“Clean & Friendly” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 1,287 Beijing B&B and Inns
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Clean & Friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

Everything you can expect from an hostel.

Easy to get information and to book reliable tour. The trip to the Great Wall was excellent,
and without stop to tourist hassle :)

Near Yanshao (Clothes) Market.
Negative: Quite far from the Subway (20 min), but once you are use to the bus, it is ok.

Great hostel but location is not so convenient, better to stay in Hutongs

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

This was a great hostel to be in! The staff y very friendly, the only thing is that my room was on the 4th floor and no elevator...after the great wall that is a problem ;)

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Daegu, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

Good place for drinkers.Wed nite free hot pot was ok and Fri nite free dumplins.Just buy your own drinks.Starts at 7 PM...Mug of beer 15rmb-bottled beer more.Free wifi and inroom internet was nice.Some tenants used their laptops in the lounge area downstairs eating or enjoying a beer.Tour prices listed downstairs were ok.Nearby shopping walking distance.Neaby restuarants.Three English speaking staff.If you get there early morning you can wait in the room near the reception desk where there is a pool table until 6 am for check in.Thats what I did waited 3 hours so I wouldnt have to pay for the night before.Young guy at the front desk very professional and friendly.Four floors.No elevator so you might ask for a room on the second floor.Mine was on the 3rd.My room was ok-small but cozy.Had 2 beds and bathroom with shower,tv and a place to sit down.No fridge but I just put my beers or other stuff near the window and it was Feb so outside temp kept my beers cold.If you go out the back way of the hostel and turn right just walk down the street about 2 minutes and nice little eating place on the left.Tsiang bottled beer just 5 rmb all the time.Has an upstairs for smokers.Owned by British Guy and tall American guy(Ronnie) and one waitress who also speak English.Very good service there.Out of a ten I will give Sanlitun an 8.

Room Tip: Four floors total.Try to get a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

We arrived at Beijing at the end of January 2012 for a stay of 8 days at this hostel. It was three of us travelling and although we usually do not venture usually with hostel accommodations we decided to do so, because we wanted to spend more money on attractions and shopping rather than on a hotel. Yes, we look for cleanliness and safety above all specially when we are travelling. That is why, it was my research on the different hostels of Beijing that made me decide this would be the place to stay. As many other reviews, the hostel is very clean, of course it has it minor difficulties like a leaky bathroom, but hey..... it is overall a pretty good place to stay. The staff is very very helpful, however having travelled to Beijing several times before we found that their taxi pick up at airport, which we thankfully opted out of was way overpriced. Pros on taxi: if they arranged the pick up it would have been easier as the driver would have known where to find the hostel. Believe me when I tell you, that the driver which we paid 120 yuan (which is not bad) had the time of his life finding the place after even calling the hostel. Con on taxi: the hostel asks for 200 yuan for them to pick you up. On the other hand I guess it is ok if you don't want to be almost dropped off in no mans land which almost happend to us. Well, now that I got the bad out of the way. Let me tell you that the hostel offers different foods at the restaurant for different days, it has a small area with a large screen tv where patrons can sit and use their wireless internet or mingle. As far as I am concerned it was a nice place stay for a budget like the one we were working with. Oh before I forget, we had a tripple room, which not bad but on the 4th floor (no elevators) with suitcases i had an eye opening experience as to my level of fitness....(need to start excersing more!!!!don't laught! I am not kidding).

The Location of the Sanlitun Hostel is quite ok it is about a15 minute walk to the subway station which in a quick time can get you to the Forbidden city, Tiannamen square or shopping to the Silk or Pearl markets or Xidan...all these can be accessed by the subway.

Shopping, the hostel is close to two main supermarkets that can allow you to buy food without having to be spending a lot of money buying food in restaurants. The main shopping market that I had personally wanted to go to is the Yashow market, which confirmed what I had read that it is like Silk Market but it did not have aggressive salespeople that Silk market had. However, Silk still to a certain extent has better quality goods.

