Wenjin Hotel
$92
$87
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspeking universityhotel roomforbidden cityenglishzhongguancunacademicconciergetaxis
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights since it is very close to Tsinghua University where I was working for a number of days. My rate was around AUD150 per night including breakfast. This was good value compared to hotel charges in capital cities around the world. It is very convenient to the technology park and also Peking University

The hotel lobby was well presented and my room was a reasonable size with a small desk which I found useful. The bed was a bit softer than I’m used to, but I found it very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless except for some dark stains in part of the grouting in the shower.

The buffet breakfast had a wide variety for a selection of nationalities, and for Westerners who aren’t adventurous there is fresh bread for toast, a small selection of cooked items (bacon, sausages and baked beans), a selection of pastries, platters of fresh fruit and cereal; on some days the cereal was all bran (good) and other days coco pops (hmmm) and puffed rice balls (OK but not great).

If one needs to speak in English to any staff, I always found the receptionists very helpful and responsive. Other staff I interacted with had very little English but that never caused any problems.

I will be staying here again on numerous return visits.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vannofavalon
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here for 2 months in late 2013 (Oct-Dec) and, after paying large sums for the high-end rooms, moved into a long-term arrangement in which I am paying $111 per night. The rooms are nice - large, very well lit, reasonably clean, and with attentive room service. But my contract required that breakfast be included at a charge of $10 per day. The breakfast may be fine for Chinese who like greasy vegetables, sausages, and fried eggs, but for a Westerner who likes lighter, fruit and grain-based breakfasts there is nothing to eat. The two kinds of cereal are high-sugar children's cereal (cheerios and chocolate something), and there is often only full-fat milk. There is no decent bread, and the 'pastries' are all tasteless. I have resorted to buying my own breakfast food (decent cereal, banana) and taking it to the dining room to eat. The hotel should allow long-term residents to opt out of breakfast AND it should work on drastically improving its breakfasts for Westerners. I am still here - alas.

This hotel is owned by (or has a longterm arrangement with) Tsinghua University, so people like me who are working short-term at Tsinghua pretty much all are stuck living here. It's in the Wudaokou area, which offers very little that would count as "charming Chinese living." It's packed with people in the evenings, mostly students from all the nearby universities. NOT RECOMMENDED as a place for a long-term stay.

Room Tip: Do not face Chengfu Road - the traffic is very noisy all night long, even from the 9th floor. The higher the floor, the better in terms of noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan G
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Wenjin hotel has a very convenient location if you need to go to Tsinghua or Peking University. The lobby looks impressive - something the rest of the hotel cannot quite match.

Rooms are clean and comfortable with good beds. Attention to detail is somewhat lacking: Bathroom sealants are moldy, tiles are cracked, and water is sometimes only lukewarm. The internet connection is patchy, though this may not be the hotel's fault. Hotel staff is somewhat unmotivated.

If you get a room rate around 100 Euros and need to stay in northern Beijing, then this hotel offers good value. Otherwise there may be better options.

Room Tip: Facing east is probably nicer than facing the other serviced apartment wing on the west.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Spend 3 nights here at the Executive Floor. The infrastructure looks model and update, the fact is not very practical. For example, the hotel has complementary Internet on LAN but no wireless in room. Great bath tube and shower place but beware that water will leak out that make wet the whole toilet.

Breakfast no matter on executive lounge or Reno cafe was horrible. The Korean Resturant was quite good. Be prepared.

Staffs are generally helpful but not everyone. Especially the front desk staffs were not willing to help like asking them to call a taxi is very difficult even though they finally get one for me.

The room temperature is the major reason that I find it uncomfortable. It has warm air only but I find it too hot to sleep. The only thing I can do is to turn off the warm air and open the window!

Why I said 'not bad' here is inspite of every bad things, the location is perfect. Just 3 minutes walk from my office. It is kind of trade off as getting a taxi is really difficult especially during rush hour.

If location is the your major concern, this is not a bad choice.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have nothing good to say about this hotel. It looks modern on the outside but that's all, just a nice facade. The room was shoddily constructed and the bathroom was dimly lit. There was a sort of cover over the electric outlet but it was right under a mirror, making it difficult to plug in a hair dryer. We could not control the room temperature; it was 29 degrees Celsius one afternoon when we returned to the room. I called the front desk and was told to "just open the window." So we did, to avoid roasting ourselves, while letting in all the traffic noise and polluted air, without actually cooling the room off. If it was 29 degrees inside, how much cooler could it get by opening the window? We had to ask for an extra roll of toilet paper, so we would not run out before house keeping came back the next day. Seriously, was it really too much to ask to have a spare roll in the bathroom? There was no wi-fi in the room; we were told to go to the lobby, which we did, only to be asked to order something to eat or drink, since no one could sit in the lobby area for free. We ate at one of the restaurants upstairs. Two people ordered the same thing--fried rice, but they did not arrive at the same time, one coming 10 minute later! It was simply mind-boggling. The staff was inexperienced, inattentive, and sometimes simply rude. We were told this was 5 star hotel!

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can help it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business