“poor customer service”

Ranked #219 of 6,448 Hotels in Beijing
Shanghai, China
“poor customer service”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

i stayed at this hotel as it is next door to my Beijing office, the rooms are spacious and clean-ish - it really depends on who cleans your room that day, the gym is ok and it tends to be empty, however the air conditioning isn't great and it can get quite hot during the summer - the cleaningless leaves a bit to be desired. the staff arent very attentive and they rarely smile plus their customer service skills are quite poor - after 6 nights in the hotel the wireless connection stopped working, after a series of calls to reception - all of which went unreturned, i finally managed to speak to the manager who told me that my room had poor reception and that they were changing me to a different room... i said i found this strange as i had been there for nearly a week without any issues and that perhaps they could come up to my floor to check the router rather than asking me to change rooms in my last night. they eventually checked the system, rebooted it and it worked... i guess if they'd done that in the first place we would have all avoided a lot of trouble... it was just lazy and unprofessional
on a better note the beds were very comfortable and quiet!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MRGLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel is quite new with modern interior and spacious rooms, very confortable beds and beddings. Services are efficient and friendly.

Location wise, about 1km away from World Trade Centre which is the Centre CBD, convenient for meetings. However, this distance is too far for walking with heels, and too short for a taxi ride – Beijing taxi drivers are too busy to take me for this short and profitlessness ride, this situation was particularly worse in rush hours - this was the only major problem during my 8 nights stay there. Otherwise, good valued hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Suzhou, China
Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel and staff were friendly. Bed was comfortable and breakfast was excellent. Yes I do reconmend this hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I'd like to say to my friends and colleages like 'Don't stay this hotel when you need a high-quality service like other 5star hotel'. Most reception desk staff are very unfriendly and even managers, and even speak in Chinese each other in a negative way in front of the customer who can't speak and understand Chinese. The hotel should provide the best service as much as they can because they put 5-STAR on the lobby, but their concern is just accomodation fee.....they just move and provide service only when such thing is related to MONEY!!! It was awful and terrible experience when I needed to talk with staffs!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CL L
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This place is a disaster. Here's my quick tale of woe to dissuade you from even considering this as an option.

Not so fresh off a 14 hour direct flight from the US, I walked in and dropped my name. No reservation, I was told. Strange, given that my Chinese colleague had booked the room for me and had already confirmed it. I grew increasingly frustrated as no less than four employees at the reception desk tried to sort this out and finally had to call my colleague here in Beijing so set them straight.

The suite that I had looked decent enough--certainly spacious and had the look of a genuine five star hotel, but looks were deceiving. After getting settled, I got a call and picked up the phone on the wall in the bathroom. The entire unit simply fell off the wall, exposing a big hole in the marble with wires and such. It was being held on by a simple screw. Hmmmm....might have tried a bit of strong adhesive to hold it onto the wall, but I digress.....

The real show stopper started two days after I arrived. After a workout, I jumped into the shower, only to find that there was no hot water. Shivering, I called down to reception, but no one could understand what I was saying. I finally got a manager of some sort, who apologized and told me that the problem was caused by the Beijing municipality. I told her in a patient tone that I understood but they had an obligation to inform their guests of such problems so they don't end up in a cold shower. Almost immediately after this call, I got a note under my door informing me that there was a problem with the hot water (really!) and that it would be sorted out by 2 a.m.

I woke up the next morning, went into the shower, and once again was greeted with cold water. I got dressed, went down to the front desk, and told them of the ongoing problem before I departed for the day. I went on a long hike on the Great Wall and returned to the hotel at 8 p.m. I was covered in dust and dried sweat from the hike and all I wanted was a hot shower. Once again, I turned on the water, and it was ice cold. Now fuming, I called down, got the manager on the line, and told him that he had to find me a room with hot water. He said he'd call me right back. After half an hour, I walked down to the desk to find the manager. He told me that he didn't actually have a room with hot water to offer me. Incredulous, I asked him if he knew when the problem might actually be fixed to which he babbled almost incoherently before basically saying that he didn't know.

At wit's end, I told him that if there was no hot water, I had to check out. It was now 9:30 p.m., I was still in a stinking t-shirt and shorts from my hike, and I was forced to dial around to other hotels in the area to book a room, then pack up all my things, trudge downstairs to the lobby and listen while seemingly everyone on staff tried to get me to reconsider. I have never had t do this in 15 years of extensive global business travel.

I moved to a nearby legitimate 5 star hotel where I have stayed during previous visits, was greeted warmly by name at the reception desk, and given an upgraded room on the spot. Sure, it cost about $100 more per night than the Radegast, but I would have paid $1,000 more given the situation.

Suffice to say that I won't ever return to the Radegast--it was clearly a mistake to give it a go in the first place, but I thought I'd try to save my firm a few dollars. That was clearly penny wise and pound foolish. Learn from my experience and don't make the same mistake!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank fwg
Shanghai
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I didn't expect too much from this hotel. Check in / out was quick, great swimming pool (you need a swimming hat but can get away without one), good rooms, nice service, free internet. Location is a bit off pitch but I like a walk to office. Cheaper than other 5 star hotels.

Not sure what breakfast is like, I thought with everything else going right I wouldn't push my like.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stay in this hotel every time I visit Beijing for biz, cos it's right across my office.

The location of the hotel is not bad but not the best either. Few restaurant nearby, and 20 min walk to Xin guan sogo shopping mall...walkable in Beijing standard.

Good: the room is very clean, modern, spacious n the bed is very comfortable. The service is very friendly n attentive.

Bad: the breakfast is so so...

Ugly: can't really pick one, cos it's actually very good value for money n it is beyond my expectation w the very reasonable price.

I will recommend my friends to stay here ONLY for biz or budget leisure travel in BJ.

• Stayed March 2012