“Luxurious hotel, good service, expensive in-room WiFi”

The Westin Beijing Chaoyang
Ranked #30 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Atlanta, Georgia
“Luxurious hotel, good service, expensive in-room WiFi”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here three nights on a Viking tour. We could not find a place to sit at breakfast one morning; it was, however, a very good breakfast. The in-room WiFi is very expensive; they did have free wifi in one area near the breakfast room. The concierge printed our boarding passes. There was a taxi waiting at 4:30 a.m. They gave us a boxed breakfast the last morning. A very nice, large room with views of the city.
It annoys me that these expensive hotels want to get another $15 to $20 a day for WiFi, when it costs them virtually nothing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Westin_Chaoyang, Hotel Management at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Beijing Chaoyang and taking your time to share your feedback here after your recent stay. We provide complimentary wifi use for some certain room types. Please kindly let us know if you have this need and we would like to make a reservation for your next stay to enjoy our speed wifi service.

We look forward in being of service again in the future and we will continue providing Westin renewing stays for you.

Be Westin!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
shanghai
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is well located as its on the 3rd ring road so only 30 mins to the Airport. (traffic in Beijing is a major consideration as the jams are some of the worst in the world!). Writing this in December, with unusually early snow, the hotel is an oasis of warmth, and handily next door to a major shopping mall with some useful restaurants of medium price. (The hotel has a great steak restaurant but at RMB 1400 for two woot any alcohol is best suited to those on expense account)

The rooms are standard Starwood style - comfortable and well maintained. The gym is decent, and the club floor large, though the range of drinks and snacks are more limited than in other Starwood hotels in China.

Breakfast on 2nd floor is a bit of a circus - very busy, and staff who are helpful but not too well trained.

Price per night is highly variable depending on corporate rates and method of booking. In Beijing with an additional 15% tax rmb1250-1500 is all you need pay for a reasonable 5 star hotel (ie Marriott nearby) but I was charged double this.

Room Tip: Away from lift is quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank souness55
Westin_Chaoyang, Hotel Management at The Westin Beijing Chaoyang, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your stay with us in Beijing and we truly appreciate for your positive review.

We at Westin always feel that it is feedback from Guests such as your kind self that assist us in becoming market leaders by telling us what we need to do better and how to improve. Rest assured that we will be sharing your feedback with the team to enhance the training, ensuring that your future stays with us are pure bliss.

Thank you again and the team look forward in being service again in the future.

Be Westin!
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my first experience of a hotel in China (in 2009). The hotel was, I believe, completed in time for the Olympics, and the quality of its finish reflects that. It's situated at the north end of the 3rd East Ring Road, which is useful if you've got business (for example) outside the city centre, and want to avoid as much of the traffic chaos in central Beijing as possible. It's close to the Embassy district and other nice areas (Sanlitun shopping is 10 minutes away in a taxi), and the Youyi shopping centre is across the road.
Services are good, with a great set of restaurants on site. Sunday brunch buffet is amazing. The Gym and pool are very nice, and the spa is very well presented.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your staying experience with our friends at tripadvisor.com and thank you for your positive review and rating.

We look forward to your next visit and look forward in providing future renewing stays for you.

Be Well and Be Westin!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Westin Chaoyang does not live up to the standard you expect from Westin. The service and hospitality of their staff is appalling - no smile and very rude in a way. Concierge members didn't even bother to give you clear directions to some tourist attractions and kept saying that it's easy. Waiters in the breakfast area cleaned up the tables like in a 10 dollar food stall. Reception staff looked at the computer when talking to you with no eye contact. A manager standing beside the door had no intention to open the door for the guests. The only staff that I was impressed is the bellboy who assisted me to move my luggage from one room to another room.

Westin Chaoyang location is superb though - it usually takes a bit longer from the airport to the City due to the bad traffic in Beijing however it only took me 20 minutes from the hotel to the airport. Around 15 minutes to Sanlitun/Gongti (the bar, club and restaurants area) by cab, 30 minutes to the Forbidden City or the 798 Art District.

The hotel itself looks nice in the outside with nice hardware but you would notice some parts of the hotels are not well-maintained (which is quite a pity for a lot of the hotels in China).

Room Tip: Higher floors definitely with better view. Ask for a room that faces the East 3rd Ring Road with nic...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time to share your feedback here. We are very disappointed to learn your experience with us is not uplifting.

Your comments have been brought up to the management team and we will definitely enhance the staff training for the improvement.

Sincerely we look forward to your next visit to replenish yourself with us.

