“This Hilton can give the US and Europe properties a lesson in customer service!”

Hilton Beijing Wangfujing
Ranked #25 of 6,462 Hotels in Beijing
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed December 29, 2012

As a Diamond VIP HHonors member, I was impressed when I received an e-mail from Stone Du, the Executive Lounge Manager, 1 week prior to our arrival at the property. He welcomed me to the property, noted that I would be upgraded based on my HHonors status and offered to set up any airport transportation if needed. We checked in around 1am and were upgraded to a suite. We were personally greeted by Stone the next morning when we went to the Executive Lounge for breakfast. There was a large variety of both Eastern and Western options in their buffet, including cooked to order eggs. There seemed to be just as many items available- both hot and cold- as was available in the hotel restaurant.
The service was outstanding- from the staff at the Executive Lounge to the front desk staff! We never saw less than 2-3 staff available for assistance. They consistently went above and beyond to provide whatever was needed- for example; one afternoon at tea in the Executive Lounge we requested a specific tea (that we had just had in the spa after our massages), but they did not have it in the lounge. No big deal, we had water instead. But when we were getting up to leave, they asked if we would mind staying a few minutes- as they had sent someone down to the 5th floor restaurant to get the tea we wanted!
We often use our HHonors points for vacation in Europe and have stayed at Hilton properties in Rome, Stockholm, Vienna, Glasgow, Sorrento, and several other major cities. I have never seen this level of customer service (not even close) at any of those properties and I was also a Diamond HHonor member during those stays.
The location, as noted in other reviews, was fantastic. Everything was within walking distance. It was very cold, but that was good as we walked briskly.
I would absolutely recommend this Hilton property and would stay there again without hesitation! Kudos to Mr. Stone Du and his staff in the Executive Lounge for their outstanding customer service!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

What a lovely respite after a 13.5 hour flight that was delayed by two hours. I was sent directly to the Executive Lounge to check in. During the check in process I also was able to book tours for the next two days while sipping champagne. My room which was a suite was wonderful. Very large with a fabulous bath and great bath amenities. The entire staff was very professional. The breakfast in the lounge was terrific as was the evening happy hour. Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

A very good hotel with fine service. It was the only hotel in which I stayed in China that was clearly up to international standards. I would have given it a fifth star but I made the mistake of reserving an upgraded room. While they did give me a upgraded room, they did not give me the exact type of room I reserved. They politely told me that while the room I booked from the picture in the website was a little bigger and a little nicer than what I received, the company put "the pictures of their nicest rooms" on the website, and this one (although not quite as nice) was in the same category (even though it matched the pictures of a different category). Still, the room was fine, and this was not a big deal.

The staff was generally excellent. The conceirge took about an hour solving a problem with the airline for me, all in the best of humor. Far beyond the call of duty.

The only other downside was that it was sometimes difficult to get a taxi. There is already a shortage of taxis in Beijing, and the hotel is kind of tucked away from where the taxis come by. Overall, this hotel caters well to the international crowd.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Big rooms, bath and shower Excellent , full electronic control over lights Drapes AC etc, fully Equipped , you can tell the some time passed from latest renovation.,,,
Only 50 meters from wangfujing pedestrian street
Breakfast is a must , fresh juice local dishes and some western ,
Best hotel in Beijing

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Alboher
WangfujingGM, General Manager at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Alboher,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you consider Hilton Beijing Wangfujing the best hotel in Beijing. We will continue to exert our maximum effort to ensure hassle free and memorable stays. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you once again for your complimentary words. Kind regards, Marc de Beer
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed in a Premier Suite for 3 nights. The hotel is conveniently located at the heart of Wangfujing, with a shopping mall nearby, and the famous tourist attractions such as Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, National Museum fairly nearby. The famous "Da Dong" roast duck restaurant is a mere 5-10min walk (in the freezing cold though) from the hotel--a must do when in Beijing
The suite is very spacious, with a generous living room and a separate masterbedroom. Depending on your liking, the hotel design is a bit "dim" , even with all the lights switched on, the room is still dim , but perhaps this varies from one to another. The furniture shows a bit of wear and tear (the wooden wardrobe shows visible scratches). and the bedsheets and duvet are a bit rough to my liking
The executive lounge is a very welcoming feature of the hotel; staff at the lounge are very professional; breakfast selection was adequate, and the quality of food was very good. There is also free wifi in the lounge (free in the room if you are Hhonors Gold or above).
Perhaps the only small criticism I have is with the checkin staff at the hotel lobby; during checkin the staff asked whether we would like to pay extra for breakfast, not aware that the suite has access to the lounge which includes breakfast; we also have another executive room which was kindly upgraded to an executive lifestyle suite, but was not pointed out during checkin (perhaps I'm being a bit too mean here). And finally during checkout, the attitude of the staff was a bit cold (not rude though).
Otherwise a very good Hilton property. Noticed that the Waldorf Astoria is being built just opposite the Hilton so would be interesting to see how this will affect the client flow (not to mention a Conrad Beijing opening in 2013)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WangfujingGM, General Manager at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear zwgc2,

