“Decent Hotel - Dark Rooms Lacking Functional Sense”

Hilton Beijing Wangfujing
Ranked #27 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed March 29, 2013

It looks like I'm going a bit against the grain with this review. At the outset let me say that this hotel stay fell in the midst of a trip that included some of the most incredible hotels in the world (all of the Hilton portfolio as well), so I may have been a bit jaded in respect to some of the specific aspects of this hotel. The staff were, as with every hotel I've stayed at in Asia, impressive and incredibly helpful. The property appeared to be well kept / maintained, clean, and decorated in the new modern Hilton property motif. The room was large, very large in-fact, with a rather grand closet, a small outdoor balcony, a work desk, king-sized bed, etc. as would be expected for a high-end hotel in a city like Beijing. My rather average rating actually has very little do with with the things I would typically care about in a hotel room and had the price point or expectation been different I wouldn't have rated this as average at all.

What my average rating does reflect is a general lack of sense in the function of the room. The rooms are dark, very dark in fact, both in color choices and in the way the different lights are setup. Once you figure out how to control the lights you'll find that they do set a nice mood / ambiance, but are otherwise entirely useless for being used as sight aides. Because the room is so large, and there are so many different lighting schemes that can be employed there is an endless array of light switches tucked into every nook and cranny of the room that operate specific functions. Attempting to figure out how to light the bathroom was particularly challenging as a set of three switches was tucked tightly beside the mini-bar outside of the bathroom. Each light switch has a small icon on it to tell you what it does (sort of), though the icons are again useless because the lights are so low its nearly impossible to read unless you carry a flashlight around with you. Ironing a shirt for business meetings the next day was particularly challenging as the large and well lit closet had no outlets and the nearest place with outlets was in the main bedroom area which had completely useless lighting. There were a number of lights in the room that I never could figure out how to operate even after pushing every switch I could find. Beware of the master switch - one touch of that and you have to start all over attempting to sort out the lighting and air conditioning, etc. as it apparently resets the whole setup.

Again, generally speaking the hotel is top notch, but after traveling around the world to get to the hotel the last thing I want to do is stumble around in the dark trying to figure out which of the 20 switches turns the light on in the bathroom or how to prepare for the next days business meetings while ironing in the dark. If you're on vacation and want a modernly decorated room with a dark edgy ambiance this is a fantastic hotel. For me and the two (2) colleagues I was traveling with (all staying in separate rooms and areas within the hotel), we all had the same experience in each of our locations and as such I would recommend alternate accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
WangfujingGM, General Manager at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Mike G,
Thank you for having chosen Hilton Beijing Wangfujing for your recent trip to Beijing. I was sorry to read your otherwise good impression was marred by your frustration with the lights. We try to strike a balance between convenience and personalization and I regret we failed to satisfy your needs in this regard. I appreciate the feedback which will certainly be helpful when planning our next major upgrade of the facilities. Kind regards, Marc de Beer.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,550)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel would have been 4 star if the a/c would have worked the whole time, and if the room was better taken care of. We had problems with the a/c the 3-5 days. Though it was in the 50's during the day and in the low 30's at night, it still got hot at night. I did not want to open the windows as the smog is so terrible, it's bad enough I had to breathe it during the day, I did not want to breathe it at night. But after the 5 th night something happened and it started to cool down in the room. The staff however were good about calling back every time we had a engineer come up to try to fix the problem. We did find out others in our group had the same problem, so I didn't to bother the hotel too much about it.

The room itself is very big and spacious, unlike other hotels I've been to. Large closet, and bathroom area make it nice for a coupe or one person. If English is your first language, the staff speaks very good English.

Hotel is close to shopping in the Wangfujing area, and within Walking distance to the Forbidden City and some of the best restaurants that serve Peking Duck. Don't forget to visit the night food market if you want to channel your inner Andrew Zimmern. Fried crickets, scorpions, sea horse, starfish, snake, you name it, it's here to eat.

There are many hotels in and around Beijing, but for location for tourism, this is a great location.

