Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
All reviewssubway stationbusiness tripnice hotelshopping mallbig mallgreat poolrooms are spaciousdecent breakfastvery comfortable staythe executive loungehotel managementcomfy bedf bstaying at this hotelupgraded to a suitegreat roomchinese food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Pretty new hotel, so you can imagine that everything is in good working condition. The room is spacious and clean, and the location actually is pretty good, just a little bit north of the 3rd Ring. Only complain I have is the people at the frontdesk, although sometimes there are 4 or 5 ladies and gentlemen were behind the frontdesk, many of them were focusing on their computers without raising their heads to serve guests.
One tip, if you want to exchane RMB, do it at the frontdesk but not the exchange machine they keep one recommending you to use, that machine charges something like 5% service fee.
Also, I saw people smoking in the lobby.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

There are people aplenty in this hotel. Lots of staff all happily greeting you in the lobby. It is spacious and warm.

The location seemed a little bit out of the main part of Beijing but the taxi ride to the central part was relatively speedy & cheap.

Room was very big and comfortable. I slept very easily. The room view from the 17th floor was plain but the poor visibility of Beijing meant I missed little.

The swimming pool and amenities were excellent.
The breakfast choice was large covering all sorts of meal types. The only negative for me was the overly thin and salty bacon - which seems to be an international standard compared to what I eat in Oz. Again the staff service are outstanding. Offering and bringing your coffee as soon as you sit down.
The free wi-fi was used often and a necessity for me.

The staff are so obliging and even assisted me when I was lost on a walkabout by sending me a text message with address instructions in chinese to show a taxi driver. (Thanks Vivienne Ren!)

A world class hotel with extremely helpful staff that it initially took me by surprise to see all the welcoming smiles. Thanks for a relaxing stay.

Don't be afraid to ask .. for help, for information ... there may be a language barrier at times but it is worth the effort.

Room Tip: from the 17th floor it was quiet and peaceful.
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel came at the end of our stay in China and was a breath of fresh air compared to some of the others we stayed in. The staff were friendly and helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble. The room we were in was huge, immaculately clean with a great bathroom; I particularly liked having towelling robes as well as large towels and it was a joy to have free WiFi throughout the hotel without any fuss of special passwords etc.We ate in 2 of the restaurants and had excellent service and food. We stayed in the hotel during The Water Splashing Festival and the Hotel put on a dance and music display in the lobby. We caught it on the last evening and it was great to find a hotel that encourages its staff to celebrate their local customs. Although the hotel isn't in the centre it is only a 10 minute walk from the nearest subway station and there were always plenty of taxis. Definitely a hotel to return to!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hotel is a typical Crowne Plaza with all the facilities available for, in particular, business purpose.

The hotel is at an odd location between two metro stations. Most taxi drivers will lose their way to the hotel as the location is a newly developed area. Walking to metro station would take more than 15 minutes of leisurely walk. Management could easily provide a shuttle service to the metro station (as there are a lot of staff at the lobby doing non-value added work like smiling at guests and pushing the lift buttons for guests, there is always a hotel mini-bus idle outside the hotel) to convenient guests.

There are no restaurant around the hotel areas but the hotel restaurants are quite expensive and the food are below the general Beijing standard. At breakfast I asked for a breakfast tea and it came up with a tea half filled with milk. The coffee was lukewarm and I decided to go to the service table to make my own and found the waiter talking on the phone. It tells the story! The cut fruits were with strange taste and the cutting knife must be used for many purposes.

Overall, the is a nice hotel but the management can work harder to make it a better one.

• Stayed: April 2012
virginia_cui, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2012

Dear Francis057

Thank you for your helpful feedback. We appreciate the specific comments which we can use towards improvement measures to give our guests a better experiential stay. Meanwhile, I have send you a private message to address the matter of your next stay at Crowne Plaza Beijing Sun Palace.

Sincerely
Anna Stackler

Reviewed April 12, 2012

The hotel was midway from the airport to downtown - a bit off the Beijing downtown. I arrived midnight and as able to check into a non-smoking room (as requested) fairly quickly. Room was quite spacious with a glass wall separating the bathroom from the bedroom. This seems to be in vogue for many of the hotels in China today.

Breakfast was quite crowded the next morning. The food was not as refined. Quality was average. The tea the served was lukewarm instead of hot. Also had buffet lunch in the Red Orange Restaurant and was quite disappointed. Replenishment was slow. Food was not presented nicely for a hotel of this caliber.

I called the spa for a foot massage and instead the receptionist offered me their featured massage which was double the cost of what I was looking for. I said not interested and it was only then she said foot massage was available. I decided not to have the foot massage anymore.

Net, if you need a room to sleep, this would a good hotel. Other experiential elements are not up to par to other hotels in Beijing.