“Great for Visiting the Olympic Area”

InterContinental Beijing Beichen
Ranked #19 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental while in Beijing. Nice quality hotel with great facilities and overpriced restaurants. Close by to the olympic venues and convention centre. If you are a tourist, not much else in the area and travel to the tourist attractions will take a while. Took about 45 minutes to get to the shopping area that we wanted to be at. Traffic was rough. In advance I definetly would get a designated taxi driver again as we did for a few days. We had a international phone and we just called him whenever we wanted him to come pick us up. He spoke english of course and thats one of the reasons why we retained his services.

My room in the hotel was spectacular!! No complaints here. The service by staff was also spectacular as they hustled their behinds off for every little thing. The hotel is a bit pricey though but I guess you know that going in.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TheGreatOne11
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your comprehensive feedback. It is pleasing to hear that you liked our facilites, rooms and services. Concerning tourist attactions, there are many sites in the hotel vicinity, such as the Birds Nest, Water Cube and the Olympic Park. All are within 5-min walking distance. While the Great Wall, Summer Palace and Lama Temple are all in convenient taxi distance. Our professional Concierge team is known to lead our guests to best must see locations. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Distribution Marketing Manager.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Beijing Beichen

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental for 4 nights and left with very mixed feelings.
First the driver of the hotel was not outside the baggage claim: fine, this happens. After apologizing for the 20min search for the driver, the concierge offered to comp my breakfast for the next day. This is a nice touch, but not what I needed, as I was on a business trip.
The check-in was very bizarre, I was led to the members lounge, even though I am not a member, then told I could not come back there. While checking in a child, left unsupervised by the sleeping parents in the lounge started climbing all over the check-in staff and screamed at all of us. This is not the staff's fault necessarily, but they should find some way to make the lounge comfortable for everyone.
The staff hardly speaks English, be aware of this. When you are used to Shanghai hotels, take into account that in this hotel key staff, such as the concierge, check-in personnel will understand all the regular tasks, but all special requests or longer conversations will cause significant communication issues.
The room was nice enough, missing any special touch like a Nespresso machine or any gadgets. The room service was quick, however the staff once again rubbed me the wrong way, when I asked to have my shoes cleaned, the man held open his hand for a tip and would not leave without it. When I tried to give a cleaning lady my shirt for dry cleaning, she told me to call downstairs to have someone pick it up. Finally the AC stopped working in the evening. But this was fixed within the next 2h by a technician - well managed.
My bizarre trip continued, as I mentioned to the concierge that I needed a guide and driver to the Great Wall the next day. Please be aware: the deals they are offering you, include several typical tourist traps that take the joy out of the experience. I would have expected that the concierge explains this to me or steers me away from this altogether, but instead it seemed he was eager for me to book with this company. I went along. The next day the tour was very disappointing: the guide started the day by explaining which things we had to do including several mandatory stops (tea ceremony, factory visit), which I know from extensive travel to be ways to lure tourists to buy souvenirs. When I refused the mandatory stops, the guide was so upset, she basically stopped talking to me and just tried to get the whole day over as fast as possible.
Breakfast also disappointed: while the selection is extensive, the restaurant does not manage to refill the items. The last pancake at 10am, when breakfast is served until 10.30 was dry and hard and thus uneatable.
Be aware of the location: the green subway line which in the current Lonely Planet shows to be completed does not actually have the last 2 stops in the city build as of now. When cab drivers refused to take us back to the hotel from the city center, we were left with no choice but to take the subway and switch lines 3 times. This is not the fault of the hotel, but be aware that catching a cab especially during peak times for a foreigner and to a remote location, which is where the hotel is, will not be easy.
All in all, I can not recommend this hotel due to lack of service and location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback about your stay. We do apologize for the service components that you felt did not meet your expectation. Your input is taken serious by the management team and we will ensure that the concerned areas are addressed. We have sent you a communication message via Tripadvisor as we would like to get in touch with you to know more details of your experience. Again we do apologize and hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Located next to the Olympic park, this is a great business hotel if you are attending a conference next door, or have business nearby. We arrived late at night and the front desk was quiet. Check-in was terribly slow and when they realised I am a platinum Priority card member they upgraded me , to apologize for the tardiness

The larger than normal room is huge and beautifully done. Of course, the requisite shower stall and flat screen were there. The tv is a bit far from the bed though, they needed better interior designers

