“Back to the 1970s”

Mombasa Beach Hotel
Ranked #42 of 60 Hotels in Mombasa
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is probably one of the worst I have stayed at. The infrastructure dates from the 1970s, the bathrooms in the rooms are awful (low or no pressure / hot water takes forever to come through). The breakfast is limited. Staff seem demotivated.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Lee A

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Located in Nyali, the posh part of Mombasa, but certainly not a poshy poshy hotel. It appears that this hotel caters mostly to conferences hosted by Kenyan government and tight budget NGOs. The room was on par with a $15/night inn, but at a $80/night price.
PROs
- Room A/C was good
- on the beach
- didn't hear the Jambo Bwana song or hakuna matata once!
- the staff took good care of me (even got me a free ride to town)
- not far from the Nyali Mall, Bob's and other places to eat and drink. Just a few miles from Mombasa town.
- there wasn't the constant hustle as soon as you stepped on the beach. Probably because the hotel caters to nationals/budget
- big pool though it was a little cloudy
- beds and linens were a bit worn down, but no worse than at some high price places in the country

CONs
- no hot water and low water pressure
- food was standard Kenyan fare - ugali, rice, beef stew, choma, beens, githeri, plus some overcooked fish. This is fine and I eat it all the time but everything was oversteamed and under spiced. After three days I had to go to town to get something with some flavor.

Neither here or there
- internet in the lobby only
- TV (didn't watch it, but the porter demonstrated that it worked)

If you just need the basic necessities or a place to sleep between excursions, laying by the pool/beach then Mombasa Beach Hotel is fine. If you want a posh place go elsewhere.

Room Tip: The sliding glass door to my balcony didn't work so I would choose a ground floor, walk-out room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank ajpeters
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I was booked here and while it is a good location it is clear that the hotel is not maintained. The toilet in my room has a rusty bottom and didn't flush well, the shower is built for someone 4 feet tall, the sliding doors did not shut well and the air conditioning did not work well. This place has clearly seen better days.

If you're going on vacation this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank GlobL
zanaki, Guest Relations Manager at Mombasa Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Globl,

Good Afternoon.

On behalf of Management of Mombasa Beach Hotel i would like to formally apologize for the inconvience we have caused during your stay with us.

What you have highlighted is truth and we are in the process of doing a major refurbishment of the unit as we speak.

We are embarking on working on phase one which will cover 50% of the rooms, the whole frontal areas and the swimming pool as from June/July 2012 and thereafter Phase 2 will touch on the remaining areas.

The Bathroom especially will receive more attention we are actually contemplating on doing away with the bathtubs and having and having ultra modern bathroom.

Kindly accept our humble apology and promise that in the next visit you will get to see a much better Mombasa Beach Hotel the unit of Kenya Safari Lodges and Hotels.

Looking forward to hear from you on ways we can improve our facilities better.

Have a lovely day.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE. DO NOT VISIT. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES HIRE THE MEN TO TEACH YOU HOW TO WIND AND KITE SAIL!!!!!
This place is a filthy dump with employees who will tell you one thing, then make you pay 10x more. They are bullies. Also, the beach is dirty and filled with sellers and hustlers. Save your money and your time. Go to the Sonesta.

Room Tip: Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank WorldTravelStar

Dear World Travel Star,

Good Morning.

Am responding to your review posted on the TripAdvisor .com. We do sincerely apologize for the ordeal you underwent with the Kite surfing staff at the Mombasa Beach Hotel. We have since been in-touch with the Staff and owners of the kite surfing unit and have advised them to have their rates be well displayed at both the reception and at the site to discourage case of fraud or rip off to our clients.

Additionally all items or services in the Hotel for sale have now been priced and publicly displayed to avoid the fraudulent practise.

