“My new home away from home”

InterContinental Beijing Beichen
Ranked #19 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
Beijing, China
“My new home away from home”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at InterContinental Beichen last week the first time. My office is nearby and we have signed a accommodation agreement with the hotel. I have been staying in many hotels during my travels in China and although most are good, this one was standing out. It started with the arrival. The fist question was if I am a member of their frequent traveler program and as I am a Priority Club member I was provided with a personalized check-in at the member counter. I loved the room which was spacious, clean and fitted out with a very comfortable bed. The only thing that would make it even better is brighter light in the desk area. Breakfast was enjoyable, well stocked and of very high quality. I am a morning runner and found the gym very refreshing with good equipment. The concierge is helpful and knowledgeable and showed me the way to run in the Olympic park, what is probably a unique feature this hotel has to any other. My overall stay was perfect and the staff made me feel at home and I am within 10 minutes at my work.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGM, General Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your nice feedback and we are pleased to learn that our hotel made a difference to your stay experience when travelling in China. Being in the center of the Olympic Business District provides indeed a lot of conveniences and the fitness options in the hotel and the Olympic Forest Park are what a lot of our customers comment as the work-life balance they need everyday. We look forward to have you back with us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Beijing
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My stay at this supposed 5 star hotel started badly from the moment of check in. The poorly trained reception staff could not find our reservation. The reason? The reservation was in my wife's name although they had her Chinese ID card and my passport - both names. After 20 minutes of waiting we had to go tell them to look up both names. Voila, they found our reservation yet no assistance with getting to our room. 5 star means great service does it not? Not to this hotel.

Things declined further in the room. Peeling wood veneer in the hallways, bubbled carpet in the room with numerous stains on it and filthy windows and mildewed shower greeted us.

After this unpleasant surprise at an expensive hotel we decided to try the Chinese restaurant in the hotel. The wait staff was totally unfamiliar with the menu and could explain nothing about the overly clever dish names meant. Insult to injury they even delivered the wrong dish to our table. A Chinese restaurant with exhorbitant prices should know what Shanxxi shaved noodles are. They are not spaghetti which is what the dish delivered looked like.

Complimentary tickets to the adjacent Olympics facilities of which we wanted to visit the Watercube were included in our room rate. Did we get them? No. We were promised them twice but never received them. Then breakfast in the buffet style restaurant in the morning before we were to return to Shanghai. We were harrassed 3 times by different wait staff to pay our bill before eating as they feared we would skip out on paying for the buffet. What nonsense and how insulting. They have our CREDIT CARD number! How are we to skip out without paying?

Add to that filthy carpets and food stuck to the chairs and you can complete the dismal picture. Upon check out they processed me like one of the cows and handed me the bill. I asked the reception clerk whether she had any interest in my opinion of my stay. She said well OK and I gave her the highlights. Finally, someone's attention was gotten. From the bowels of the back office eventually a manager came out and after hearing our story made repeated aplogies. Of course she casually killed a cockroach scurrying across the carpet of the lobby while we were talking adding to the displeasure of our stay.

She kept asking if I wanted to talk to the general manager. My response was that only if he thinks this of any importance to him. His staff is poorly trained if at all and the condition of the property is in decline. Should he care? Finally we were escorted to the club floor where a sympathetic and apologetic Swiss general manager came and made soothing noises promising to make things right from adjustment of our bill to a free stay to getting us our included tickets to the Watercube.

After two months what has happened? Nothing! Not a word. A follow up email to both of these people has been ignored and there has been no adjustment of my bill, credit for anything or even our already paid for tickets to the Watercube. This hotel has good business from the connected convention center and clearly could care less about non-business related guests such as ourselves. The desk manager and general manager had no intention of rectifying anything and I am sure the filthy restaurant carpet, mildewed shower, bubbling carpet, peeling venerr and dirty windows are still there for other guests to enjoy.