Breakfast area is large and classy. The range and quality is 5 star - the beehive honey, 6 different types of homemade fruit yoghurt etc. are all hallmarks of quality selections

I had a punishing work schedule and unfortunately did not time have to visit the pool, gym and restaurants so can't comment

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that "We are a great business hotel" which is also our aim as an IHG Hotel. We do apologize for the inconsistency in the service delivery and will take the necessary steps to improve check-in service consistency. And hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Distibution Marketing Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental while in Beijing on business. Good quality hotel with good facilities and restaurants. Close by to the olympic venues and convention centre. If you are a tourist, not much else in the area and travel to the tourist attractions will take a while.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. What concerns location for tourist, actually the hotel is located near many sites,such as the Olympic Stadium(Bird's Nest),the Water Cube and the Olympic Park, within walking distance, and is also easy access to Summer Palace as well as the Great Wall. There are many dining options in the Xin Ao shopping centre & Beijing North Star Century Centre, 5-min talking distance of the hotel. For more information about facilities in the hotel vicinity, we kindly suggest you to reach our professional Concierge team during your next stay. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had the oppurtunity to stay in this hotel on business trip from my company and stayed there over 2-weeks which gave me ample time to enjoy the services of this excellent hotel. It is located a bit far from main Beijing city but very close to tech-parrks where most of IT company offices are located and also just a walking distance from grand Olympic stadium (worth watching...). Also the underground train station is at walking distance if you want to explore the city or want to go to nearby tourist places.

I liked the design of this hotel, mainly the central grand lobby (really spectacular) and the swimming pool/club area was also good. The breakfast buffet was sumptuous and even after staying there for 2 weeks, I am sure I might have missed some dishes :))

Also, there was Indian restaurant nearby hotel if someone want to enjoy indian food (they also deliver food on order at hotel reception). The rooms are also very luxurious and the staff/service was also excellent.

The front-desk was also co-operative is guiding me for any queries for sight-seeing (since most of taxi drivers in China don't understand english, so they will write address in Chinese and also let cab drivers also provide the directions...)

Overall, it was really a great relaxing stay after working hard at day-time...!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive feedback about your recent stay. It is pleasing to know that our team was helpful during your stay. Many guests are impressed by our attentive services, elegent interior design, delicious cuisine and large rooms. For main sites in Beijing, we kindly suggest you to reach our professional Concierge team who are our local experts to help during your next stay. We look forward to be of assistance to you next time.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I was there only one night, but i had time explore the hotel. Location is excellent, just beside the olympic Stadium Area. Lovely staff at the lounge, especially, i would like to recommended Sarah and Winnie. Thanks to David (F & B Director) as well, for taked time to talked and asked us about our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thaiger1
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Your feedback is appreciated greatly. You are right the hotel is strategically located, which facilitates our guests to access local attractions and majoy business districts. Many guests comment on the charming and memorable experience our team and the Club InterContinental provides to those customers that look for the little luxury and privileges of this premium service. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel itself is quite comfortable but very expensive for food and beer. To counter that there is a shopping mall 2 minutes walk away which has a bunch of restaurants and a supermarket in it. The area above and around the mall is incredibly busy at night with street artists and dancers - well worth checking out. There are even events on inside the mall sometimes - there was a fashion show on one night as I was wandering around.

Anyway back to the hotel - rooms are spacious and beds are huge and very comfortable. I didn't have an issue with the air con as others did - although it did have a habit of being switched off while i was out - but this is likely down to the turn-down staff that any mechanical fault. Having a room that doesn't overlook the olympic park helped - the sun doesnt hit that side directly so i didnt even need the aircon on at all until the outside temp hit 37 degrees. There is a cafetiere in the room so you can make some decent coffee - but i advise buying some fro m the supermarket - after used the single bag in the room it was not replenished.

Recommended for business - but a little far for the tourist areas

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank OlekSkilganon
InterContinentalBC, Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for your nice feedback and we are pleased to learn that our hotel made a difference to your stay experience when traveling in Beijing. Being in the center of the Olympic Business District provides indeed a lot of conveniences and comfortable ambiance as you mentioned. For tourist attractions the hotel is located close to many sites, including Summer Palace, the Great Wall Ba Da Ling and adjacent to the Water Cube and Bird's Nest. We kindly suggest that you consult with our Concierge for more during next stay. We look forward to your next stay with us.