“Love the Duck and the Egg Tarts”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Duck De Chine

Duck De Chine
Ranked #40 of 12,625 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Tian'anmen / Wangfujing
Pulau Ubin, Singapore
“Love the Duck and the Egg Tarts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

A friend living in Beijing brought us here to try the duck. I have to say the duck is very good with just the right amount of fat, particularly the duck skin. The rest of the dishes, I don't actually remember much about it, however, we had the Egg Tarts as desserts and our friend love the tarts even though she is not usually a egg tart fan. The egg tarts are baked upon order and the custard very soft and silky, a quality you would expect from a Cantonese restaurant rather than a Peking Duck restaurant. Would recommend to others to come just for the duck (and the egg tarts).

Service was prompt for us, though I found it a little lacking that a few dishes we wanted to order were unavailable and we kept having the select alternatives.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
“Ok food, poor service in a beautiful space”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

The duck we ordered was very good but the other items were just ok. Other than the duck, the food was sort of bland and typical. The space was beautiful...nice lighting, décor, etc. I had to flag down the service to get them to pay attention to us which was pretty annoying. All in all, I wouldn't come here again given the whopping price you pay for ok food and bad service.

Visited October 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Exceeded My Expectation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

WOW! It has exceeded my expectation! I thought I just came for peking duck, I ended up having the best meal I have ever had in Beijing! Usually only the skin of peking duck has that special flavor but here the meat also has the unique smoky flavor which is so juicy and tender. The sauce which goes with it is very good too. However as a peking duck lover, I rather have it plain. Other dishes, like the hot and sour duck soup is very good too. What surprises me most is the foie gras! Didn't expect to find a good foie gras in a Chinese restaurant in Beijing! Service is all right and price is reasonable. I would definitely come back when I am in town!

London
“Okay duck, lamentable service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We arrived at 8, on time for our reservation. We were asked to please wait at the bar and have a drink as no tables were available yet. We sat there for ten minutes and weren't even shown a menu as the one barmen managed to turn his back toe very customer at the same time, despite the fact that the bar was full due to mismanagement of bookings by the restaurant.

Only after complaining four times were we finally seated OVER half an hour after arrival. At a table in the back. The staff working there seemed to have been hired purely on aesthetic virtue as opposed to ability to manage the front of house. Not once were we offered complimentary beverages or snacks whilst waiting, which is the norm in other restaurants, not only in Europe but also in Beijjing (Na Jia Xiao Dian, for example).

We had pre-ordered the duck, but were still made to wait 40 minutes for it to be brought out. After also ordering a vegetable side dish, the waitress returned 15 mins later and informed us the kitchen was out, but offered us something "very similar". When it arrived, it was a bowl of walnuts, as opposed to our originally ordered broad beans. My boyfriend is allergic to walnuts, which I then informed the waitress. She insisted that we chose this dish. This is when the circus kicked into high gear, as a parade of different staff members each came around with the walnuts, trying to convince us that it would be okay for us to eat them.

The duck finally arrived and was carved by a chef to the side of our table. It was fine, tasty enough, however he did run off back to the kitchen with half the duck. I suppose this will no doubt go to make side dishes for other customers (regardless of whether they'd ordered them or not). So, we paid for a "whole" duck, and got half. Condiments were mentioned on the menu, but beware, sauce for the duck is not considered a condiment but is charged in addition to the condiment surcharge already on the menu. Disingenuous.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Very good restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The location is convenient and easy to find (close to Wangfujing Shopping Street). The Roast Duck is very good, served 'comme il faut' : succulent on the inside and crispy on the outside. Starters were also delicious. Bear in mind that dinner at Duck de Chine is not an authentic Chinese experience at all (I did not see any Chinese person which was not wearing a suit and entertaining foreign guests), but if that is not what you are looking for, go for the Duck!

• Visited September 2013

Been to Duck De Chine? Share your experiences!