“Breakfast”

Ranked #94 of 6,462 Hotels in Beijing
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Breakfast”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a western Sunday morning breakfast. The restaurant floor was dirty, the croissants were at least a day old and entirely stale, the orange juice had run out and the overall selection of food was well below western standards. The yoghurt was uneatable as it was so sweet.

The staff were invasive, and completely lacking in charm. I've had better breakfasts and service in 2 star German hotels than this supposed 5 star hotel.

On top of everything it was expensive: £18 plus a (non-voluntary) 15% service charge. I really do not recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter E
zhongguancun, Assistant Director of Food & Beverage at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear PeterEde7,

Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun!

Feedback like yours is very valuable to us and enables us to monitor our standards, which on this occasion regretfully has failed to meet your expectations. We are truly sorry for your very unpleasant experience and would like to sincerely apologize for our service and quality failure. To be able to make up for our failure, we would appreciate if you could contact me at Leavis.Shao@ihg.com or call me directly at: 130 1184 0717.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again to witness our efforts and redeem our reputation. Thank you so much in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Leavis Shao,
Assistant Director of Food & Beverage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Singapore
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Dear Duty Manager Mark Weng,
Thank you for your great assistance in accompanying me in a taxi all the way to the airport with the hotel wheel chair when I suffered a slipped disc on 24 Nov and 25 Nov – the day of leaving Beijing back to Singapore. You went out of your way to assist me despite only having one other colleague to man the front desk. You also helped negotiate for an airport wheelchair assistance service at the Singapore Airlines check in counter which wheeled me all the way to my seat.

For that I am truly grateful. I arrived safely in Singapore last Friday and went straight to the hospital for a back surgery. I am recovering now at home.

Can you please let your General Manager Damir Raab know about this and I’d appreciate if he could acknowledge this email.

Thanks again, Mark. You have a great customer-first attitude and are an asset to the hotel.

Best
Derrick KOH

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Density
zhongguancun, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Koh,

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience on this platform, and we all sincerely hope you are recovering well from your injury. I am delighted to learn that Mark was greatly able to assist you all the way to the airplane, and sincere thank you for your kind recognition. Be ensured, I will personally acknowledge Mark for his truly passionate and carrying services. Meanwhile, from the entire team at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun we do hope and pray for your speedy recovery.

Yours faithfully,

Damir Raab
NJ
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable and gracious hotel in an area lacking high end lodging. Rooms are spacious and well appointed, though getting to be a bit tired. English skills are mixed, but the efforts are very earnest and very well intended.

Restaurant (rogue) was good, though service was inconsistent. Club was very good and cozy. Recommended

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Morog
zhongguancun, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Morog,

Warm greeting from Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun!

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your online posting. We aim at building a “Great Hotel Guests Love”. It seems on this occasion we kind of made it.

Hence, I was disappointed to learn about our mixed service within your stay. I have addressed all the points in your review with our hotel management team together with Training Department, in order to prevent similar events from reoccurrence.

Once again, thank you very much for staying with us and your generous feedback; we truly hope being able to welcome you back to witness the efforts.

Kindest regards,

Damir Raab,
Los Altos
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have been treated royally as repeated priority club guests. From doorman, reception, concierge to housekeeping to business center, to dinning room to management, everyone greeted us personally, making us feel very welcomed. We have to return again the next time. Bellboy even went out his way to purchase umbrella and helped me add values into my mobile phone. Housekeepers remembered our routine, and went about their job unobtrusively. The location is convenient for us, although the price is high for us, non-business travelers. Wish their senior discount can be deeper.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to executive floor level, where a lot more services are available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
zhongguancun, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Twosc,

On behalf of the entire team at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, we would like to express our sincere appreciation for your staying with us.

It is always a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks from our loyalty guests, such as yours. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us.

We will certainly share your compliments with all our colleagues, and recognize them accordingy.

Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon again. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at Lyn.Peng@ihg.com for any travel support.

Yours sincerely,

Lyn Peng
Front Office Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

stayed for a few days and found the hotel to be very decent, though a little overpriced. 9/10 staff will greet you politely everytime they meet you. a couple of bellboys were not so friendly and sometimes even give you the "i'm exhausted and can't be bothered" look, which i felt was one of the let downs, esp. since most staff were very well-trained. check-in was smooth and efficient, though a request for a room not facing the main road (zhicun road) was declined. the four elevators serve 20 floors of guests so sometimes you do have to wait awhile.