Thank you so much for having chosen to stay wih us and for reviewing your experience here on TripAdvisor. I was thrilled that you and your family enjoyed our service and facilities. The larger Premier Suite tends to be a bit darker than other room types due to its size (107 square meters). It seems our laundry may have over-starched the sheets, they are usually very soft and give a luxurious feel. I'm sorry you did not get to experience this. While we have a comprehensive upkeep program, we shall be upgrading and renovating our facilities on a regular basis to keep our property fresh and in tip top condition.
The new hotels from our family of brands will offer a distinctly different experience from us, and we are confident Beijing is large enough and attracts a large enough variety of clientele for all of us to be successful.
Thank you once again for your review, and hopefully we may have the pleasure of your presence again soon. Best regards, Marc de Beer
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We spent a long weekend with friends in Beijing and stayed a few nights at the Hilton Wangfujing. Overall I was very impressed. The hotel is huge with sleek and trendy decor. Check in was quick and we were pleasantly surprised as we were upgraded to a slightly larger room.

Our room was HUGE but very cozy. There was a whole room inside our room that I didn't even discover until the following day! Enormous bathroom with a great shower, very comfortable bed (not too hard or too soft), a sitting area and a desk. On our last day in Beijing it snowed so we stayed in and just enjoyed the room before checking out.

We had the buffet breakfast each morning and loved it. Fresh juices, an omelet station, fruits, waffles, etc. It had a little bit of everything, all of which was delicious. Excellent, strong coffee as well, which was served in a french press that is replenished until you are ready to fly out of the room on a caffeine high. We had cocktails one night in the bar and they were perfect - strong and tasty!

Location was great - we could easily walk to the forbidden city, Tiananmen Square, etc.- and there are tons of malls/shops nearby. Getting a taxi from the hotel was always quick and very easy. All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only odd experience I had at the Hilton took place when I tried to use the pool. They have a lovely, large, heated pool that I was very much looking forward to swimming in. The first time I went to the pool (you have to check in at the spa desk) I was asked very politely to sign in, then I was asked if I had a swimming cap. This wasn't abnormal as most hotels I've stayed at in Asia have required you to wear a swimming cap, which they normally supply. However, when I said I didn't have one the front desk staff then told me I would need to purchase one. I asked if that was really necessary and if they had one I could use, to which they said no. So I said never mind, I won't use the pool. Then they suddenly had one I could borrow. The next day I went through the same process, being asked to buy a cap, then being allowed to borrow one. I didn't research this too closely but I don't recall seeing anything saying swimming caps were mandatory and you had to supply your own, nor have a I ever stayed at a hotel that tried to make me purchase one. Regardless, initially being told I could only use the pool if I purchased a swimming cap kind of put me off. Luckily, this was the only unpleasant experience I had at this hotel.

While getting a taxi from the hotel was easy, getting a taxi anywhere else in Beijing proved to be very difficult. The day we landed in Beijing we had booked a car service to take us from the airport to the Great Wall, then to the Hilton. This worked incredibly well as we avoided a lot of traffic, the car service was excellent and we had beautiful weather (we even saw some patches of clear blue sky!!). A friend had advised me that we should just book the car service for the entire weekend as they remain on call and, while expensive, you can use them as much or as little as you need. We decided against this as we figured we'd be doing a lot of walking and could easily flag down a taxi when needed. We were wrong.

For the rest of our time in Beijing we had freezing cold weather with steady, heavy ran that later turned into snow (it was so wet that I had to abandon my shoes halfway through the day and buy a new pair of shoes and socks at a massive shoe warehouse). Walking in this was unpleasant but we soon discovered we had no choice but to keep going as we were never once able to get a taxi even when stopping at hotels or other places where there would normally be a taxi rank. There are a number of illegal taxis in Beijing, which we made a point to avoid but even those were difficult to find. I don't know if this is normal or if it was just due to the weather but be prepared to walk, use the subway or hire a car service! The subway is hot and crowded but works well and is easy to use.

Despite the weather and our very tired, wet legs, we had a great time and would stay at the Hilton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear T_in_Japan,

Thank you for your very complete review of your experience at our hotel last month. Please accept my sincere apologies for the bathing cap issue. I have discussed this with my team to prevent such a situation from happening again. I was relieved to learn that despite this hiccup you enjoyed the hotel as well as Beijing. Yes, the availability of taxis in Beijing continues to be a head ache, expecially during inclement weather such as you experienced. You did well to avoid the illegal taxis. Besides being more expensive, they carry no insurance to cover their passengers in case of accidents. I hope you will visiti your friends in Beijing again, perhaps in a different season, and that you will consider us as your place to stay again. With kind regards, Marc de Beer
California
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel is closed to the some major attractions in Beijing and walkable to most. The hotel staff provided great service and was helpful with our questions. Most spoke english well. The room was clean and had alot of walking around space. The hotel provided a great exchange rate, so if you are staying here, take advantage of it. One thing to note is that some walls of the bathroom is see thru glass, but with blinds. The door to the toilet and shower room is tinted glass. There was another hotel I stay in on this trip that had similar glass walls with blinds, so i guess it is not a strange design there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LiamWillTravel,

Thank you so much for your complimentary review here on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. I wish you happy future travels in the hope you will keep recommending us and that you will visit us again. Best regards, Marc de Beer