It looks like I'm going a bit against the grain with this review. At the outset let me say that this hotel stay fell in the midst of a trip that included some of the most incredible hotels in the world (all of the Hilton portfolio as well), so I may have been a bit jaded in respect to some of the specific aspects of this hotel. The staff were, as with every hotel I've stayed at in Asia, impressive and incredibly helpful. The property appeared to be well kept / maintained, clean, and decorated in the new modern Hilton property motif. The room was large, very large in-fact, with a rather grand closet, a small outdoor balcony, a work desk, king-sized bed, etc. as would be expected for a high-end hotel in a city like Beijing. My rather average rating actually has very little do with with the things I would typically care about in a hotel room and had the price point or expectation been different I wouldn't have rated this as average at all.
What my average rating does reflect is a general lack of sense in the function of the room. The rooms are dark, very dark in fact, both in color choices and in the way the different lights are setup. Once you figure out how to control the lights you'll find that they do set a nice mood / ambiance, but are otherwise entirely useless for being used as sight aides. Because the room is so large, and there are so many different lighting schemes that can be employed there is an endless array of light switches tucked into every nook and cranny of the room that operate specific functions. Attempting to figure out how to light the bathroom was particularly challenging as a set of three switches was tucked tightly beside the mini-bar outside of the bathroom. Each light switch has a small icon on it to tell you what it does (sort of), though the icons are again useless because the lights are so low its nearly impossible to read unless you carry a flashlight around with you. Ironing a shirt for business meetings the next day was particularly challenging as the large and well lit closet had no outlets and the nearest place with outlets was in the main bedroom area which had completely useless lighting. There were a number of lights in the room that I never could figure out how to operate even after pushing every switch I could find. Beware of the master switch - one touch of that and you have to start all over attempting to sort out the lighting and air conditioning, etc. as it apparently resets the whole setup.
Again, generally speaking the hotel is top notch, but after traveling around the world to get to the hotel the last thing I want to do is stumble around in the dark trying to figure out which of the 20 switches turns the light on in the bathroom or how to prepare for the next days business meetings while ironing in the dark. If you're on vacation and want a modernly decorated room with a dark edgy ambiance this is a fantastic hotel. For me and the two (2) colleagues I was traveling with (all staying in separate rooms and areas within the hotel), we all had the same experience in each of our locations and as such I would recommend alternate accommodations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Beijing Wangfujing sets the standard for modern comfort. Located on famous Wangfujing Street, the hotel is within an easy walk to the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square. This intimate, lifestyle hotel features 255 guestrooms and suites with highly sophisticated in-room entertainment. The Hilton Beijing Wangfujing specializes in pairing ideal meeting venues with impeccable service. Gourmet palates will relish the fine range of restaurants and lounges offering an eclectic choice of contemporary cuisine and cocktails in chic surroundings. Escape to the peaceful, rejuvenating solitude of the spa. Combining traditional Chinese hospitality with warm and personalized service and an intimate lifestyle ambience, Hilton Beijing Wangfujing is worth discovering. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hilton EMEA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Beijing Wangfujing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Beijing Wangfujing Hotel Beijing
- Hilton International Beijing Wangfujing
- Beijing Hilton