stayed in the executive floor and the room was very spacious and reasonably well looked after. just the carpet didn't look like they vacuumed it recently. bathroom was tremendously spacious as well with a separate shower, toilet, and bathtub area. do not expect a great view from your windows either way since this is beijing and most days you just get the "cloudy" view. you get a large tv with several channels (enough of non-chinese channels to keep you entertained but i'm not a tv person so all i needed were the news channels e.g. cnn). you get 2 bottled water every day, which is standard in beijing. housekeeping is efficient and helpful and comes around 8am everyday. walls are not very soundproof so sometimes you might hear a neighbor or two who talk too loud or have noisy kids. can't hear their tv though. tried room service once and the food is below average, esp since you can always head out for better food in beijing, though the hotel is not in a touristy area so your options are limited.

gym is of average size with 6 threadmills and gym staff are very helpful with towels and bottled water. bring your own headphones though as the ones stocked at the gym are crappy. heard a few good things about the pool and restaurant but didn't personally try them. breakfast in the exec lounge is not as good as the spread you get in the main restaurant but more privacy and a view (if any) on the 20th floor. if you stay on the exec floors, you also get a free afternoon tea (snacks and cocktail) from 5-7pm.

zhongguancun/haidian is the silicon valley area where universities and microsoft are located, so most people come here for business. for this reason there are few good hotels and crowne plaza (i must admit) must be one of the best in this area. other touristy areas such as wangfujing will offer your usual branded lines but not here. that said, the zhongguancun area has a few malls (including a few famous for buying electronics and repairing iphones) so you should have no problems doing some shopping or dining if you wish. this area has a lot of schools so day-to-day you see students on the streets and i guess to some extent the malls service them as well. not so much street-food here unless you walk to wudaokou (15-20 mins away). closest subway is haidian huangzhuang (lines 4 and 10) which is 7-10 minute walk away. this takes you pretty much to most places. it is esp. close to yuangmingyuan and yiheyuan (just 4/5 stops away) but to go to the east city where the tourists to beijing are, it will take you 45 mins on the subway. taxi everywhere is reasonably priced but traffic is terrible most days/hours. a taxi to the airport is 35mins (no traffic) and up and will cost you around 120 rmb.

overall, it is a very decent hotel, though i think due to the business-oriented crowd in zhongguancun, the hotel is pricey. if you are here for business this is great and you may find a better hotel than this in this area. if you are here as a tourist i will not recommend this area unless you are here solely for the sights in the northwest of the city.

Room Tip: get an executive room. it makes a difference.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cachecacher
zhongguancun, Resident Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Guest, ,

I am delightful to see your detailed comments on your recent stay in Beijing. We truly appreciate all your details in relevance to hotel services, facilities and hotel surroundings. We have taken note on certain areas, where we could do better and have discussed with management team for improvements.

Thank you very much again. It is indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,
Peter Wang
Resident Manager
Beijing, China
Reviewed October 8, 2013

No air conditioning. The guy at front front desk told me Beijing city government ruled that if outside temperature is over 24 c, they are not allowed to turn on central air conditioning. He might be happy with his perfect lie. I felt disgusting. I called again to complain. A lady suggested me to open windows. Who would open windows in a heavily polluted city. Furniture is covered with thick dust. I bet people before me capitulated already. I called another crown plaza in Beijing. I was told they periodically turn on cooling system, at least, they did not give gov ruling joke. I am discomfort inside and out. I give 4 star to cleaness as it is very easy to get lot of dust if you open windows. I should be fair to the house keeping people.

Room Tip: Not facing west and south room if you arrived in no air conditioning season.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
zhongguancun, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Hotel Guest, ,

I am truly sorry for your recent negative experience, while staying with us. We continuously endeavor to offer our guests the best service, which we obviously did not manage this time. I have discussed this matter with my management team and necessary rectifying actions will be taken immediately. Meanwhile, if you wish to contact me directly for further communicates on all relevant details, please feel free to reach me at Damir.Raab@ihg.com. Once again, my sincere apologies and do hope you will honor us with your visit again, so we may redeem our reputation.

Damir Raab
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Sorry to be one of the rare people giving it a bad review...
I had a reservation made for 6 nights, my travel plans changed and I personally called the hotel advising that I would be coming one day late and only staying 5 days, talked to 2 different people who assured me the reservation had been updated accordingly.
Showed up at the hotel after 12 hours flight to be told that my reservation had been cancelled and the hotel was fully. I had to stay at Holiday Inn Haidian, 3 miles away, which is actually a very very nice and quiet hotel.
The management staff made no real effort to try to accomodate. I had to ask that pay for my cab to get to the other hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
zhongguancun, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun on this platform.

At the outset, please accept my unreserved apologies for failing to provide you our professional services, particularly for not being able to accommodate your room reservation. Though those circumstances are very rare, this is certainly not our standard and very regrettable.

We would like to further communicate with you in relevance to above review content, and appreciate if you could contact us separately via Lyn.Peng@ihg.com at your convenience.

Again, I am so sorry for this unfortunate incident, and we do hope to have the opportunity to redeem our reputation by welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

With kindest regards,