“Great tour”

UnTour Beijing Food Tours
Ranked #3 of 62 Food & Drink in Beijing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Our 3-hour culinary tours have been featured in the New York Times, Guardian & more. Come explore Beijing’s tastiest authentic cuisine in local hutong neighborhoods, away from the crowded and touristy night markets. We’ll get you eating shoulder-to-shoulder with other local diners in the best hidden culinary gems.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed June 14, 2017

We went on the breakfast tour with Zeben and had an amazing time. We have 2 small children (5 and 8) who thought it was awesome to walk around and eat 7 breakfasts! They are not extremely picky eaters so they tried everything at almost every stop (and are still talking about how good the sugar bing was weeks later!) Walking around the hutongs on the tour gave us the confidence to explore more independently for the remainder of our trip. This tour was definitely one of the highlights of our time in Beijing

Date of experience: June 2017
UnTourFoodTours, Manager at UnTour Beijing Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2017

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience with us. We love having kids on our tours, and are happy to hear yours enjoyed the tour with Zeben! It is our goal to help all of our guests discover great authentic local eats, and feel empowered to go out on their own, so we’re very glad to hear you feel this way. We hope you are enjoying the rest of your stay in Beijing and look forward to eating with you again!

All reviews
"biang biang"
in 7 reviews
"local food scene"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this food tour"
"great introduction"
"awesome guide"
"perfect english"
"language barrier"

Reviewed June 12, 2017

My friend and I booked the "Old Beijing Dinner Tour" and joined Chang and Garth along with five other like-minded foodies for a taste of Beijing. The food was delicious and varied, and there was plenty of it. The drink was equally generous. The hardest part of the night was portion control since we hit up three or four places before the night was over. Both of us were completely full and rubbing our bellies on the subway ride home. Chang and Garth were great -- eagerly sharing some of their favorite local spots and a bit of city history and explaining what we were eating. These spots were definitely off the beaten trail and were absolutely fantastic. I would easily do the tour again with first-timers in Beijing.

Date of experience: June 2017

Thanks for eating with us in Beijing. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time on the Old Beijing Dinner tour with Chang and Garth. The best thing about food tours is getting to sample SO MUCH FOOD in just a few hours, especially when you are traveling solo or in a small group and have limited stomach space. It is our great pleasure to host foodies like you and your friend and we look forward to eating with you again in Shanghai or Beijing!

Reviewed June 11, 2017

I was on a stopover in Beijing for work and in addition to the Great Wall, I wanted to check out some great local cuisine. Being a bit shy and not speaking any Mandarin, the UnTour group makes it really easy to sample a large variety of food from some local vendors. We had 2 guides on our tour, Chang and Garth, and they were both really great. The tour ended up being quite intimate, with only one other customer, and by the end of the tour I felt as though they were all my friends instead of fellow tourists and tour guides. Everything we ate was really delicious and I think the cost of the tour was well worth it for the experience and the food you get to eat. It made the hunt for good food a bit easier.

I enjoyed it so much I will be checking out UnTour Shanghai during my stopover this week!

Date of experience: June 2017

We really appreciate you writing up your review of UnTour Beijing Food Tours. It is our ultimate goal to host every UnTourist with our selections of authentic local eats on a pleasant and informative journey. We honestly have the BEST guests in the world, and we love when the tour ends, but the friendships forged over food continue. Can’t wait to eat with you in Shanghai!

Reviewed June 11, 2017

This food tour was one of my favorite parts of my trip to Beijing. I really enjoyed the food selections due to the fact that they were unique and not something you would normally seek out on your own, or even know about if you are not from the area.

The tour guide, Garth, was very helpful in explaining any techniques associated with eating the food, as well as the historical significant of the food. I found this to be very interesting and helped me to appreciate the significant of it from a cultural aspect.

I also enjoyed the fact that Garth ate with the rest of us. I felt like it made it more of a familiar experience; a group of new friends eating rather than an awkward group of strangers on a tour.

I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone traveling to Beijing, or even someone living there who wants to find some unique eateries off the beaten path. I will definitely refer my friends to it, and would go on this tour again myself if I have the opportunity.

Date of experience: May 2017
UnTourFoodTours, Manager at UnTour Beijing Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2017

We really appreciate you writing up your review of UnTour. We honestly have the BEST guests in the world, and we love when the tour ends, but the friendships forged over food continue. We’re so pleased to hear that you enjoyed exploring the hidden gems in Beijing with Garth and your fellow UnTourists. Looking forward to eating with you again in Shanghai or Beijing!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 10, 2017

This is one of the best food tours i have ever done. Being able to explore the hutongs of Beijing while tasting foods i would have never tried as a tourist made for a unique experience you can't get anywhere else. All of the food was delicious, and our guides Eric and Casey did a fantastic job explaining both food and location. I left feeling that Beijing is a city i need to spend more time in, even if only for the food. This is a must do tour when you're in Beijing!

Date of experience: June 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed both the food and the legends behind the dishes with Erik and Casey. Food is such an important part of the culture of every region, and it’s also definitely one of UnTourists’ most crucial standards when rating a city. Come and eat with us again in Shanghai or Beijing!