“Great boutique, trendy and casual-chic 5* hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Opposite House

The Opposite House
Ranked #4 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Shanghai, China
“Great boutique, trendy and casual-chic 5* hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel is extremely well located in the North-East part of Beijing, within the 3rd ring, in Sanlitun. Shopping, restaurants and bars are at walking distance so this is perfect for leisure time. For business meetings, they will be usually in CBD (further South) or, if dealing with pure Chinese, state-owned companies, in the center of the city or in Financial District (West). This means taking a taxi but it is worth it as these parts of town are nowhere nearly as fun to live in.
The Opposite House has a very modern and zen vibe thanks to its design by a famous Japanese chap and the various artworks displayed in the lobby. This hotel manages to have casual, friendly staff but they are very efficient and professional at the same time, which is exceptional in Beijing!
The rooms are very, very spacious, modern and confortable. Somehow minimalistic but I really appreciated the clutter less calm they provide!
The restaurants reflect the hotel: nothing overly complicated but well executed with very good ingredients. I have even enjoyed the weird green detox juice a member of staff recommended to me during breakfast!
This hotel is a no brainer for trendy 5 star hotel in Beijing!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

The check-in process was the least painful in all my travels. Staff were mostly effectively bilingual - English and Mandarin. I was pleasantly surprised by their offer to introduce me the room, so as to ensure that I knew where the items and sockets are located.

Their rooms came equipped with lovely toiletries and a complimentary minibar, that is refilled on a daily basis. Complimentary WIFI was also available. An incident apparently occurred at the hotel during my stay but I was not aware of it, since I was in the office for most part of the day. How I came to be aware of this incident was by way of a signed letter from the Guest Experience Manager, extending their apologies for any inconvenience caused, and leaving behind a pack of facial mask for a relaxing evening.

Would really love to return to Beijing just so that I may stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Beijing, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

In terms of the hotel ambiance and room I would give them a Very Good, but juxtaposed with the fact that we had a serious, serious issue with our booking, which was Terrible, so I evened out at "poor".

Now let me be clear and upfront that the poor ranking here is in direct relation to my experience, not the property itself as a whole.

I was in Hong Kong on business and unsure of what day I needed to fly up to Beijing for a dinner. I found out late one Friday that I needed to be in Beijing the next day. So when I got to my room that night I went online and booked a room at the Opposite House. I booked at Agoda.com. I immediately received a confirmation email, and then about 15 minutes later I received a second email confirming my booking that had a PDF confirmation attached which mentioned among other things that the room was booked and guaranteed.

I printed out the PDF the next morning and got on a plane to Beijing around noon. When I landed in Beijing I opened up my email and found an email from Agoda that said verbatim: "We are sorry that hotel just inform us they are fully booked. However we found an alternative hotel for you: Hotel New Otani Chang Fu Gong".

We had picked Opposite House over Four Seasons and Shangri-La, and obviously had no intention of staying at some New Otani hotel I had never heard of despite living in Beijing for 10 years.

I immediately called the hotel to let them know that it was unacceptable to cancel a room after confirming, but they refused to budge. Basically they just punted responsibility to Agoda, who then dumped it off on me. I called Opposite back again and after a few minutes spoke to their manager who said he would try his best and would call me back either way. Instead, 20 minutes late he had someone on his staff call Agoda and asked them to call me again to tell me that there was nothing they could do rather than have himself, or one of his staff call me directly. I called him back after getting off the phone with Agoda and basically said that was unacceptable and I was coming to the hotel either way.

He finally called me back 15 minutes later and said they had found a room for me.

In all it took me around an hour on the phone to straighten the whole thing out. The Opposite House blamed Agoda, but if there had been a problem I find it hard to understand how it took them 15 hours to realize it. I put the blame, as I understand it, completely on the Oppposite House and not Agoda as if they are not prepared to honor a reservation, they shouldnt let Agoda make it.

In the end Opposite House COMPLETELY made good by giving us an upgrade and some small discount. And in some respects I want to say that because they fixed the problem in the end that all is well that ends well. But the truth is that before they fixed the problem they basically tried to railroad and big league myself and Agoda and think they could just make me go away by saying no over and over and over again. Any person who isn't as crazily persistent and angry about people lying would just have been out of luck, and only through unending persistence was I able to get the room that I had rightfully booked and paid for. If there was an issue between Agoda and Opposite House, they should have handled it between those parties and not try and use me as a pawn in the middle.

All in all the room was nice. It was quite stark and modern, not really my take and I think for what they charge you could stay almost anywhere else in Beijing. But the location is great and for those who enjoy that kind of thing I would recommend it. Just make sure you triple check your confirmation before you go.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank liaobuqi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

When traveling for business I value location, vibe, facilities, and being in the architecture industry for sure I value design. The Opposite House is the perfect mix of all these. Designed by renowned architect Kengo Kuma, you will find a unique hotel where everything has been carefully designed. From the texture of the walls to the amenity bag. The cafe by the lobby is perfect for meetings through the day, and the bar is very comfortable to meet with business partners during the late afternoon. In this aspect, I find it a unique finding in the city as I don't like big corporate chain hotels.

I've stayed in mid and high range hotels in the city, but this one beats it. If you are young and have an active business life, this is the place in Beijing.

The location is great, right next to the Sanlitun Soho development with many stores, restaurants and bars, and only minutes away from Tiananmen Square and other important parts of the city.

The staff is super friendly, and they will accommodate any request you might have. Need to get a taxi to a particular location? No problem. Need recommendations in the city? They will do their best to help you.

Minibar is included, be sure to grab a Tsingtao beer along with the wasabi fava beans to close a hard day.

Room Tip: Stayed in the 4th floor facing Sanlitun Soho. I thought it could be noisy at night, but the hotel is...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in one of 70Sqm studio rooms. Finish of rooms superb. Very comfortable beds. Very interesting design of building and fascinating artworks. A very unusual feature is the complimentary minibar in the room. Staff very welcoming and friendly. A very short trip from the airport compared to many other hotels in town Definitely be returning...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stunning hotel in the middle of Beijings Sanlitun Shopping and party district.
You can fight about the design of the hotel, but the service is one of the best ever experienced. Very nice, supportive and just happy staff will help you with all you need in Beijing.

Enjoy food at one of the great restaurants in the hotel or ask the reception for other options around the hotel!

Dont miss the full metal swimming pool in the basement. "relax under stars";-)

Really the place to stay if you can't sleep at home!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
new york, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at The Opposite House for 3 nights in August and we had a fabulous stay. We emailed with the hotel prior to our arrival and they recommended some fabulous restaurants and arranged a tour of The Great Wall and the Forbidden City, so we had nothing to worry about when we got there. The staff at the hotel were all great, very polite and helpful, and English was not a problem. The hotel was immaculate and extremely comfortable. Spotless and modern but homey at the same time. We had breakfast in the mornings, which was light and delicious and we ate at the Italian restaurant one night for dinner when we were so exhausted after sightseeing, also delicious. We had drinks at the bar one night too, the scene was very cool and drinks were tasty. The tours were EXCELLENT. I highly recommended having the hotel arrange your tour with Jerry. His English is perfect, he's super knowledgeable, friendly and fun. Our private car and driver from the hotel made the stay great too since it was so hot. Perfect AC and fresh bottles of water whenever we got n the car. While one of our days was smoggy, it didn't bother us and we enjoyed the sights, shopping and restaurants near the hotel. Overall, I highly recommend The Opposite House. It was the best!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple