“Outdated hotel. Needs renovation.”

Mombasa Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
“Outdated hotel. Needs renovation.”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I was booked here and while it is a good location it is clear that the hotel is not maintained. The toilet in my room has a rusty bottom and didn't flush well, the shower is built for someone 4 feet tall, the sliding doors did not shut well and the air conditioning did not work well. This place has clearly seen better days.

If you're going on vacation this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank GlobL
zanaki, Guest Relations Manager at Mombasa Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Globl,

Good Afternoon.

On behalf of Management of Mombasa Beach Hotel i would like to formally apologize for the inconvience we have caused during your stay with us.

What you have highlighted is truth and we are in the process of doing a major refurbishment of the unit as we speak.

We are embarking on working on phase one which will cover 50% of the rooms, the whole frontal areas and the swimming pool as from June/July 2012 and thereafter Phase 2 will touch on the remaining areas.

The Bathroom especially will receive more attention we are actually contemplating on doing away with the bathtubs and having and having ultra modern bathroom.

Kindly accept our humble apology and promise that in the next visit you will get to see a much better Mombasa Beach Hotel the unit of Kenya Safari Lodges and Hotels.

Looking forward to hear from you on ways we can improve our facilities better.

Have a lovely day.

Nyakio N.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE. DO NOT VISIT. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES HIRE THE MEN TO TEACH YOU HOW TO WIND AND KITE SAIL!!!!!
This place is a filthy dump with employees who will tell you one thing, then make you pay 10x more. They are bullies. Also, the beach is dirty and filled with sellers and hustlers. Save your money and your time. Go to the Sonesta.

Room Tip: Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank WorldTravelStar
Dear World Travel Star,

Good Morning.

Am responding to your review posted on the TripAdvisor .com. We do sincerely apologize for the ordeal you underwent with the Kite surfing staff at the Mombasa Beach Hotel. We have since been in-touch with the Staff and owners of the kite surfing unit and have advised them to have their rates be well displayed at both the reception and at the site to discourage case of fraud or rip off to our clients.

Additionally all items or services in the Hotel for sale have now been priced and publicly displayed to avoid the fraudulent practise.

We appreciate the updates and we look forward to serving you better.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies.

Kind Regards,

Nyakio N.

Travelers are raving about these Mombasa hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My family stayed here for 2 days this year in September, 2011. When we got there, the rooms looked pathetic, the beds were not done, there was no fridge in the room. However we decided to suck it in and check out the next day, unfortunately, it was the muslim holiday Idi, and most hotels were fully booked. We had only paid for a two day stay, but our son wanted to be in Mombasa for a third day, so at we paid that morning for a third day. Fortunately or unfortunately, we got an urgent call from home and we had to cancel the stay and head back to Nairobi. When we went to pack our stuff, around 2pm, the room was not done yet, evrything was just the way we left in the morning when we went out. But believe you me, the hotel decided that they were gonna charge us for day room use, even though we had not used the room, and no one had stepped foot in that room to tidy it up. We did not object, they took half the money, but said, they would refund the rest (even though we paid by debit) through their bank (barclays bank). As I write, we have been thrown back and forth, and we have not seen any refund yet in our account almost two months now!!!!The food was good though!!!!, They had ver good African meals, like nduma, ugali and choma

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Di K
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We ended up here after our Monach flight went US. We were supposed to be staying in a comparable hotel to the one we had been in (Southern Palms Beach Resort, Diani Beach), let me tell you there is NO comparison. The place was filthy, the food foul (I got food poisoning), the rooms appalling, the beds had fleas, there were cockroaches, the swimming pool was green, the corridors and a number of rooms stank of urine and damp, the bathrooms were dirty, air conditioning was from the Ark and only worked in some rooms, there was mould in the cupboards and old breakfast cereal on the floor. NEVER AGAIN, there were no redeeming features.

Room Tip: My only tip is DON'T GO!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Madwife36
Dear Madam

Good Morning.

On behalf of the entire management of Mombasa Beach Hotel we would like to apologize for the the experience that you went through at the hotel.

We have since improved our services on the area that you mentioned ranging from the room to the food.

Our level of service has also gone higher and we endeavor to ensure that it will stay that way for years to come.

We do appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the same.

Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My stay at this hotel was my worst holiday ever in Mombasa. I had gone there on April 2009 with my wife and family after having an amazing stay at a hotel in the Tsavo East National park, so we were looking forward to two days of beach and fun.

My hopes of fun at the hotel were quickly dashed as soon as we arrived. We were welcomed in only to find a crowd at the hotel lobby. We realized that the place was open to anyone, regardless of whether they were hotel residents or not. So basically it looked like a day inside a market with people walking in and out in droves. I was expecting to have an exclusive ‘private’ holiday but this was of course not the case.

We were later ushered to our rooms 2 hours later. I was immediately struck by the poor state of the room. It smelt damp, the rooms looked ancient, almost like they had never been repainted and did not get an ocean view room. I basically felt cheated of my money, as I could not believe hotel rooms could be in such a poor state. I genuinely wished I used my money to buy a tent instead and spend the rest of my holiday camping.

Unfortunately, it got worse. Later when we went for dinner, we were met by another crowd/mob. We found it impossible getting seats and when we finally got one, the tables were not set. We had to shout at the waiters after we waited for 20mins to receive cutlery. At this point, my holiday cheer was lost, down in the pits. I felt like I paid money to live in a training army camp.

After I was done with the mediocre food, I decided to retire to my room and sleep off my frustrations. I was soon rudely awakened by insane loud reggae music. I later found out they had decided to hold a live concert right outside my hotel room. I was left with no option but to wake up and join the noise. I soon got to enjoy it though and danced away my frustrations till morning.

I spent the next day sleeping and checked out with my family that evening. I absolutely do NOT RECOMMEND anyone to visit this hotel. Your money will be better off spent buying rocks than staying in such a dreary, dingy, and lifeless run down hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank motsomi85
Dear Motsomi85,

Good Afternoon.

Am sorry you did not get your holiday fully with your family during your April 11' Holiday at Mombasa Beach Hotel.

We do apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your family.

Kindly note that in Kenya we do not have private hotels as this would be regarded discriminatory by the Kenyan Government. What we do is to enhance the security and do crowd control measures that ensure that all hotel users are thoroughly screened at the point of entry to ensure that security risks are contained.

We have done touch ups in all our rooms and we are currently working on a major refurbishment of our unit Mombasa Beach Hotel which will be done in two phases starting June/July 12'. Phase 1 will cover 50% of the rooms including all frontal areas and the second phase will cover the remaining areas thereafter.

We are working with controlled entertainment in the hotel to ensure that the entertainment we offer to our clients will not disrupt any other clients peace and quiet.

We do appreciate your feedback and apologize once more.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent one night here some five years ago after arrival and before going on a safari next morning. At that time we made such a fuss with our travel agency that they decided to compensate us. And promised never to use that hotel again!!! But surprise, when at Christmas we arrived in Mombasa after a very long trip (because of snow in Europe), we were told that the hotel we should have had (a Neptune) was overbooked, and that the only option for a night would be sleeping rough, or the MBH......
The hotel had been painted on the outside since last time, and, this time, the dirty bed linen was changed when we asked for it (unfortunately we got a glimpse of the mattresses) but the food is still ghastly, the water in the swimmingpool of a yellowish green, the gardens not kept, the rooms are not clean, the bathrooms plain dirty, the taps are running as is the toilet, hot water is only available from time to time. The personnel is very nice, but a bit lost. I signed for having a beer at the restaurant thinking I could pay at check out next morning, not so, we were awoken at midnight to pay.
Ah, and the ocean view, they can't take that away from them, it is fantastic

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, but better stay away
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank jesperbxl
Dear Sir,

Good Afternoon.

I do take this opportunity to apologize for the experience you went through Mombasa Beach Hotel.

We have worked on our rooms and are gearing to go for a refurbishment of the entire hotel in phases. Our service delivery has also improved three fold and this can be given the back up by the ISO Certification we attained in December 2011.

We are working on eliminating the flaws that may give us in consistencies in our service delivery.

Be assured that the next time you visit us you will get a changed place in terms of service , cleanliness and also the food we serve be it buffet or ala carte.

Thanks for acknowledging our location suitability.

We look forward to hear from you your feedback is very important to us..

Kind Regards,

Nyambura N.
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I have never felt the need to give a review such as the one i am giving below!!

I checked into the hotel and was welcomed by a glass of fermented passion juice. My room key was handed to me (a plastic affair with what looks like paper stuck in it showing the room number). I followed the porter to my room and the corridors strongly smelled of urine (I KID YOU NOT!!)

My room at first sight was not too bad...on closer inspection i realised i dont have a remote control for my TV. The porter informed me that there arent enough remotes to go around so when people check out they will try and get me one!!

The shower curtain was stained yellow, the mirrors were rusted, there was mold in the wardrobe (and only two hangers). The soap dispenser in the shower was empty and the holder was filthy and stained brown.

Upon turning down my bed, i found ants on my bed sheets! Rooms are not fumigated so one or two cockroaches were also spotted. There was a leakage in the bathroom which upon reporting i was informed that someone will be by...no action was taken. Walking on the floor on bare feet made me realize that the floor was not only sticky but filthy as well. The rooms need painting and the doors as well.

There was no room service menu in the room and when i asked for one, it was brought to me but i was informed i could not keep it!! I was supposed to read it and pass it back to the reception.

The towels in the rooms are frayed are as the bed sheets. There are no safes in the room nor are there fridges for storing drinks!

During my stay, there was a power fluctuation and as it turned out, the backup generator does not support the AC functions in the room. Reception tried to convince me that the reason why my AC was not coming on was because i had left the door or window open!!

The conference room had a broken down AC which only cooled the room for the first few minutes (Frangi Pani Room) Cockroaches were also seen here. The AC leaked water through out the conference and the rude gentleman sent to repair informed us that we just need to be patient! The room will sooner or later get cool.....it didnt!

The food was nothing to write home about but edible. Juice was fermented during every meal except breakfast. The pastry chef is NOT of international standards and pastries were too heavy with margarine used as a cream base.

On our third day there the long queues during lunch were caused by food not being replenished as quickly as possible. During breakfast juice glasses were finished and more were not brought in until breakfast was almost done!

Their wireless facilities are good and free and although the staff need more training they are friendly.

Their swimming pool closes at 5.30!! IN MOMBASA!!!!!! On my last night the AC in the room refused to work!

Honestly i have never been so disappointed in a hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business