“Seems to be trying hard to be "luxurious", but misses the mark”
Review of Wenjin Hotel

Wenjin Hotel
Ranked #684 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Wenjin Hotel is conveniently located close to Tsinghua and Peking Universities and next to TUS Park (hosting companies such as Adobe and Google). It is a short 10min walk from the hotel to Wudaokou metro station. This hotel is definitely intended for a business market and is not ideal for tourist stays.

The hotel is presented as a reasonably luxurious offering, but maintenance is not great and many small details are lacking. Very few staff (even at the front desk) can speak English and communciation me be a bit of a hassle. Rooms are large and spacious.

Several restaurants and shops are available in the hotel, but I would recommend venturing into the neighbourhood for food as there are hundreds of interesting options ranging from street vendors and family shops to very expensive Chinese gourmet restaurants and even American options like a Starbucks, McDonalds and KFC.

The Wenjin is not a bad hotel and can be very convenient if you have to do business in the area. If you have a bit more flexibility I would, however, recommend rather staying close to the town center and perhaps selecting either a real luxury hotel or a cheaper option with a bit more character. There are (literally) thousands of options.

I won't stay there again unless the location is an absolute prerequisite.

1  Thank kobuse

Reviewed October 18, 2011

We attended a conference at the nearby University. Hotel insisted on charging an extra 60 dollars per night for my daughter to stay in the room with us notwithstanding I had a written confirmation showing 3 people would be in the room for a specific price. The air conditioning was shut off and it was hot so everybody staying there was constantly talking about the heat. And... there was no hot water the first night due to a construction project. They didn't have the guts to tell us that when we checked in . The ladies room on the main floor stunk. Housekeeping was spotty. The prices in the hotel were escessive even accounting for the expected inflated prices one pays in hotels. Service in the bar was hilariously slow. The shower created a flood everytime we used it. Internet connection did not work or was so slow to be unworkable.But if you need to stay in that area it appears to be the only possibility. It was convenient to 2 different subway lines and there is a Starbucks about 4 blocks away.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

This is a reasonable four star hotel that is useful if you have business in the area but remote from major tourist sights except for the Summer Palace. However it is located half way between two subway stops that get you to key destinations faster than taxis. Price for rooms however does not reflect this distance when comparing similar hotels in central Beijing which would be better value if distance is taken into account. Rooms are large and in good condition. The heat is preset and cannot be adjusted requiring the window to be left open to cool down the room (letting in traffic noise). Breakfast buffet is expensive but extensive.

Room Tip: Floor 9 and 8 are non smoking
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank eiying
Reviewed October 15, 2011

When I tried to check in at 6:30 PM, the front desk clerk told me the nonsmoking room I requested wasn't available and tried to upsell me to an executive room for an extra 100 RMB per night. When I declined — and said that I would try the smoking room and see how bad the smell was — my nonsmoking business room magically appeared. When I got to the room, the internet didn’t work. I called for a technician, and waited 90 minutes while a pleasant and very nervous young man tried to fix the LAN. Shortly after 8:00 I called the front desk again and asked to be moved to room with a functioning LAN. They told me that there were no other nonsmoking business rooms available. When I suggested that they upgrade me to the executive room mentioned above, that room was suddenly unavailable. After getting the assistant manager on the phone, I was finally given a new nonsmoking business room, but it was a smaller room with no bathtub and a broken LAN jack, which with a little fiddling, we were able to use.

After that inauspicious start, I found the hotel was typical of its kind in China. Pleasant enough design but poor maintenance — the room door would not shut fully without a tug, the window didn’t lock and the in-room safe could be pulled off the wall by a strong child.

The secret to surviving the breakfast buffet was separating the bad, like dried-out fruit, from the dangerous. I nearly broke a tooth on an unidentified, fingernail-sized, hard lump in a croissant.

On the plus side, my room was quiet, the hotel is convenient to Tsinghua University, Google and the TUS Park and there are plenty of cheap-and-cheerful student restaurants nearby. And it is easy to forget that, 20 years ago, this would have been an exceptionally good hotel for Beijing.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed at the Wenjin Hotel during a conference at the main building of Tsinghua University.

Location: The hotel is within walking distance to Tsinghua University and Google. It is in a newly developed area with a newly built science park next to it. Starbucks, KFC and Subway are within easy reach as are several Chinese restaurants (Beijing duck, Hotpot). For sightseeing, the area is not interesting, there is only the Old Summer Palace and the Summer Palace nearby.
The next Subway station "Wudaokou" is in walking distance (about 10 min). But be aware that travelling into the city center will be around one hour.
There are supermarkets nearby.

Rooms: We stayed in an executive room on the 22nd floor (non-smoking) at the conference rate of 868 RMB. The room was spacious and clean, as was the bathroom which also had a bath tub and lots of complimentaries (bath foam, scratch towels, toothbrush, etc). The shower door was not closing properly, which resulted in small "floodings" on the bathroom floor. The bed was comfortable and the room had a safe, TV and internet (cable).

Service: The staff speaks very poor to almost non-existing English. We had to book a taxi for getting to the airport at 4.30 am, which was a problem at first because no one would understand us ( I do speak some Chinese, but as I experienced in several places in China, the staff gets so nervous when "Western" guests ask for something that they just end up doing nothing). We then asked for someone who speaks English and they got one very nice and helpful guy who was booking the taxi for us then and who even made sure that the person on the nightshift would know about it. Unfortunately, I don't know his name, but he was really helpful.
The receptionists and restaurant service are not well trained, but the cleaners are. I once got back to my room while the cleaner was in, and she didn't let me in before I showed her my room key card.

Breakfast: There is only one breakfast included in the room rate, so you have to pay for the second one (60 RMB). The service was very poor! The tables were not cleaned for a long time, and I just ended up getting my own coffee as the staff was very slow. I do not care if things are a bit slower when I am on vacation, but as I was there on business, I expected fast service.
The buffet was great and good value for the price. Western breakfast choices included eggs, waffles, toast, jam, butter, pastries, cereals, juices, milk, and fruits.

Summing up, I would have expected more from this hotel, especially concerning the service, that's why I only give them an "Average". I stayed in cheap hostels in China with much better service.

Room Tip: ask for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is good both in terms of service and location.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Comfortable room (no smoking are higher up), good size, decent bed. Cleaning was haphazard, the shower door leaked somewhat and the plug in the sink and I never came to an arrangement. Other room doors bang mightily all evening. Three restaurants. The Reno Cafe is very expensive and the food good, but you don't have to worry about what your eating becasue there is a large choice, which is labelled. Indeed it is self service and you can eat as much as you like, so I'm not sure why there is a service charge added to make it even more expensive. There is also Chinese and a Korean restaurants. I don't speak or read Chinese, but there was usually a waitress with a smattering of English who would help me through the menu. Food in both was very good, but found the Korean the best. There is also a good gymnasium that seems to be little used. The limo service to and from the airport is again expensive but it is good. There's a good supermarket over the road to the East for cheaper supplies. They don't seem to mind cooling of your own drinks in the fridge.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business