall through the hotel and it was a great trip - our guide Phoebe was excellent. However if you do the same be aware that side trips to the cloisonne and jade factories are part of the tour plan. If you don't want to be held captive at either of these tourist traps - tell them in advance. It's impossible not to go, once you've left the hotel. The hours wasted at the factories impacted the remainder of our day. Regardless, the staff, the hotel and our stay were memorable and first rate.

France
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Location, location location.A superb hotel right there where the action is in Beijing. Stores shopping, and walking distance to the forbidden city. Convenient transport (subway), but the best is the fantastic pool - What a treat. Nice rooms, although, surprizingly not a really great view (in all directions one simply looks at the next buildings). The online info talks abot view of the forbidden city - hard to imagine as the hotel is not really that high, but still: modern, convenient and very elegant.

• Stayed February 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2010

The best of all the 5 star hotels we have stayed at in Asia in 8 countries. The location was good (literally short stroll to Wangfujing Street), the room was fabulous and very spacious with separate toilet, huge bathroom with bathtub (which we did not use), double shower (not in bathtub) with soft and firm shower roses, walk in robe with space for suitcases, fantastic ultra comffortable king size bed, couch and desk. Very modern in its decour - perhaps only wish was that the lighting and colur decour could be a bit brighter but that may be to do with our age (circa 55-60). Staff and service were great - both restaurants top class and very reasonably priced with good menus (buffet available in one). Will definitely stay again!

brisbane
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stayed with my wife and 2 kids for 1 week in September 2010 - this turned out to be an excellent choice for accommodation. The room is equipped with lovely extras which made our stay very comfortable - from the bed-controlled curtains/blinds to a separate bath-tub with dedicated TV and water-proof remote control, complete with water duckies, which the kids loved! It's located right next to a newly opened shopping complex, the top floor of which has a "Food Republic" food court with great variety - my son is still talking about the fried quail eggs and the tepanyaki fried rice! And as you walk out the other side of the shopping complex, be prepared to have your breath taken away by the sheer sight of Wangfujing mall, which rivals Shanghai's Nanking mall in size and character - walk a little further along and the night market appears, where you can see other brave tourists consume scorpions, centipedes and starfish! We found the concierge and doormen very helpful in negotiating day trips with the non-English speaking taxi-drivers: For around Australian $100, the whole family enjoyed a 1-day flexible itinerary in a taxi visiting the Great Wall, the Ming Tombs and the Birdsnest Stadium. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank paul_and_family
israel
Reviewed October 7, 2010

dont even think about another hotel

this is the best place for you

great location

great service

you must be at the excutive lounge- its amaizing

when you'll check in there you'll meet SARAH, she is the most nice person on earth

the happy hour is great with a lots of alcohol, you'll meet all the nice waiters, specially FIELDA, such a nice person, a huge smile!!!!

the only problem is that you are eating too much at the happy hour ...........

so one night we didnt go to the happy hour and went eating at their faimous restaurant- CHYNNA

it is the best restaurant we ate in china and have the best roasted duck- if you'll be lucky , your waiters will be ECHO- the best one in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! , made our dinner very special

to sum up- great hotel in great location and great service

1 Thank elad5789
Sydney
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We booked a King Executive Room which gave us access to the Club Lounge for complimentary evening drinks/snacks and breakfast daily. The service & staff were exceptional - always anxious to please and give advice on what to do and see in their city. We believed our room was very generous in size until we saw our friends Lifestyle suite ! Both were beautifully decorated and offered every amenity.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends