“Mon séjour”

Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
Montmagny, Quebec, Canada
“Mon séjour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

1- Room was not very clean at firts. (black hair around the toilet, hair & dust on the floor).

2- The room needs some care, new painting.

3- The building needs some love as well but it still looks ok. Don't wait too lon to put some repair.

4- When we go on the beach, local vendors are likes sharks!!! REALLY IRRITATING when you only want to relax! Cause we don't want to spend 5 days in a row at the bar...A general beach vendors politics would be welcome. "Don't come to me and I'll come to you". I think they would make the same amount of money by just letting the people to shop as they are use to do in there country. Again, it s really unpleasant.

Your employees and the general service is very very good! That's your strenght! I hope you pay them well cause that's the main reason why people are coming back to your place! I've had an excellent impression of them. Thanks them all for me please.

Food is ok.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Yannick B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Was almost excellent. Food was very good; variety and changing menu daily. On the other hand; food and drinks served at the Tanga Bar & Grill are heavily overpriced. Ksh250 (£2 or 10 Zloty) for a bottle of beer. Chips and 2 mixed grilled skewers plus salad and a prawn starter will cost around Ksh.1500 [£10, 50 Zloty) (per person)!!!! For that price, you can get two large fried tilapia fish, fried octopus, squid & kalamari, ugali, kachumbari, fruit salad, drinks and desert of your choice (for 2 people) and still have change!!! That's exactly what we did after trying out reef hotel's overpriced snacks.

Dinner was always excellent. The only down side is, there's no drinks provided at dinner like breakfast..not even water??? com'on.. If you sold you're drinks at fair prices, you'd definitely get more orders.. There's also no music being played in your bars (Tanga) unless there'e pool activities..Com'on... A pool bar with no or limited music??? Plus the Half-Moon beach-side bar had music but the WRONG music.. slow jams like "i will always love you" and Celine Dione being played in the afternoon..really???? You should be playing lively music like lingala or local Kenyan music..

Only bad experience was the confusion at the front of house. I had a note left in our room to call reception urgently on the 2nd morning. Did so and they said i needed to pay my accommodation bill..really??? That was done like a month ago... plus how would you check me in if i hadn't paid the bill??? plus they took copies of the receipt of payment when they were checking us in... Front of House and Accounts department need to ensure this doesn't happen again.. Communicate with each other!!!

Room Tip: The sea-view room is not really as it sounds like because of the surrounding palm trees, but much b...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

ICPAK decided to hold a conference at Reef Hotel so i decided to book my accommodation there.
Meals: Really excellent, i was impressed. No napkins however just one serviette!
Rooms: I've never heard of hotels where one has to pay to use the safe! Why not include the charge in the hotel room (approx.US$1.50 per day). The safes are so small, a laptop cannot fit. One can however leave their valuables at the Reception free of charge (doesn't that beat the purpose of charging for the safes?)
Unless you pay for the superior rooms, the rest don't have fridges.
GYM: Try it out at your own risk. No treadmill, no cross-trainer, just one bike that is sooo rusty one can barely cycle. Two other weight machines which looked like they would snap anytime. This gym is actually a tragedy waiting to happen.
Pools: 3 of them and excellent. Problem is they are open from 7.00am to 5.45pm. This means someone like me whose conferences ended at 5.30pm was completely cut off.
Entertainment: The local professional entertainers were pretty good BUT the animation by the staff was ridiculous, embarrassing, stupid and childish.

This is one hotel i shall not be visiting any time soon

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank nyawera

Travelers are raving about these Mombasa hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I arrived at the hotel in the evening and found the reception staff to be very helpful and accommodating. My overall stay was really good, the meals were always good and the evening shows were always entertaining. The daily pool activities is a nice touch especially with meeting new people. The rooms could be a bit more decorated. The Staff throughout the hotel were always friendly. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed at Reef Hotel for a night in October. After i had heard so many negative things said about the Hotel,i was expecting a very average stay but was ready to face it. Surprise ! It was not as bad i had pictured,the Hotel is quite expansive with good facilities.The rooms are a bit outdated but one notices efforts to renovate here and there. The bedding was ok,A/C not working properly though but towels need to be discarded for new ones(very old).
The dinning area was good and the food ok.The staff are friendly and willing to go an extra mile.
Depending on what one really prefers,most rooms are sea-facing but with a lot of activity so if you would rather have a quiet time then ask for the rooms that are nearer the gate before the reception area.
In my opinion,their rates are commensurate with what they offer

Room Tip: ''Rooms at either end of the main sea-facing block are nearer the sea therefore great'...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

It saddens me to say I have had an unhappy stay at Reef. I am a frequent guest here, have stayed 12+ times in the past 5 years and have loved every stay until my recent stay last month. I booked through FTI, a German tour operator (never again!). I didn't book the cheapest room as I didn't want a garden room, I wanted a sea view room, so I booked a more expensive room. I arrived early in the morning and the guy in reception tried to give me a garden room, I told him I hadn't booked a garden room so he gave me a sea view room. However later that day, the "new" front office manager contacted me and told me I would need to pay extra to stay in the sea view room. I showed him my FTI booking, I showed him how I booked it online and how I had not chose the cheapest room, he still insisted on charging me for a sea view room. I contacted FTI about this and they were no help either. That night when I was in bed, I got a call from reception saying I owe money for staying in the sea view room. I told them I was in bed and would deal with this matter in the morning. The next morning, I was awoken before 8am with a phone call again saying I owed money to stay in a sea view room.

I was so upset as I am a very frequent visitor to Reef, I bring lots of friends out with me from Ireland and the UK to Mombasa and we all stay in Reef, I invite my Kenyan friends into Reef every night for dinner and spend lots of money in the hotel but this is how they treat their good guests. The front office manager only started in Reef in Sept and this is how he treats his guests. I did not book the cheapest room, I had written proof of it but still he still insisted I was wrong. So I moved to a Garden room for the rest of my stay as I refused to pay the extra money, he even tried to get me to pay for the couple of nights I stayed in the sea view room! So be careful with your bookings as you do not want to encounter the new front office manager as he is likely to make you cry.

Usually all good hotels all over the world upgrade their frequent guests, never downgrade them, that has to be a first.

It is such a shame as the rest of the staff are as wonderful as ever, especially Isabella in Customer Relations, she should be called Saint Isabella.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are quieter as they are on the top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Gina W
Ann G, General Manager at Reef Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Mrs Woods,

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for your visit and for the time you spent sharing a review with your personal experience on your stay at our hotel, as we are always happy to learn from our guests how to improve in our daily services.

We were surprised to see your review on Tripadvisor because you wrote an email to our Managing Director and we did send you a reply.

We do apologize for any inconvenience you may have suffered however when we receive reservations from a tour operator such as FTI we offer the room type that has been booked by the tour operator. We have an agreement that if guests wish to upgrade from a garden room to a sea facing room there is an extra charge per day. As I understood our Front Office Manager offered you a 50% reduction for the upgrade.
We are sorry that you think our Front Office Manager has not acted correctly but rest assured that he was following the standard operation procedures of the hotel.

FTI offers all our roomtypes on their website including the sea view rooms and they are slightly more expensive than the standard rooms with garden view.

Please note that during the week of your stay, we were almost fully booked. It might not have looked this way because a lot of our clients are participating in meetings.

The service orientation of our staff is one of our prime pillars and we do our best to school them to be guest oriented at all times, this is why we are very sorry to hear that you couldn’t take full advantage of this aspect of your stay.

Once again we thank you for choosing Reef Hotel and we do hope we may welcome you again in the future.

Kind regards

Ann Gallen
Operations Manager
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

If the hotel management read this, I so hope they take these points on board. They have a charming hotel, with (on the whole) very friendly and attentive staff.

But the place just seems disorganised! Example would be that on all inclusive you can't have your lunch at the snack bar during restaurant hours - I appreciate that the restaurant food was perfectly adequate, but they insisted upon ladies completely covering up, even sun dresses weren't allowed.....kind of defeats the object of staying at a beach hotel if you have to shower and dress for lunch!

I think the reason for this was that the hotel was very quiet, so a number of the bars weren't open, and only one of the restaurants was open at a time when I think there is supposed to be two.

Entertainment was ok, drinks were nice although the bottled beer included on the all inclusive (allsops) was not to my taste, and the draught tusker was not working at any of the bars throughout our stay.

One big plus was the use of proper glass bottled soft drinks, although for all inclusive customers it seemed odd that they would go to the expense of using the small glass bottles of coke etc (not a complaint, was a very nice surprise actually), rather than using the machine they had (again not working).

We didn't bother to venture on what looked like a nice beach due to the fact that if you even peered over the wall, the beach boys came running, and I can't be doing with the mither when I just want to go for a walk.

Swimming pools were excellent, particularly having a pool which you can just swim lengths in is something I wish more hotels would do. Cashier was next to useless, took us half an hour wait to get a safe deposit box working in our room, and I had to get a bit shirty to get them to sort it out, and they never seemed able to change a $50 note without an inordinate wait (half an hour seems standard).

Reception staff were a little off hand on our arrival, but this was a one off, the same lady was very pleasant through the rest of our stay, as was everyone else at the hotel.

Security was a bit odd, being frisked and body searched with a metal detector on arrival all seemed a bit over the top when we then just walked into the hotel with two 20kg suitcases which could have contained anything (if they were really bothered about weapons etc).

Overall a nice week's stay, on a par with the voyager down the road but considerably cheaper.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a pool/sea view