“Average quality--not up to par of a 5 star hotel”

InterContinental Beijing Beichen
Ranked #19 of 6,528 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was the second time staying in the Intercontinental Beichen hotel. Here is how I would rate the different categories of this hotel:

Hotel Room: 4 - Room and beds are spacious although mattress is quite soft. Nice furnishings and lovely bathroom (separate marble rainfall shower and tub), although the closet space lighting is basically ineffective since it only lights up the top of the cabinet. The rest of the drawers and closet space are completely dark. I had to fumble through drawers most days to find what I needed as lighting in the room is not equally distributed.

Service: 2 - As a 5 star hotel, I expect more than just passable English, which I don't even consider most staff to qualify for. While checking in, the young man stared blankly at me until I said hello and explained my reservation details. I would expect at least "Please" and "Thank you" to be in the vocabulary of 5 star hotel staff, something clearly it is not. Throughout both stays, I did not feel a welcome or warmness from any staff member, including room service, restaurant, breakfast, reception, and the operator. Responsiveness is hit and miss; room service came promptly, way more promptly than a call to the next room whose TV sounded like a war had started.

Food Quality: 3 - I have to add this category of food quality, because I was disappointed in the food quality. The breakfast area (which is often filled to capacity) does not have as much variety compared to other Chinese hotels I have been to (very little amount of fruit, no cereals, cheese, and yogurt). Bear in mind, this is still a good variety, however in China, breakfast is where hotels shine. Quality is average, including at the restaurants and room service. I think they could definitely use a better chef to head the culinary department.

Price: 3 - The room rate through the company was decent, although I would not want to spend more than I did for the quality I received. Prices of room service were overly inflated; a bowl of wonton noodle soup costed the equivalent of $20, which 1) on the street costs $2 max and 2) costed $10 at the 5 star hotel we stayed at in Guangzhou (Grand Hyatt Guangzhou, which was much nicer). I can accept the price of $10 in China at a hotel, but $20 for the most basic dish is a bit much.

Location: 3 - Depending on what you are here for, the location may be perfect or terrible. It is next to the Olympic facilities of the Bird's Nest and Swimming Pool. However, it is far from all sites, including the Silk Market, Forbidden City, and Summer Palace. Allow at least 30 minutes by taxi to anywhere significant. A friend of mine took a cab from the Silk Market and it took more than an hour with traffic and costed about 250 RMB (about 40 USD), which is quite a lot in China.

Overall, I would rate this hotel as a 3 as it needs work to be up to standard of a global 5 star hotel. Chinese staff need to learn English and manners. Food quality is mediocre, although room is spacious. Amenities are overpriced and location is a bit remote, unless you want to visit the Olympic area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing comprehensive feedback. We do apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations in certain area you pointed out and have noted your suggestions, which we will consider for our operation in the future and will intensify staff training. Again we do apologize and hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Distribution Marketing Manager.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Beijing Beichen

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Only 5-10 minutes walk from the hotel is the Beijing Olympic Park - where the Bird's Nest and the Cube is.

We reached the hotel at 3pm; however room was not yet ready for us, so we went to the lobby lounge for a drink, which was quite relaxing.
Service was good among staff, the front office staff Andrew (guy with glasses) showed professionalism in the check-in process.

Breakfast is superb..with a good variety of food. Staff were also kind and friendly, especially those kitchen staff.

Room was big and spacious with a business corner as well.
Bathroom has a walk-in shower and a bathtub with bath salts provided, one downside is the lightings in the bathroom is not bright enough.

In general, the stay was a pleasant one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay. It is pleasing to hear that our services, food and guest room make your stay a pleasant one.For what concerns, your input is taken serious and we will ensure that the concerned areas are addressed. Thank you for staying with us again.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel regularly as our office is next door and as I am a loyalty program member I enjoy certain benefits.The hotel delivers consistent service, recognizes my needs and has a fantastic chef at the Italian restaurant. They feature one of the most extensive breakfasts I have seen. I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Your review is greatly appreciated and we are pleased to hear that our team was able to make your stay memorable. IHG Rewards Club is one of the best loyalty program that makes our guests feel privileged to be a VIP. We certainly do look forward to having you return next time.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental while in Beijing. Nice quality hotel with great facilities and overpriced restaurants. Close by to the olympic venues and convention centre. If you are a tourist, not much else in the area and travel to the tourist attractions will take a while. Took about 45 minutes to get to the shopping area that we wanted to be at. Traffic was rough. In advance I definetly would get a designated taxi driver again as we did for a few days. We had a international phone and we just called him whenever we wanted him to come pick us up. He spoke english of course and thats one of the reasons why we retained his services.

