“No air conditioning! Dishonest” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun

Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun
Ranked #98 of 6,445 Hotels in Beijing
Beijing, China
“No air conditioning! Dishonest”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

No air conditioning. The guy at front front desk told me Beijing city government ruled that if outside temperature is over 24 c, they are not allowed to turn on central air conditioning. He might be happy with his perfect lie. I felt disgusting. I called again to complain. A lady suggested me to open windows. Who would open windows in a heavily polluted city. Furniture is covered with thick dust. I bet people before me capitulated already. I called another crown plaza in Beijing. I was told they periodically turn on cooling system, at least, they did not give gov ruling joke. I am discomfort inside and out. I give 4 star to cleaness as it is very easy to get lot of dust if you open windows. I should be fair to the house keeping people.

Room Tip: Not facing west and south room if you arrived in no air conditioning season.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
zhongguancun, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Hotel Guest, ,

I am truly sorry for your recent negative experience, while staying with us. We continuously endeavor to offer our guests the best service, which we obviously did not manage this time. I have discussed this matter with my management team and necessary rectifying actions will be taken immediately. Meanwhile, if you wish to contact me directly for further communicates on all relevant details, please feel free to reach me at Damir.Raab@ihg.com. Once again, my sincere apologies and do hope you will honor us with your visit again, so we may redeem our reputation.

Damir Raab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Sorry to be one of the rare people giving it a bad review...
I had a reservation made for 6 nights, my travel plans changed and I personally called the hotel advising that I would be coming one day late and only staying 5 days, talked to 2 different people who assured me the reservation had been updated accordingly.
Showed up at the hotel after 12 hours flight to be told that my reservation had been cancelled and the hotel was fully. I had to stay at Holiday Inn Haidian, 3 miles away, which is actually a very very nice and quiet hotel.
The management staff made no real effort to try to accomodate. I had to ask that pay for my cab to get to the other hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
zhongguancun, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun on this platform.

At the outset, please accept my unreserved apologies for failing to provide you our professional services, particularly for not being able to accommodate your room reservation. Though those circumstances are very rare, this is certainly not our standard and very regrettable.

We would like to further communicate with you in relevance to above review content, and appreciate if you could contact us separately via Lyn.Peng@ihg.com at your convenience.

Again, I am so sorry for this unfortunate incident, and we do hope to have the opportunity to redeem our reputation by welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

With kindest regards,
Lyn Peng
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I stay in the Crowne Plaza hotel often when I travel to Beijing. Very good location and condition. The service of the stuff is great, especially the manager Ann Xu is very caring and friendly. She made sure that the room is comfortable. She showed me several rooms available till I find one I liked.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zhongguancun, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear WayneXiao,

Thank you so much for your kind compliment and your recommendation, we are truly honored and delighted to read your feedback. As we continuously strive to offer our guests great experiences, this is certainly a wonderful encouragement for our team to even do better. Absolutely, Ann Xu is our shiny star and I am so glad to hear, that she was able to impress you by her proficiency and professionalism. Whishing you happy traveling and look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Lyn Peng
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Fantastic hotel with great rooms. nicely located in the science/university area of Beijing and easily reached by taxi from airport with Metro Line access nearby. Service is always fantastic and no fault can be had with the food in the restaurants.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
zhongguancun, Chief Concierge at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Mark,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed compliment on Tripadvisor. We are always truly dedicated to create a “Great Hotel Guests Love”.
Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun is indeed surrounded by many of China’s best universities and global technology firms, Zhongguancun is Beijing’s intellectual and scientific hub. We’re 10 minutes drive from the imperial grounds of Peking University and Tsinghua University and the Shangdi IT district, as well as a 3 minutes stroll from Haidian Huangzhuang Metro Station, an interchange station accessing to Line 4 and Line 10. Not to mention the proximity of Summer Palace and Yuan Ming Yuan, the old Summer Palace.
Look forward to welcome you back in the near future, and feel free to contact our concierge team who can make all necessary arrangements to make your stay once more very enjoyable. Thank you.

Best regards and wishing you safe travels.
Justin Lu
Chief Concierge
bratislava
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

One of the best hotels I was in, the whole hotel is clean the rooms are big and luxuriouse. Everybody is helpfull. the breakfast was always the best part of the day as you can choose from many many different types of food from european, american to japanese sushi :) I went there twice and and will go again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zhongguancun, Director of Food & Beverage at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Marek Fekete,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on this great platform. We are extremely delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay and were satisfied with various aspects of our hotel. Your kind words are surely one of our biggest motivations, which will be surely shared with our team. We wish to have you stay with us again in the future.

Best wishes,
Leavis Shao
Director of Food & Beverage
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Rooms are really nice though the air con doesn't always work (you need to complain at the concierge), DVD in each room, WiFi pretty good, breakfast buffets are excellent, in-room dining very heavy on MSG (need to find some way of communicating this to the hotel!) - most delightful of all, hotel staff extremely willing to help - makes a Beijing visit so much more pleasant.

Room Tip: Location is good if you need to be in Haidian for work (as I do) - very close to subway, but in gene...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun. I will be sharing this comment with the rest of my team who are trying their best to offer outstanding guest experiences. Meanwhile, I am curious to find out and investigate the in-room dining with very heavy MSG. Please be ensured, Intercontinental Hotels Group has issued a clear policy on forbidding any MSG in any of our hotels world wide. Meanwhile, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and being able to be at your service again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
Damir Raab
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Sometimes when you travel, you arrive disorganized even distressed. The last thing you want is a hassle with check in. I had misplaced a critical business document and was not myself when I arrived at the Sheraton. While I must have looked and sounded anxious and confused at the front desk, the service staff member who served me was patient, understanding and reassuring. Even with a number of other guests ready to check in, he saw to a seamless check in for me, patiently reconfirming information he had already told me. I found the document (phew!) and reflected on the easy, professional manner and efficiency of the staff member, whose name, I believe was Ann. We need calm, effective operators, especially in times of crisis. Well done!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Craig B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a great review on this platform. It is our pleasure and honor to know that you had an enjoyable experience at the hotel. I will share your good words with our Front Office Team, particular with Ann. We look forward to having every opportunity to deliver an enjoyable experience to you at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun.

Warmest Regards,