This hotel is nowhere near 5 stars and has a staff and management that are indifferent to their guests. We strongly suggest anyone plannning to stay at this hotel reconsider. They failed us completely.

Room Tip: Do not choose one. Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank charles c
Thank you for your feedback and we do apologize for not being able this time to meet your expectations and we have taken note of the areas you pointed out that are in need of attention. We trust you have received our apologies directly and would be thrilled to welcome you back soon to proof you that we can do better.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

First the good. The beds are great - very similar to the nice "heavenly beds" you would find at a high end US hotel. Also, the breakfast buffet is very nice, with everything you could ever imagine available. Also, the food quality is terrific. Finally, the gym is quite good for a hotel gym.

Now, the bad/ugly. Location. Horrible location if you need to get anywhere except the Convention Center, which is right next door. The taxis are horrendous. IF (and it's a big if) you get a doorman who speaks even a little English, it is hit or miss on whether you will get a taxi driver who will understand where you need to go. We had to get out of about 4-5 cabs because the driver couldn't understand the printout of where we needed to go (the printout was in Chinese, given to us by the concierge to places like "Da Dong" (a very famous duck restaurant). So we instead opted for the subway, which is a great system but the remote location of this hotel makes it a grueling trek every time you want to get anywhere. For instance, to get to the Forbidden City, it takes 4 separate trains and therefore takes about an hour to 1 hr 15 minutes. Note: they are extending the 8 Line, which should make the subway much better.

The hotel staff are very nice and the women and men in the Executive Club are very supportive and competent. As for the rest of the staff, I was amazed at the lack of English skills. We had stayed at 3 other hotels on this trip to Shanghai, Hangzhou and Beijing and this hotel was by far the worst with understanding English. Kind of strange, since it is next to an international convention center and the Olympic Park.

The Internet was very unreliable. Basically, we had to call the "At Your Service" number multiple times each day to get the Internet working again. The good news is that they were able to fix it every time pretty easily but it was super annoying. When it did connect, the connection speed was VERY slow. By far the slowest we had seen in our two weeks in China.

The concierge was effectively useless. Same for the doormen and valets out front. It wasn't only because they didn't try, but mostly due to a lack of English skills.

Unless I had to attend a conference at the center next door, I would NEVER book a room here again, instead opting for a hotel closer to the heart of the city where there might be some good options for dinner, etc.

Room Tip: You MUST upgrade to the Executive Lounge level, which gives you Internet access, free breakfast each...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGM, General Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you very much for having taken the time to elaborate and share your experience during your recent stay with us. We have taken note of your feedback and will take the necessary actions to ensure we can delivery all parts of the guest experience more perfect. We look forward to have you back with us.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was a great hotel and much more modern than I expected. The rooms are lovely and large (I was expecting small given the number of people in China!) and exceptionally clean. Comfortable bed. Nice front desk service although i will say that the concierges don't seem to be as helpful as I would expect for a hotel that is often full of foreigners. They will direct you to any place you want, but will not make suggestions or help you chose from options based on their experience. And I wanted to see a grocery store and not one person at the desk could lead me to one in walking distance. Nonetheless, they are so polite and that makes up for anything.
Pros:
Clean, modern, lovely rooms
Right next to the convention center
So close to Olympic Park!
Great for running because the Olympic forest is just near by and it gorgeous and the perfect place to run with many Chinese runners and walkers. Felt very safe running alone here at 5am as a woman
Cons:
Not so close to the scenic sites so everything is almost 1 hour cab ride (but the cabs are not expensive and if I had used the subway, it would have probably been faster)
Not much to do around there aside from run and see Olympic Village. Aside from McDonalds and the Hotel, few places to get authetic food or snacks. The minbar isn't really well stocked aside from alcohol and when you are shifting time zones and miss dinner from falling asleep, it would be nice to have some place in the hotel to get snacks
Could improve the buffet by making it clear what has meat and what doesn't (ie. spring rolls, potstickers, buns). It was not clear and often the staff did not know. So as a vegetarian, it was hard to find food when i ate in the resaturant that was buffet style.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGM, General Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your comprehensive review and we are pleased to know that your overall stay experience was good. For fitness and run savvy guests we are definitely in the perfect location and as you mention, the Olympic Forest park has even made a rubber running track for 3, 5 and 10 km distances. We have also noted your suggestions to further elevate our Concierge helpfulness and to think about our vegetarian choice on the buffet. We look forward to welcome you back soon.
montreal,Qc
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Good hotel,large and well furnished/decorated room. Excellent service but as previously mentioned by other internet connexion to improve as well as air conditioning. Both are working but intermittently.Excellent breakfast and chinese restaurant.