Dear Southernqt72,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay here on Tripadvisor. As heating in Beijing is centrally regulated, we had a hard time to get the hot water shut off earlier than the stipulated 15th of March, while daytime temperatures were at a balmy 16 - 19 degrees already. When we finally had fresh water running through the pipes the property cooled off significantly. I apologize that you were made to suffer the consequences of this, admittedly, antiquated system. We are working closely with our building management company to avoid similar situations when switching on the heat in the middle of October. With this in mind I hope we will be worthy of your 4th and perhaps event 5th star on a future visit! Kind regards, Marc de Beer

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Excellent property in a great area of Beijing. Top quality amenities and service in all of my 3 stays. The claw foot deep tub and the rubber ducky are really a nice touch. Will stay here again. As typical in Beijing there may be a 10-15 minute wait for a taxi during the busy parts of the day.

Dear Jim and Barbara J,
Thank you for continuing to stay loyal toHilton Beijing Wangfujing. We're glad to know you were satisfied with your stays and appreciate you sharing your opinion. With regards to the taxis, a new initiative has been launched where guests can pre-book their taxi through a web application (via our concierge). This should cut waiting times considerably. We look forward to your next visit.
Best regards, Marc de Beer

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently completed my second stay in the past year at the Hilton Wangfujing. For the second time, they've proved to me that this is really an excellent property. The location is excellent and just about as central as you can get in Beijing. From the tourist perspective, you're steps from the Forbidden City, Wangfujing Pedestrian/snack street and plenty of excellent restaurants. If you're headed elsewhere, you'll never be caught in a situation where you have to drive to/from extreme points in the city given its superbly central location.

For the second time, I emailed the hotel concierge to arrange airport pickup, as well as a tour. They are incredibly responsive and we were able to arrange everything weeks ahead of time, at my leisure, without even picking up the phone. The week prior to arriving, I emailed the front desk to request an executive lounge upgrade, which they confirmed since I was a HHonors Gold Member. Upon arrival, I was met at the curb by a member of the concierge team, who whisked me upstairs to the Exec Lounge for checkin. They sat me in a comfortable chair and brought me a glass of wine as I checked in.

Upon arriving in my room, I was greeted with a tower of fresh sweets and cakes, along with a "thank you" card from the hotel manager for returning. The rooms are modern, large and very comfortable.

The Exec Lounge has a nice breakfast spread, but it can feel cramped when business. The main restaurant has an absolutely superb breakfast with every type of food that you can think of. If you want western food, it's great. It you want Asian food, it's spot on. Do you want a special juice blend? If so, there's a guy standing there all morning waiting to make it for you.

Service, overall, is excellent. The manager of the Exec Lounge is superb and goes out of his way to take care of their guests. Upon departure he gave me his card and told me to contact him if he could help in any way when traveling to Beijing in the future.

I'll certainly be back.

Dear chrisjur,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to our property, and for taking the time to write such an extensive review. We look forward to your return. Best regards, Marc de Beer

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is superb in every way: quality of rooms, cleanliness, public spaces, location, swimming pool, and service at every level - front desk, concierge desk, bellmen, housekeeping, breakfast servers. Although I had seen all of the many good reviews of this hotel, it still exceeded my expectations. Highly recommended. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel here on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read we managed to exceed your expectation and I thank you for recommending us.
Kind regards, Marc de Beer

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is a bit of luxury in Beijing.
Stayed here on business and had a weekend to look around.
The hotel is ideally situated for the centre, all things in walking distance, shops, sights, etc.
Fortunate enough to be upgraded to a executive small suit, luxury in itself.
Having access to the Executive lounge is also good as you can have refreshments (coffee and soft drinks) throughout the day. The options for food in the executive lounge meant that I did not eat in any of the restaurants in the hotel, but the menus looked really good and I imagine food would be good too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
WangfujingGM, General Manager at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear R5GJM,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our location and the Lounge. I hope you will have the opportunity to try our restaurants next time you are in Beijing. We are quite famous for our Peking Duck! Best regards, Marc de Beer

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel delivers the reassuringly familiar Hilton brand in a city where little else seems familiar!
The rooms are large and well finished. Very comfortable beds and linens, luxurious bathrooms. Upgraded to exec floor as HH-gold which had a terrific lounge with good evening snacks and a terrific breakfast spread.
A good choice in central beijing

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear abracadabra007,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here on Tripadvisor, I was delighted to read you were happy you had chosen to stay with us. We hope to be able to welcome you or any of your friends with us in the near future. Kind regards, Marc de Beer