“Comfortable Quality Hotel in central location”

Grand Millennium Beijing
Ranked #30 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Berlin, Germany
“Comfortable Quality Hotel in central location”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here for four nights on a business trip. Room was quite spacy, also in good shape (corner room end of aisle). the bathroom is very large and has a cool tub and a rain shower. Internet connection was very poor / slow, but good enough. First I was disappointed because I got a smokers roon, but hotel was full, so no alternative. But at the end it was ok, smelly-wise. The breakfast is quite good, but notoutstanding compared to Asian hotel standards. The buffet in the evening is OK if you go there once, but gets bering if you come more often. overall, a very recommandable hotel for business travelers.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had pretty high expectations when I checked into this hotel as the reviews on TA were quite good. Was a little disappointed as I found the rooms a tad dated and furnishing was getting old like some of the reviews said.

Overall, the rooms are decent - clean, comfortable and has a big bathroom with tub and shower stall. Furniture a little old and pillows too soft. It's reasonably priced for a hotel in the CBD area (if you have to stay around this area), service is not bad (although check-in was slow and staff was inflexible) although furnishing is old. There is limited local food joints/fast food to grab a quick bite around the area - mostly pricey restuarants (granted it's CBD). Room service food was okay - had the club sandwich which was good but the ice cream was average. Breakfast is average and a tad pricey.

Service at check-in: staff was slow and we had to stand around waiting after a long flight (definitely something to improve on). No idea why check-in has to take so long - more than 10-15mins. There were two of us on a work trip and had requested for non-smoking, king beds on the same level but there was only one available (we booked two rooms), and the hotel did not offer any solution but stared at us saying there's nothing they can do nor did they want to offer an upgrade (it's not peak season). Totally not appreciated on this coming from a 5-star hotel. To be fair, other than check-in, service is fine. We had problems with wifi in the room (weak signal) and the staff came promptly to resolve the problem by placing routers in the rooms.

Believe you can find better hotels in this area but if you don't mind old furnishing and below standards service at check-in, it's decent. (Not sure about service during check-out as I've not yet checked out!)

Denmark
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I give up with this hotel, sorry. Yes, nice rooms and location, but service in reception and check-in/out is like nothing I have ever seen before anywhere. Check-in was less than ten minutes this time (improvement from last stay), check-out was 30 minutes including waiting for luggage to be picked up from the room...will just bring it myself next time. Restaurant was very good, but when charging bill to the room they asked me to 'go see reception' because there was not enough coverage... knowing they just locked 6600rmb on the credit card for two nights stay there should be plenty (ended up paying by cc). One of my colleagues got the key to a room where someone else already stayed (mistakes can happen), the other was initially overcharged because the booked room type was not available anyway (not really our problem) etc. Hope others will enjoy the hotel, it has so much potential...will not return to see the improvements though.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Spent some time here on a business trip.
If I didn't have a family back home I'd move into that room. One of the most tasteful rooms I've ever seen. The rest of the hotel is very impressive as well.
Great service as well- needed help, got it in all of 5 minutes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
NJ
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Exceptionally nice room, super friendly staff and the location worked well for me. The bell hop would not let me leave one morning because I did not have my umbrella and he told me that it was going to rain. He made me go back and get it which I did begrudgingly, 10 minutes later the heavens opened and I would have been drenched. Too funny.

The hotel is east of the center which suited me, it is very close to the Silk Market but if you want to get down to Tian'anmen square or Taijichang Street then you'll need to take a cab.

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had a very enjoyable experience at this Hotel. Everything is new and modern and well maintained. The rooms are big and spacious and the bathroom a real treat. Features a full size bath and spacious shower. The beds are comfortable and the linen top quality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I mainly stayed here for work so it's slightly different to when you pay yourself but i hope it is still objective.

The hotel is in a good location. Right across the road is our office. I have never been there long enough to check out any of the nearby shops but I do know that there a couple of excellent restaurants across the road; so for me, it was perfect. Chaoyang is one main business areas so it's defintely a good place to be for work. You aren't too far from the Forbidden City either and it has good access all round.

First impressions: the lobby is pretty and swanky but it's a little souless inside. It's nice to have marble, blonde wood etc but the generic nature of the decor makes this rather unspectactular. Also, there are no 'Chinese' touches such as serving you tea or giving you wet towel so it seems you can be anywhere.

The room: appears very nice as you walk in. It is spacious with a large king bed, a nice desk and both a full bath and full shower in case you couldn't make do with the one. View left a little to be desired but I guess that is Beijing for you. My main gripe is the bed and the temperature of the rooms. I was there during some rather cold spells so the heat was on full and took all the moisture out of the air. I turned it off completely and I was still hot so it made my stays particularly uncomfortable. Then there was the bed. If you are into super soft beds and pillows, this is for you. When I was there, with the heat and the softness of the bed/ pillows etc, i just couldn't sleep. This is obviously down to preference but it wasn't for me. I also didn't like the two door set-up for the bathroom. I am just one of those who likes cupboards closed and all doors closed when sleeping and maybe I just forgot to close a door which then added to my sleep misery.........

We also managed to visit the bar one evening and that was again a souless place. OK, it was a Wednesday but given the ultra high ceiling, the lack of soft lighting and all, this was more like an airport bar rather than something in a 5 star hotel.

Breakfast was OK; it was quite a varied assortment which would satisfy most people but I wouldn't say the quality was great. Also the room in which it is in is a little weird in that it is long and narrow so everyone walks past you. Coffee comes lukewarm too. My burger in-room was good though.

I have chosen not to stay again mainly as I sleep so badly there (I've stayed 3 or 4 times). I wouldn't say this is a great hotel and it was just unfortunate for me. Maybe some others will really like the location/ rooms.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GrdMillenniumBeijing, Manager at Grand Millennium Beijing, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear HKFooey,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Millennium Beijing.

If you choose to return, we have a good range of pillows available, from soft to hard and feather to therapeudic.

Best regards,