1 Thank JC1Montreal
Thank you for your constructive feedback and we are pleased to know that you liked the rooms, breakfast and our Chinese restaurant. You are right, we do have a small problem with the internet coverage and stability at the moment and do apologize for this. We are working on a solution to ensure better consistency, wider bandwidth and faster speed and hope that we have this important service resolved and improved in due course. We look forward welcoming you back soon.
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After pleasant stay in IC Beijing Financial Street, I wanted to try out also this newer IC in Beijing. As IC Royal Ambassador, my expectations were not really met on the first day, but things improved a lot as times went by.

First off - outside the hotel looks nice, inside the rooms have funky layout, adding a positive vibe. In the beginning I got pseudo-upgrade to studio club, which for me seemed to be like a usual room, then it was changed to one corner suite, which had big, kind of oval-shaped living room, bedroom, which had two sinks behind the bed and nice bathroom. For TV and sound they had good Bose equipment, for a good quality experience.

The second day I was upgraded to their equivalent of presidential suite - that was truly amazing, a room one would not like to leave. A big bedroom with very comfortable bed and great views, then small office and library, to work or have business talks and then big living room with dinner table in the other end, backed with private kitchen. There was also guest bathroom in addition to grand main bathroom. I would recommend this for lovely weekend stay.

PS. In the beginning the hotel staff claimed that the smaller corner suite is better due to the view, but well, the presidential suite had way better in-room experience, thus I would strongly recommend choosing that instead.

Club InterContinental, while quite small, provided cosy service - both breakfast and evening happy hours were good. During the evening happy hours, also wide selection of cocktails were available, but mimosa tasted a degree better in IC Financial St.

Usual buffet breakfast was available on ground floor cafe/restaurant with sufficient selection of foods to satisfy Asian and Western needs.

Room Tip: Presidential suite is the way to go :)
Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tango-Xpress
InterContinentalGM, General Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback and we are pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and that we were able to provide you with a great Suite experience. We always try to reward our most loyal customers, the Platinum and Royal Ambassador members with the most privileged upgrade options in line with the hotel booking situation and availability. I can see that you were very lucky this time and could spend a night at our Park Suite, which is well liked by our customers, as the window front allows a full and breathtaking panorama from the National Stadium (Birds Nest) to the Water Cube, what particularly in the night is like sitting live in a movie. We look forward to have you back soon again.
viking2222
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

During my checkout I was asked to give feedback and when pushed I honestly could not find a single point of improvement. Staff was friendly and polite, rooms and other facilities was excellent to the point of "setting new standards". Primarily a business hotel meeting rooms and service surrounding these was faultless. Internet was easy to use, with good coverage across the hotel, and included in my package. Pool was open very early to very late. Areas surrounding the hotel was nice and clean but a little surreal with the large Olympic facilities close by.

• Stayed September 2012
InterContinentalGM, General Manager at InterContinental Beijing Beichen, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you very much for having taken the time to share you positive experience. We are pleased to know that you liked the hotel, it's location, facilities and services. Many of our guests are impressed with the view of the Olympic stadium, particularly in the night when you look into a sea of colors and lights. We look forward to have you staying with us again soon.