“Service, presentation and attention to detail”

Pure Lotus Vegetarian (Changhong Qiao)
Ranked #167 of 12,627 Restaurants in Beijing
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Yansha
Austin, Texas
“Service, presentation and attention to detail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

You get welcomed with a couple of men in costume who walk you through the alley with lanterns at the end of a pole.

The private rooms have a nice fragrance, candle lit chandeliers.

The set menu is carved on a long piece of wood (about 3 feet long). The regular menu is also exquisitely designed. The attention to detail that the menu exhibits extends to the service and the food presentation.

All the appertizers we ordered are shaped and made to taste like meat (ham, sausage, fish etc.).

There are some really expensive teas (lao shan) in the menu.

• Visited November 2013

Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Simply Oustanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

One of the finest eating experiences I've had in travelling 65 countries round the globe.

The set meal (£75) is a complete feast of 10 refined, quality vegetarian courses. The service was gracious beyond belief. The décor and ambience are stunning.

Absolute bliss for a very special experience indeed. Highly recommended.

“Great surprise!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I would like to start of by saying that I've heard great things about this restaurant for long time and just had an opportunity to try it myself and I'm so happy that I did.
It's by far the most interesting experience that I had at a restaurant as I've never tried such restaurant before. The special thing about it is that all the ingredients are all vegan BUT the flavor is of a real food!!!
I don't understand how it's possible but bean made fish tastes like fried salmon! A fondu made of a tree tastes exactly like cheese, plus the smell and the texture are exactly the same!!! unbelievable.
The restaurant is well decorated, the service is one of the best I've had in Beijing (English speaking) as a lot of the courses need waiter's operation.
Although the restaurant is pricey it worth the experience, specially if you are hosting people.
Great place to show off!

San Francisco, California
“Best restaurant ...ever even if you are not a vegetarian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

First review on a restaurant and I felt compelled to do so as it is honestly the BEST restaurant that I have ever been too. I have been there three times so far and will always go there when in Beijing. The food is incredible, a little expensive but well worth it. I recommend making a reservation but I have been there without one. Where to start, well its not a place were you will find Coke or any other soda, all natural, so try some lovely Chinese tea.

Their menu is quiet different, very large with beautiful pictures - and its in English and Chinese. Anything that you chose you should know it will be fantastic and so well presented. Your plate is a shell, you have leaves as a place-mat, and the food is presented in the most incredible dishes - from silver swans to a crystal lotus. The decor of the restaurant is just perfect and beautiful. Push chairs with bright cushions, the restaurant has just had its decor updated, although the old decor was truly great, the new one makes more sense and makes better use of the space, allowing for more people to eat without being crowded.

The atmosphere is casual and friendly. One visit we were there until very late, we never felt that the staff wanted us out. They were very attentive and made us feel as we are in our own house not in a restaurant. The staff are very friendly and all speak English as well as Chinese, of course.

My favorite dish is the "fake" Peking duck. As I have been a vegetarian for 30 years I have never tried the real Peking duck, but my friend from Beijing and her son told me it tasted even better. In fact her son could not tell it was not meat!!

Please find time to visit this restaurant, you will not be disappointed. Vegetarian or nor it does not matter - its simply fine food, that will be feast not only for your taste buds but for your eyes as well.

1 Thank Philippa L
Jerusalem, Israel
“Excellent food, excellent setup, excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We went there without reserving first. It would be better to reserve. They asked us to wait, served as a refreshment until a table was free. There are several "rooms". We were at one of them, amazingly well decorated. The others we could see were also gorgeous.
The food was presented in an admirable way. The service was just excellent. I would recommend anyone to go there. We had a tofu version of Beijing duck and some noodles that were very tasty.