Be Well, Be Westin!
Kongsberg
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A great and relatively new hotel with generously sized rooms, good size bathroom and a very good general standard. However first indicatins of wear can be found already. In easy reach from PEK airport. The staff is helpfull, but some times the hotel is overcrowed and overbooked.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your time and comments. It is glad to learn you enjoyed your experience with us.

We expect to welcome you back in the short future and shine your uplifting memory with us again.

Be well. Be refreshed.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was my second time staying at the Westin Chaoyang and I must say that from now on, this will be my hotel of choice when in Beijing. In 2009, I had the pleasure of staying here for a whole week! I was on business and what a treat it was (especially being upgraded to one of the prized corner rooms).

This trip though was a single night stay as I was on my way home via Beijing. I took the subway from the Beijing South Railway station (which was crazy!!) and arrived at the Liangmaqiao station and exited through "A", which dropped me right outside the hotel! Awesome! Of course after that experience, I knew upon walking into the hotel that I would be taken care of in the best way. I was guided to a check-in counter. I was staying with Cash+Points, so I didn't expect a great room, but upon asking nicely, the gentleman put me in one of the wonderful corner rooms on the 24th floor! That has to be one of the best room/bathroom combos of any hotel I have stayed in! More on that in a second.

The black floors in the foyer are always spotless and cleaned constantly. The modern architecture is pleasing to the eye and the signature Westin "scent" is faint, but welcome (which is what they are hoping to accomplish...those smart marketing folks...). Service is just top notch! Everyone is very nice, helpful and welcoming.

Once you reach your floor, you'll notice the dark woods and modern decorating that feels very private and warm. The floors I have stayed on are SO quiet, definitely one of the quietest hotels I have stayed in.

I have only stayed in the corner rooms, so my review is based only on that experience. You walk in and are greeted by a spacious, beautifully appointed room! Everything is electronic. The curtains and light-blocking shades are activated by a touch of a button and will present you with amazing views of the surrounding areas. One of the best things is waking up in the morning and hitting those buttons and watching as the curtains part, the sun peeks through and is a beautiful way to wake up! It just so happened that the night I arrived was a bit breezy and the next morning - for the first time ever - I was able to have a clear view all the way to the mountains. Wonderful!!!! The bathroom is equally awesome. You'll find a wonderful soaking tub with a TV at one end (if you're into that kind of thing). Two sinks with a large area for plenty of stretch out room. The toilet is in a separate frosted glass "room", next to the shower that is in a similar frosted glass divider. The shower is where things really shine. The floor is smooth and the water runs towards a slit in the floor along the back wall. Great design and interesting way to shed the water! The rainforest type shower head is so nice a relaxing. The really interesting thing about the bathroom though is the floor to ceiling windows with the same electronic shade. Mind you, you probably don't want to shower at night with the shade open, but once done in the shower, it is very cool to go about your morning routine with a view out those windows!!

The fitness center and pool are another great addition to this hotel. I have used both and enjoyed them, but the pool is something else. The area is kept very dark, which may put some people off at first, but the LED lighting and salt-water infinity pool really provide a relaxing atmosphere to exercise and do a water workout. Swimming at night is awesome!!

As for food, I have eaten at most of the restaurants. As you would expect, they are not cheap. Grange probably being the most expensive. The food is very good, but I find the prices a little over the top for the fare offered. On my approved company dime, I did enjoy the Wagu beef, which was out of this world, but the price is a bit nuts. As others have mentioned though, breakfast is fantastic. The staff is excellent and the food is....well.....whatever you want! All top quality and a feast you want to keep coming back to!

I look forward to my next trip to Beijing as I know I will be back at the Westing Chaoyang.

Room Tip: Kindly ask for a corner room. You might be pleasantly surprised if they have something available.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us in Beijing and we are truly humbled having been rewarded with a high score. Rest assured that we will continue to elevate our services to ensure that your future stays remain memorable.

Thank you again and we look forward in being of service again in the future.

Be Well, Be Westin!
Shanghai
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Every time I go to Beijing, I stay at this hotel, unless I have meetings in West Beijing. It is so convenient after you arrive at BJ airport (only 30 minutes by taxi). It's right above a metro station and next to a very modern shopping mall, where you can find restaurants of various price ranges. I prefer to take metro to Guomao area during peak hours. SPG lounge on the top floor has nice view over the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing west. Facing east will give you noice from the third ring.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know how we did during your several stays in our hotel and we are happy that you enjoyed your Westin experience. We look forward to your next visit and look forward in being of service again in the future.

Be Elevated, Be Westin!