“Good facilities, inconvenient location, service needs improvement”

InterContinental Beijing Beichen
Ranked #20 of 6,530 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 2, 2013

In the area of the 2008 Olympics. Adjacent to China National Convention Center (venue for the conference I attended). This is not a convenient location relative to a typical tourist or business agenda (1.5 hours to Tiananmen Square or the CBD in heavy traffic, which is most of the time), and there is very little of interest in the immediate area. Even restaurants are a long walk or a cab drive away. There is a nearby metro stop, but it's two changes of train to get downtown.

The hotel itself is very nice, with comfortable, quiet rooms that are kept immaculate. They change linens daily unless you insist they don't. The included buffet breakfast is very good, with many different selections from most any cuisine (the home-made yoghurt was excellent and unexpected). But the servers seemed very gifted at not noticing that you were asking for coffee, juice, or a refill. The onsite restaurants that I tried all provided good food (even the bar food was a cut above); the on-site Chinese restaurant is very expensive, but I have to admit that the food was exquisite.

Most of the desk staff do not speak good English, and their service needs improvement. At check-in, they told me I would have to move to a different hotel two days before my scheduled departure, despite a confirmed, prepaid reservation. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told he was busy. When I insisted, I was told he would call me, which he never did. Ultimately, I did not have to move, because I was stubborn, but others in our group were made to move. The concierge was perfunctory. They were happy to arrange over-priced private tours from a brochure that included lots of mandatory shopping, but anything more customized was beyond either their capabilities or their interest. The service of the lobby and restaurant staff is not up to the Intercontinental brand's standard, despite the high prices. By contrast, the room attendants were cheerful, diligent, and some of them spoke better English than the desk staff.

If you need to be at the CNCC or a nearby business, this is the place. Otherwise, try somewhere nearer downtown.

Room Tip: Higher is better
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalBC, General Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. We are delighted to know that you liked our guestroom, breakfast and food overall. We appreciate your feedback on the service attention and will focus on this area. Although we are not in the centre of Beijing, our Concierge is well in the know of providing our guests with sightseeing insights within the neighborhood and in shorter distance of the hotel, what often helps our convention and meeting guests with limited available time. We look forward to welcome you back again soon.

General Manager.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Beijing Beichen

Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is overall a very nice hotel. We signed up for The Lounge deal. We were very satisfied with this arrangement. All the young girls serving us here were so nice and helpful. We really could recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with InterContinental Beijing Beichen and for sharing nice feedback. We are pleased to see that you were enjoying your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Top notch hotel with spacious rooms, good service and food. Location is convenient to the Olympic Park, but not to other areas in Beijing. Breakfast is very rich. Concierge staff go out of their way to help.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that our team is helpful during your stay. Concerning other attactions, there are many sites in the hotel vicinity, such as the Birds Nest, Water Cube and the Olympic Park. All are within 5-min walking distance. While the Great Wall, Summer Palace and Lama Temple are all in convenient taxi distance. Our professional Concierge team is known to lead our guests to best must see locations. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was the second time staying in the Intercontinental Beichen hotel. Here is how I would rate the different categories of this hotel:

Hotel Room: 4 - Room and beds are spacious although mattress is quite soft. Nice furnishings and lovely bathroom (separate marble rainfall shower and tub), although the closet space lighting is basically ineffective since it only lights up the top of the cabinet. The rest of the drawers and closet space are completely dark. I had to fumble through drawers most days to find what I needed as lighting in the room is not equally distributed.

Service: 2 - As a 5 star hotel, I expect more than just passable English, which I don't even consider most staff to qualify for. While checking in, the young man stared blankly at me until I said hello and explained my reservation details. I would expect at least "Please" and "Thank you" to be in the vocabulary of 5 star hotel staff, something clearly it is not. Throughout both stays, I did not feel a welcome or warmness from any staff member, including room service, restaurant, breakfast, reception, and the operator. Responsiveness is hit and miss; room service came promptly, way more promptly than a call to the next room whose TV sounded like a war had started.

