“Great Staff, poor food.”

Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun
Ranked #100 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed April 25, 2013

As mentioned by other reviewers, the staff are outstanding at this hotel. They all greet you, get to know you and go out of their way for you.
The Chinese food is quite good, but all western dishes (including breakfast) is poor and expensive. I ordered a cheese and cracker tray in the lounge, no crackers or bread. I ordered a pizza room service, and it was doughy. I got to breakfast after 9am and as previously mentioned, there wasn't much food left.
Soft beds, which can be hard to come by in China, quiet, large rooms.
I was disappointed that there is smoking allowed by the elevators.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
zhongguancun, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun. We are more than happy to learn your compliments towards our staff and service, which will certainly serve as a motivator for other colleagues. However, your feedback related to breakfast and poor western food has been noted, and is presently being addressed. We continuously strive to improve our service and product quality, but unfortunately things get out of control occasionally. Look forward to welcoming you back to witness our improved efforts.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Chose this location due to its relative proximity to Peking University and around 5 mins walk to the nearest mrt station-Haidianhuangzhuang station on line 10 subway. The hotel lobby is spacious and grand, the staff are very friendly, helpful and patient. My room was extremely cold the first night (I subsequently discovered that the window was left open). I rang up the service counter and 3 staff (including 2 technicians) showed up promptly to help me adjust the air con setting. They even came back with a portable heater. I am very pleased with the service provided. The room and toilet are very spacious. Some points for improvement with breakfast spread though. Food needs to be replace more frequently. Overall, I am very pleased with the stay and would choose to come back here if I have business commitments in this area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Deepest gratitude for sharing your experience on this platform, and thank you for staying with us at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun. As your kind suggestions on breakfast buffet refill, I will address this issue with our Food & Beverage team. We hope to welcome you back very soon, and meanwhile wish you happy traveling.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of nights while on business. The lobby is spacious, the bar comfy and the rooms are well appointed.

The pool was fantastic, and I spent a great deal of time there. As pointed out in other TA reviews, the subway is close by, and a restaurant formerly used to receive Heads of State is just across the road.

Because you're in Haidian District, don't expect to do much shopping or sightseeing. That being said, there are plenty of taxis and the street vendor food is abundant. The problem is not the hotel, it's the city as a whole. I think of Beijing as 3 Torontos in one, that is, if you can imagine every major and non-major artery being as congested as the 401, that would describe Beijing in a nutshell!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank jrocker7
zhongguancun, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Sincere thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun for your recent stay in Beijing and truly appreciate taking your precious time to complete Tripadvisor’s on-line posting. Haidian is certainly a vast district with Summer Palace in the West and Olympic Park in the East. Taxis are available, though as elsewhere in Beijing, difficult to get during peak time, where we therefore recommend making bookings ahead with our concierge.
We do look forward to welcoming you very soon again to our hotel.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that the location is not great for a tourist. It is almost a 45 minute metro ride to the Wangfujing area (Forbidden city). I had some work in this area so the location worked well. Get hotels in the Wangfujing area if you are a tourist.

I had an upgrade to the Crowne Plaza club (get the upgrade its worth it). Breakfast included (which is usually 160 rmb); 100 rmb worth of laundry everyday; free internet and access to club lounge. Club lounge serves free drinks and appetizers everyday from 5 to 7 p.m. They also have a breakfast bar for free but I did not use it.

Front desk and concierge are not fluent in english but make every effort to help you. Everyone has a smile starting from the doorman to the cleaning lady. The metro station is less than a 5 minute walk and there are 3 or 4 malls in a 10 to 15 minute walking range. My suggestions would be din tai fung (dumpling house), south beauty (sichuan style), charme (hong kong style) among others. There is also a McDonald's, Pizza Hut, sushi place among a host of other choices. The hotel has three restaurants but I did not like any of them. Moreover they are expensive compared to the options available in a walkable distance.

I would definitely stay here if i had to go back to this area. Breakfast buffet has a wide spread but the food was almost over when I got there a couple of times between 9 and 9:30 a.m. My suggestion would be get there early or order room service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on this great platform and for your kind suggestions on breakfast buffet refill, which I have addressed with my kitchen management team. Besides being able to enjoy our American Breakfast Buffet from 06:30 am to 10:30 am, we offer Room Service or Club Lounge breakfast as alternative for Club Floor guests. On our journey to continuously improve guest experiences, your kind comments will go a long way help our team to delight our guests. Wishing you happy travels, and do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon again.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

That just sums it up. Average. Food is average. Service is average. Cleanliness is average. Rooms were probably nice as some stage but now dated.

Its all average and but not impressive.

Unless you are working in this part of town, find somewhere better for the money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest, ,

Sincere thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun for your recent stay in Beijing and truly appreciate taking your precious time to post the online feedback. We know that a great hotel always endeavors to improve its service, and with this in mind we greatly appreciate your feedback.

I am truly sorry to learn about your average experience with our food, services and hygiene, which is certainly un-acceptable and does not meet our five star hotel standards. I have seriously reviewed the issues with our management team, who has taken necessary steps to ensure we offer our guests better service and circumstance in future.

Meanwhile, I do hope you will honor us with your visit soon again.

Your’s faithfully,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had a very pleasant and comfortable stay . I would definitely stay again. Nice Spacious and clean rooms. Good selection of breakfast. The staff were very friendly. Most of them can speak in English and this was very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed there in deep cold winter and the room keep warm all the time, its great, Room is in usual crowne plaza style as expected. However, the bathroom is not in good design, the shower area is always leaking out water when finished, which made the floor slipper. On the other hand, the water is not hot enough and every time I need to ring the reception to solve the problem. The location is not too bad, 3 mins walk to the closest metro station, it is not in the central area though.
Front desk is helpful and willing to do some extra do customer, although its still no smile.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback, and your recommendations on your most recent experience within Crowne Plaza Beijing Zhongguancun. I may take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of hot water and leaking in shower area over the Spring Festival period, which we have addressed with our management team. Your comments will surely be our focus for improving our cherished guests well-being and to ensure, this situation does not re-occur again. Our guest rooms have a minimum size of 45m2 and the spacious day-light bathroom are all fit with bath tubs, shower room, WC and large vanity counter. We have added wooden floor panels to a majority of the shower rooms already, for guest’s comfort and safety.
Thank you once again, and may I wish you joyful traveling.
Best regards,