“super hotel”
Review of The Opposite House

The Opposite House
Ranked #2 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed November 3, 2013

check in was very pleasantly unusual. you are led to the sitting area instead of the usual reception counter. free beverage in the room, good sized room with wooden bathtub and sea salt.
room service was great and definitely one of the best hotels ever stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I first stayed at this hotel in March 2008 when it opened and I'm glad the vibe is still going as strong now as it was then. The rooms here are gorgeous and while restaurants have gone through a few renditions they're still great places to wine, dine or just kick back with friends. In addition, their bathroom amenity bag made my top 10 list of best hotel amenities (not what was inside but more the bag itself).

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GoodBadnFunky
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner a couple of weeks ago at the Chinese restaurant at Opposite House. Food was excellent, really delicious. I liked the environment as well however the team needs to be trained and supervised as the service was a chaos! The wine ordered when we arrived was served only after the meal was delivered after we had to ask. All the meals arrived together and so most if then were cold before we had time to finish. So we had dinner in one hour which is a bit disappointing for a place with that standard. Same as usual, the management has to be on the ground to supervise and make sure everything is delivered outstandingly.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had a lot of expectations after reading all the rave reviews about this place in TripAdvisor. Had a 2 week stay in the Opposite House during October for a business trip. The hotel had a very chic and cool design which was pleasing to my eye. However, due to its mostly wood based shower areas, it was showing signs of wear and tear. I stayed on the 5th floor in the 45 sqm room. The walls of the shower stand were a little mouldy in the corners and the wood floor was very worn out. During my second week of stay, I noted mushrooms growing out of the corner of my shower room! I didn't complain immediately as I thought that they will clear it the next day, but they did not. Hence, I made a complaint to the duty manager. The matter was quickly solved but that already left a poor impression to me. In addition, I was surprised they did not sound proof the hotel well despite being a 5 star hotel with bars just right opposite and busy traffic. I could hear horns of cars passing by and music from the bars during the weekends. In fact, on some nights I could also hear my neighbours talking.

Housekeeping also left a lot to be desired as my floors were not cleaned properly. They probably think that guests won't take notice as the floors are quite dark. I noticed it anyway. For the price we paid, it is definitely not worth it despite it being in a great location. However, I note that staff here are mostly very friendly and eager to please. Breakfast was also lovely. I may just try out Hotel Intercontinental the next round when it opens.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road for a quieter night's sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank fuzzyspit
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I try and not give places all five stars unless I really feel stunned. This place stunned me. It's beautifully designed and the lighting is conducive to relaxation and quiet. The rooms are Japanese spa modern white on tan wood, electronics are very modern and also carefully folded and hidden into the room. In a dark and polluted city, this hotel is a floating island of peace and cool.

I won't stay anywhere else in the city after this visit.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed! (besides Burj Al Arab in Dubai which however comes with a price tag). Service is great, from bell boy to manager, everyone is friendly and always willing to go for the extra mile to please the guests. The architecture and interior design are sleek and stylish. Everything inside the room is not just skin deep but also functional! The bath tub is the biggest indoor bath tub I have ever seen. Closet is big with many hangers. Water pressure is good and no water leaking from the shower cabinet that happens in almost every hotel! The air condition works well and is the most quiet I have ever found in a hotel. Complimentary minibar plus a small gift for each day is a very nice touch. Every corner of the room including the water closet is very clean and spotless. Breakfast is also one of the best, make sure you order hot dishes from the a la carte menu on top of the buffet table as they are included in the breakfast package. Since it is not my first time travelling to Beijing, I don't mind its location which is a bit off the main attraction. The hotel is very quiet though my room faces the shopping area. The Sanlitun neighborhood is very nice and safe. Many brand name shops and resturants around. The only downside is that the mattress is a bit hard for me which I understand is pretty much preferred by Asians.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Opposite House is a great boutique option in downtown Beijing. It has beautifully decorated rooms with minimalist decor. The minibar was well stocked and free (to my detriment at times). Breakfast was similarly generous and delicious. The service was outstanding. The hotel staff was incredibly accommodating. They even have cute, fold up bicycles to rent. Perhaps the best part of the Opposite House, next to its fantastic design, is its location, right in the center of Beijing where everything is happening. Definitely in my top three hotel choices in the world.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business