Food Quality: 3 - I have to add this category of food quality, because I was disappointed in the food quality. The breakfast area (which is often filled to capacity) does not have as much variety compared to other Chinese hotels I have been to (very little amount of fruit, no cereals, cheese, and yogurt). Bear in mind, this is still a good variety, however in China, breakfast is where hotels shine. Quality is average, including at the restaurants and room service. I think they could definitely use a better chef to head the culinary department.

Price: 3 - The room rate through the company was decent, although I would not want to spend more than I did for the quality I received. Prices of room service were overly inflated; a bowl of wonton noodle soup costed the equivalent of $20, which 1) on the street costs $2 max and 2) costed $10 at the 5 star hotel we stayed at in Guangzhou (Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, which was much nicer). I can accept the price of $10 in China at a hotel, but $20 for the most basic dish is a bit much.

Location: 3 - Depending on what you are here for, the location may be perfect or terrible. It is next to the Olympic facilities of the Bird's Nest and Swimming Pool. However, it is far from all sites, including the Silk Market, Forbidden City, and Summer Palace. Allow at least 30 minutes by taxi to anywhere significant. A friend of mine took a cab from the Silk Market and it took more than an hour with traffic and costed about 250 RMB (about 40 USD), which is quite a lot in China.

Overall, I would rate this hotel as a 3 as it needs work to be up to standard of a global 5 star hotel. Chinese staff need to learn English and manners. Food quality is mediocre, although room is spacious. Amenities are overpriced and location is a bit remote, unless you want to visit the Olympic area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing comprehensive feedback. We do apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations in certain area you pointed out and have noted your suggestions, which we will consider for our operation in the future and will intensify staff training. Again we do apologize and hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Only 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel is the Beijing Olympic Park - where the Bird's Nest and the Cube is.

We reached the hotel at 3pm; however room was not yet ready for us, so we went to the lobby lounge for a drink, which was quite relaxing.
Service was good among staff, the front office staff Andrew (guy with glasses) showed professionalism in the check-in process.

Breakfast is superb..with a good variety of food. Staff were also kind and friendly, especially those kitchen staff.

Room was big and spacious with a business corner as well.
Bathroom has a walk-in shower and a bathtub with bath salts provided, one downside is the lightings in the bathroom is not bright enough.

In general, the stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay. It is pleasing to hear that our services, food and guest room make your stay a pleasant one.For what concerns, your input is taken serious and we will ensure that the concerned areas are addressed. Thank you for staying with us again.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel regularly as our office is next door and as I am a loyalty program member I enjoy certain benefits.The hotel delivers consistent service, recognizes my needs and has a fantastic chef at the Italian restaurant. They feature one of the most extensive breakfasts I have seen. I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Your review is greatly appreciated and we are pleased to hear that our team was able to make your stay memorable. IHG Rewards Club is one of the best loyalty program that makes our guests feel privileged to be a VIP. We certainly do look forward to having you return next time.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental while in Beijing. Nice quality hotel with great facilities and overpriced restaurants. Close by to the olympic venues and convention centre. If you are a tourist, not much else in the area and travel to the tourist attractions will take a while. Took about 45 minutes to get to the shopping area that we wanted to be at. Traffic was rough. In advance I definetly would get a designated taxi driver again as we did for a few days. We had a international phone and we just called him whenever we wanted him to come pick us up. He spoke english of course and thats one of the reasons why we retained his services.

My room in the hotel was spectacular!! No complaints here. The service by staff was also spectacular as they hustled their behinds off for every little thing. The hotel is a bit pricey though but I guess you know that going in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheGreatOne11

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your comprehensive feedback. It is pleasing to hear that you liked our facilites, rooms and services. Concerning tourist attactions, there are many sites in the hotel vicinity, such as the Birds Nest, Water Cube and the Olympic Park. All are within 5-min walking distance. While the Great Wall, Summer Palace and Lama Temple are all in convenient taxi distance. Our professional Concierge team is known to lead our guests to best must see locations. We look forward to welcoming you back.