The hotel overall is a bargain, i totally reccomend it because you can have everything you need with less than half of the money that other hotels or chains are asking for. I stayed for 5 nights during mid October - which by the way is the best season to visit Beijing (great weather conditions, not many tourists, better prices). Mid October, follows the 1-7 Oct week which is traditionaly the chinese's holidays and during that time everything is more difficult and usually a bit more expensive, better try to avoid). I give you the facts and you deside yourself.
The good news:
* The location is very nice in Xizhimen area, mainly chinese people not many hotels nearby. Beatiful local shops will make you feel like you're a part of the neighbourhood, you can buy fruits from the local shop, refreshings from the liquor store or just go the nearby supermarket. also nearby there's a bank - very useful. People are nice and helpful, the place is safe, you'll love it. On the other hand, if your main purpose is business, as business meetings etc are mostly taking place in the financial district which is Chaoyang district, have in mind that you need about 30' taxi - at least, sometimes 45' as the traffic in Beijing is widely known worldwide..
* The rooms are very good (though maybe just a bit smaller than average), but they have workdesk, free wifi with very good speed, they are clean,well decorated, everything looks new, the bathroom is nice, high quality linens except the mattress which is no good - see below.
* The metro is nearby, only 5 minutes walk - line 4, Xinjakou station. It costs 2 yuan (0,30euros or 0,5USD). By the way, the taxis in Beinjing are also cheap, most routes will cost you from 15Yuan (or RMB, is the same) which means 1,9euro or 2,7USD, up to 45Yuan the most which means 5,5euro or 8USD. The taxi from the airport to the hotel takes about 40 minutes to complete the route and according to the traffic it will cost you from 80-100Yuan (10euros or 13USD). Tip: ALWAYS have your destination and of course the hotel's destination to be able to return, written in Chinese clear and with big letters. Plus point the destination in the big beijing chinese map (ask the hotel's reception to give you one). Anything else is paper from the outer space for the taxi drivers.
* The staff is trying to do it's best and you'll feel very welcome. But very limited english here (see also below).
* The value for money is fantastic, a bargain, only 38euros or 50USD for a deluxe room is about the 1/4 of the price that the other hotels ask for similar services!
* A very nice and good/clean restaurant is just near the hotels door !
* The hotel offers a small parking in it's frontyard in case you need it !
* There's a fish (!) to keep you company in the room !
The not so good news:
*As in a hotel you mainly want to sleep very well and i didn't because (though the linens are high quality and the pillows nice etc) the matresses are extremely hard, this hotel should have had a lower rate! But as most of the clients are chinese businessmen and couples and in chinese culture hard matresses are a common and as all of the rest was were so good, it would be unfair.. Tip: I asked for one more quilt and i've putted it between the matress and the sheet! Much better sense, accepted, problem solved.
*The staff is trying hard to be helpful but it speaks and understand very limited english as almost ALL Beijingers! Prepare to try to communicate with people who don't even understand the "yes" or the "no". Apart from one girl who understood most of the basics, the rest of the staff understands only about 30 basic words. Tip: I translated in google from english to chinese (simplified) many phrases for the reception or for the taxi drivers and i mailed them to myself. Then i received them in my iphone as emails and i had them with me always. That SAVED me many times because it gave me the chance to communicate with the reception, the restaurants and mostly with the taxi drivers! it was very helpful to have these phrases with me, i strongly reccomend you to do something like that (for example you can print them and have a paper with you to choose the phrases you need each time)!
* The soundproof between the rooms is also very limited.
Good luck whatever you'll choose to do and have a great time in Beijing! :o)
Thank you for reading my review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in cultural area and the heart of Beijing, the Hotel is surrounded by many historical attractions. Guests can easily visit the hip Hou Hai Lake (the Back Lake) for funky nightlife. Also, it is very close to the centre of the traditional Hutong (Beijing alleys) area, tourists can take rickshaw tour going around. The sophisticated bus and subway networks give easy access to many tourist destinations and there is around 30-min drive away from the airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Ctrip TA so you can book your Orange Hotel Beijing Xizhimen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.