My room in the hotel was spectacular!! No complaints here. The service by staff was also spectacular as they hustled their behinds off for every little thing. The hotel is a bit pricey though but I guess you know that going in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheGreatOne11

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your comprehensive feedback. It is pleasing to hear that you liked our facilites, rooms and services. Concerning tourist attactions, there are many sites in the hotel vicinity, such as the Birds Nest, Water Cube and the Olympic Park. All are within 5-min walking distance. While the Great Wall, Summer Palace and Lama Temple are all in convenient taxi distance. Our professional Concierge team is known to lead our guests to best must see locations. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Distribution Marketing Manager.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental for 4 nights and left with very mixed feelings.
First the driver of the hotel was not outside the baggage claim: fine, this happens. After apologizing for the 20min search for the driver, the concierge offered to comp my breakfast for the next day. This is a nice touch, but not what I needed, as I was on a business trip.
The check-in was very bizarre, I was led to the members lounge, even though I am not a member, then told I could not come back there. While checking in a child, left unsupervised by the sleeping parents in the lounge started climbing all over the check-in staff and screamed at all of us. This is not the staff's fault necessarily, but they should find some way to make the lounge comfortable for everyone.
The staff hardly speaks English, be aware of this. When you are used to Shanghai hotels, take into account that in this hotel key staff, such as the concierge, check-in personnel will understand all the regular tasks, but all special requests or longer conversations will cause significant communication issues.
The room was nice enough, missing any special touch like a Nespresso machine or any gadgets. The room service was quick, however the staff once again rubbed me the wrong way, when I asked to have my shoes cleaned, the man held open his hand for a tip and would not leave without it. When I tried to give a cleaning lady my shirt for dry cleaning, she told me to call downstairs to have someone pick it up. Finally the AC stopped working in the evening. But this was fixed within the next 2h by a technician - well managed.
My bizarre trip continued, as I mentioned to the concierge that I needed a guide and driver to the Great Wall the next day. Please be aware: the deals they are offering you, include several typical tourist traps that take the joy out of the experience. I would have expected that the concierge explains this to me or steers me away from this altogether, but instead it seemed he was eager for me to book with this company. I went along. The next day the tour was very disappointing: the guide started the day by explaining which things we had to do including several mandatory stops (tea ceremony, factory visit), which I know from extensive travel to be ways to lure tourists to buy souvenirs. When I refused the mandatory stops, the guide was so upset, she basically stopped talking to me and just tried to get the whole day over as fast as possible.
Breakfast also disappointed: while the selection is extensive, the restaurant does not manage to refill the items. The last pancake at 10am, when breakfast is served until 10.30 was dry and hard and thus uneatable.
Be aware of the location: the green subway line which in the current Lonely Planet shows to be completed does not actually have the last 2 stops in the city build as of now. When cab drivers refused to take us back to the hotel from the city center, we were left with no choice but to take the subway and switch lines 3 times. This is not the fault of the hotel, but be aware that catching a cab especially during peak times for a foreigner and to a remote location, which is where the hotel is, will not be easy.
All in all, I can not recommend this hotel due to lack of service and location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback about your stay. We do apologize for the service components that you felt did not meet your expectation. Your input is taken serious by the management team and we will ensure that the concerned areas are addressed. We have sent you a communication message via Tripadvisor as we would like to get in touch with you to know more details of your experience. Again we do apologize and hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Located next to the Olympic park, this is a great business hotel if you are attending a conference next door, or have business nearby. We arrived late at night and the front desk was quiet. Check-in was terribly slow and when they realised I am a platinum Priority card member they upgraded me , to apologize for the tardiness

The larger than normal room is huge and beautifully done. Of course, the requisite shower stall and flat screen were there. The tv is a bit far from the bed though, they needed better interior designers

Breakfast area is large and classy. The range and quality is 5 star - the beehive honey, 6 different types of homemade fruit yoghurt etc. are all hallmarks of quality selections

I had a punishing work schedule and unfortunately did not time have to visit the pool, gym and restaurants so can't comment

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that "We are a great business hotel" which is also our aim as an IHG Hotel. We do apologize for the inconsistency in the service delivery and will take the necessary steps to improve check-in service consistency. And hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Distibution Marketing Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental while in Beijing on business. Good quality hotel with good facilities and restaurants. Close by to the olympic venues and convention centre. If you are a tourist, not much else in the area and travel to the tourist attractions will take a while.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. What concerns location for tourist, actually the hotel is located near many sites,such as the Olympic Stadium(Bird's Nest),the Water Cube and the Olympic Park, within walking distance, and is also easy access to Summer Palace as well as the Great Wall. There are many dining options in the Xin Ao shopping centre & Beijing North Star Century Centre, 5-min talking distance of the hotel. For more information about facilities in the hotel vicinity, we kindly suggest you to reach our professional Concierge team during your next stay. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.