“fantastic stay at opposite house”
Review of The Opposite House

The Opposite House
Ranked #3 of 6,528 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed at opposite house in Beijing 2 weeks ago
it is for me the best hotel in Beijing and maybe the best in all China, I had a fantastic stay.
Very comfortable bed , big space, beautiful design, it is very unique experience
on the top, the service was just above expectation, with very welcoming staff trying to make your stay unforgettable, very efficient without trying to over do it as often in China
Location is also the best possible as in the heart of sanlitun, which is the most convenient area for business but also to go out at night
last but not least , i had an excellent lunch at Sureno, a top Mediterranean restaurant with fantastic wine selection and very high quality wines, and the price was very reasonable too with a bill of 1000 rmb for 2 persons

There are newer reviews for The Opposite House

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I've been to this hotel a few times already. But didn't find the time to write the reviews till now.
First of all, the location of this hotel is the hot and trend spot in Beijing, so made everything much easier. Foods, shops and culture. Page one (the book store) is next door.
The room and the design was my type too, love it. Simple and neat. I love the sound system, so every time when I stay there. I will bring CD with me, so I can listen to my favorite music.
I've tired the Chinese restaurant Jing Ya Tang this time, the best duck in Beijing:)
And, the service was prefect, all the little things count. The warm welcome note by the hotel manager (Carl), and surprise gifts from the hotel would be waiting for me every night when I return from work, also with a note on it. It would put a smile on my face.
So, it would be my first choice when I come to Beijing.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Annie2046
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I stay here most of the times I come to Beijing. It's conveniently located in SanLiTun village, a very nice shopping area with both high end shopping, fine dining, easy access to local markets and a taste of the "old" china.
The rooms are very inviting and its a pleasure to stay there, the staff is always paying attention to the customers need, all in all the hotel offers the best of the best.

Room Tip: Rooms in the opposite corner of the reception can be a little bit noisy during weekends, try to get...
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I visited Beijing on Business and to socialize with friends I developed over the years in China and New York. I chose this property because of a friends recommendation, and was happy I did so.
In reviewing any hotel, I need certain creature comforts which we all crave, but this place was unique.

1. Small Hotel made me feel comfortable and more at home. Reminded me of the small highly personal hotels in Paris I frequent. And this in the biggest city in China.
2. Staff and service. The people here are very well trained and professional. Friendly service people are always appreciated, but its the professionalism which makes a difference. Problems and requests get attention and results. i.e: how do i recharge my Shanghai Unicom in Beijing on my iPhone? can you translate this for me? Where can I find.....etc... All done! Btw.. 3 of the girls at the desk went to English speaking Universities to study Hospitality ( Usa, Australia,etc.).
3. Location, location...Sanlitun is akin to a city within a city. It is surrounded by so many quality restaurants, book stores, cafes, shops... many of which can be accessed underground and inside. Beijing can get cold, taxis can be erratically impossible, and a place-based strategy made a big difference to me in avoiding unnecessarily unpleasant journeys to other areas. Beijing is quite spread out and choked with traffic. I became quite pleased having my friends visit me for dinners and drinks at my place/area.( They considered it a treat.)
4. On my last day, I was checking out to take a car to the Airport. After saying goodbye , the
omnipresent Hotel Manager (Carl) was outside personally checking that all my luggage was properly in the trunk of the car. Bon Voyage!

If you are still reading, the 2 hotel restaurants downstairs are quite superb. Sureno and Jing Yaa Tang. And within a 5 minute walk an endless supply of more..i.e.: try the Japanese restaurant Koyama for amazing sushi ( yes, as good as NY, I promise),. Isola for italian, Transit for smoking hot sichuan, Aqua for Spanish tapas with sparkling champagne.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Edward B
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The rooms are spacious, minimalist, Japanese-inspired havens of peace and comfort.
The staff are extremely attentive and it really is the little things that count. Free mini bar with a very good selection of drinks (yes, and beer), treats and snacks, and your own french press to make delicious coffee. The funky bath bag is available to take home too!
They also leave you a little hand-written note with a gift (like a face mask or lip balm) by your bed each night. Makes you feel special and is something personal and comforting to come back to after a long day either at the office or site-seeing in busy Beijing!
I am a regular business traveller to Beijing and always stay at The Opposite House. Its part of the reason why I love Beijing. Since Im a regular, they welcome me back with a card and a cupcake in my room. They know what I like!
The bar (Mesh) and Sureno restaurant are both excellent (best pizza's in Asia!) and the breakfast is always fantastic (best scrambled eggs)
Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I do...Highly recommended

Room Tip: the suites on the 6th floor are huge and you feel like a king in them! the bed is massive too.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Opposite House has recently opened a Chinese restaurant in the basement beside the excellent Sureno. Jing Yaa Tang is housed in a well proportioned, high-ceilinged room on three levels which means large tables can be accomodated without shattering the calm of other diners. All the courses we consumed were delicious but the standout dish is the Beijing duck served from the wood-fired ovens located behind thick glass at one end of the room. We had it both ways: light, crispy skin and succulent meat sliced very thinly and served with pancakes and condiments, plus minced duck mixed with desiccated bamboo shoots and eaten wrapped in little lettuce parcels. Delicious! The food is foreigner-friendly but doesn't pull its punches on spice and flavour. The wine list is generous and there is good quality beverages to be had by the glass, too. Go - you won't be disappointed. Just remember this is a quality boutique hotel and Jing Yaa Tang is priced accordingly. Our dinner for three cost RMB1300.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Angela M
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Beijing is an enormous and sprawling city that can be really draining on the business traveller. What better than having a designer refuge after long day in the traffic and smog? It is a cool building on the edge of the Sanlitun shopping and restaurant complex (highly recommended). As you walk through an ancient wooden door the hotel atrium opens up before you featuring an art installation that has been different every time that I stay there. It is a rare small hotel in Beijing and probably has about 100 rooms only. The staff are courteous and efficient. The open plan rooms (the bedroom morphs into the bathroom area) are in calming wood and cream colour-ways and the bed very comfortable. I have only eaten breakfast in the restaurant which was excellent. There is a bar called Mesh that attracts the local cool dudes, and on the doorstep is the nightlife of the Sanlitun district. Be careful of pickpockets etc as you would in any major city. Highly recommended for a short stay.

Room Tip: Probably best to get a room on a higher floor as the atrium is fairly echo-y and away from the lifts...