We appreciate the updates and we look forward to serving you better.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2011

My family stayed here for 2 days this year in September, 2011. When we got there, the rooms looked pathetic, the beds were not done, there was no fridge in the room. However we decided to suck it in and check out the next day, unfortunately, it was the muslim holiday Idi, and most hotels were fully booked. We had only paid for a two day stay, but our son wanted to be in Mombasa for a third day, so at we paid that morning for a third day. Fortunately or unfortunately, we got an urgent call from home and we had to cancel the stay and head back to Nairobi. When we went to pack our stuff, around 2pm, the room was not done yet, evrything was just the way we left in the morning when we went out. But believe you me, the hotel decided that they were gonna charge us for day room use, even though we had not used the room, and no one had stepped foot in that room to tidy it up. We did not object, they took half the money, but said, they would refund the rest (even though we paid by debit) through their bank (barclays bank). As I write, we have been thrown back and forth, and we have not seen any refund yet in our account almost two months now!!!!The food was good though!!!!, They had ver good African meals, like nduma, ugali and choma

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Di K
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We ended up here after our Monach flight went US. We were supposed to be staying in a comparable hotel to the one we had been in (Southern Palms Beach Resort, Diani Beach), let me tell you there is NO comparison. The place was filthy, the food foul (I got food poisoning), the rooms appalling, the beds had fleas, there were cockroaches, the swimming pool was green, the corridors and a number of rooms stank of urine and damp, the bathrooms were dirty, air conditioning was from the Ark and only worked in some rooms, there was mould in the cupboards and old breakfast cereal on the floor. NEVER AGAIN, there were no redeeming features.

Room Tip: My only tip is DON'T GO!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Madwife36

Dear Madam

Good Morning.

On behalf of the entire management of Mombasa Beach Hotel we would like to apologize for the the experience that you went through at the hotel.

We have since improved our services on the area that you mentioned ranging from the room to the food.

Our level of service has also gone higher and we endeavor to ensure that it will stay that way for years to come.

We do appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the same.

Do have a lovely day.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

My stay at this hotel was my worst holiday ever in Mombasa. I had gone there on April 2009 with my wife and family after having an amazing stay at a hotel in the Tsavo East National park, so we were looking forward to two days of beach and fun.

My hopes of fun at the hotel were quickly dashed as soon as we arrived. We were welcomed in only to find a crowd at the hotel lobby. We realized that the place was open to anyone, regardless of whether they were hotel residents or not. So basically it looked like a day inside a market with people walking in and out in droves. I was expecting to have an exclusive ‘private’ holiday but this was of course not the case.

We were later ushered to our rooms 2 hours later. I was immediately struck by the poor state of the room. It smelt damp, the rooms looked ancient, almost like they had never been repainted and did not get an ocean view room. I basically felt cheated of my money, as I could not believe hotel rooms could be in such a poor state. I genuinely wished I used my money to buy a tent instead and spend the rest of my holiday camping.

Unfortunately, it got worse. Later when we went for dinner, we were met by another crowd/mob. We found it impossible getting seats and when we finally got one, the tables were not set. We had to shout at the waiters after we waited for 20mins to receive cutlery. At this point, my holiday cheer was lost, down in the pits. I felt like I paid money to live in a training army camp.

After I was done with the mediocre food, I decided to retire to my room and sleep off my frustrations. I was soon rudely awakened by insane loud reggae music. I later found out they had decided to hold a live concert right outside my hotel room. I was left with no option but to wake up and join the noise. I soon got to enjoy it though and danced away my frustrations till morning.

I spent the next day sleeping and checked out with my family that evening. I absolutely do NOT RECOMMEND anyone to visit this hotel. Your money will be better off spent buying rocks than staying in such a dreary, dingy, and lifeless run down hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank motsomi85

Dear Motsomi85,

Good Afternoon.

Am sorry you did not get your holiday fully with your family during your April 11' Holiday at Mombasa Beach Hotel.

We do apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your family.

Kindly note that in Kenya we do not have private hotels as this would be regarded discriminatory by the Kenyan Government. What we do is to enhance the security and do crowd control measures that ensure that all hotel users are thoroughly screened at the point of entry to ensure that security risks are contained.

We have done touch ups in all our rooms and we are currently working on a major refurbishment of our unit Mombasa Beach Hotel which will be done in two phases starting June/July 12'. Phase 1 will cover 50% of the rooms including all frontal areas and the second phase will cover the remaining areas thereafter.

We are working with controlled entertainment in the hotel to ensure that the entertainment we offer to our clients will not disrupt any other clients peace and quiet.

We do appreciate your feedback and apologize once more.

Do have a lovely day.