Entertainment, this hostel is close to the bar strip where many bars and night clubs are situated in a street called the Sanlitun bar district. Having wanted to go dance Salsa in Beijing as we were told there were some good dancers here, we managed to find the SAlsa Caribe club which is open every night, unfortunately we could not make it on the night where supposedly there is an orchestra which is saturday night but we were able to make it on a tuesday night. They played good Afro Cuban salsa for the most part of the night and yes there are some very good dancers at the club. We did not stay too long as the smoke became overwhelming but the club was good if you love dancing like we do.

Restaurants, there are restaurants all close to the hostel, there is a McDonalds in the direction of the subway if you want a traditional western fast food or KFC in the other direction where the Yashow market is. Lots and lots of local restaurants that are worth trying close to the hostel.

Finally, recommendation the Sanlitun we recommend for the budget minded and for those wanting to be in a clean, safe and in a location that is close to most places of interest, you can't go wrong with this place. Keep in mind it is a Hostel not a Hotel. But is pretty good.

Room Tip: If you are getting a tripple room in the 4th floor keep in mind you need to climb stairs if you have...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Aldis1726
Kunming, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I moved from the great Sunrise Youth Hostel near Tian An men to stay with my friend in Sanlintun. My first impression of the staff was quiet cold but everyone can be tired and I know some chinese people are not doing their job with a lot of enthusiasm and are lazy to inform people well at the reception. They said the cheap rooms were full whereas a few hours later I met someone who said his had 2 beds available. I found this quite dishonest and after I asked the girl, she barely answered my questions and spoke very coldly back to me... But what made me even more upset was that the staff weas rude when they speak chinese about guests, they assume we didn't understand and laughed about what someone asked and even about some people's look.
Furthermore, I happened to be in the room once when they cleaned it. they opened the door, didn't say hello, played and giggled like kids, swept the floor VERY roughly on the middle part (not under beds or tables), and left. The common areas weren't clean either.
I felt this hostel needed a serious manager to care about the guests' need.
I happened to need to go to hospital, and I had to spend 20 minutes asking, waiting for their giggling, until I got angry and made them understand it was serious, and all I got was a number to call... in chinese !

Room Tip: Ask to see several rooms before trusting what you are said...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LinziPr
Beijing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

Had a very rough time at this place on a number of topics:

First I had some trouble finding the place. I called up to figure out where the hostel was as it is semi hidden from the street. I was on foot but the staff kept asking to talk to my taxi driver despite the fact that I was on foot. I switched to Chinese half way through the call and the staff still could not give me good directions to their hostel.

Then I arrived and they wanted to charge me more than I had booked for. I then found that many people were paying even less than I did. Book online to ensure you get the price you haggled for.

I arrived in a slack period, but the hostel was nearly full. Most of the people there were not travelers but English teachers illegally working in the country. I found them very cliche and not very knowledgeable about the city (for one thing they were living in a hostel instead of renting an apartment)

The dorms smelled and were very dirty. My bed at least was spotless but more on that later.

One day I arrived back from being out and I found that someone had been in my bed, eating, and had left crumbs and food wrappers. I complained to the staff but they did nothing about it.

I bought some cans of beer and left them in the windowsill to chill. When I returned they had been set on the crowded table, opened, but not drunk. Who opens someone else's beer but leave it?

When packing up I found that some of my stuff had been STOLEN. I am absolutely sure it was there in the room on the second day but not there on the fourth. Again the staff were no help. Luckily all my valuables were on my person the whole time.

One morning I woke up to find that in addition to all the beds being full there was a random African male on the ground sleeping (drunkenly past out). I just dont think a hostel should let anyone sleep in the dorms rather should limit it to those who are registered and paid.

All this in a rather plain hotel that doesn't have enough bathrooms for all its tenants. The only hostely parts of it are a crappy bar/western restaurant on the first floor which constitutes the only common place to hang out. It was usually full but not a very inviting place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Richard_P_B
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

When we finally found this hostel it turned out to be great! Struggled to find it as we could not direct taxi driver however it is a good location and short walk to main shopping district and food joints. Hostel had great, comfortable communal area with hot food served all day and free internet and plasma t.v. Rooms were very basic and had shared shower rooms at the end of each corridor which can be inconvenient however these were very clean and modern. Great little deli/supermarket at the rear of the hostel on the main street which sold european food to take away. Staff were great at organising trips eg great wall. Would stay here again and loved beijing!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple