“great value for money”

Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
Prague
“great value for money”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have spent 10 days in Reef Hotel in January this year and I have to say it was one of the greatest holidays I have had. The hotel is well situated right by the beach, has 3 pools and very nice garden. The food was good, staff was friendly and helpful. One message to the unhappy ones: if you expect 5* rooms and services then go to a 5* hotel. I got even more then I expected and so I am thinking to come back next year.

David

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cancermortel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Thank God that my holdays has come to an end.......how can a worker give you his back while talking to you as a geust by the reception(arrogant) and like this is how managers want to welcome more tourist? Food was the hell ....grilled chicken today next day the same chicken made as salad wicked but thats how the management chase pple from the holiday paradise.I couldnt get in to the room for six hour,dirty barthroom, Tv not workin though they changed the room for us they call the room delux just a different name of disaster this hotel is in a lower class and need to be renovated is it worth to spend ur holliday in search a missery. Its sad that search a hotel has authorithy to feed and care take tourist thats why this hotel reef will always get bad feed backs i go with the name DD

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gallinsky, Director of Sales at Reef Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Unhappy Guest,

We are so sorry to feel your disappointment. The Reef Hotel is well known for its very personal and friendly staff, most who have worked at the hotel for many years and are known to all guests by their names, so if you could have mentioned who has treated you so poorly, we would be able to understand what has happened. And all staff wear name badges as well.
The food is different each day. We have to state our menu policy as your comment makes it seem we do not have many different menus. Each week, we offer in the evening, a theme dinner, changing from Chinese, Lebanese, Africa, Indian, Italian, and always a large salad buffet, with a vegetarian selection as well. We also have several days a BBQ.. and we have an a la carte Restaurant for clients who do not want to eat at the buffet.
Our rooms are all recently renovated with new bathrooms, beds, balconies… so I cannot imagine which room you are referring to. If you could have mentioned a room number it could have helped us to better understand your complaint.
In general, the comments are lacking clear facts and it is difficult to respond objectively, as we have 150 rooms, and the majority of the clients are happy, and we have a big number of repeat clients who visit us each year for many years.
I wish we could have assisted you in the hotel whilst you were there as we have a special office for the managers open to all clients to walk in and discuss any complaints and suggestions.

Travelers are raving about these Mombasa hotels

Mombasa, Kenya
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed there for a week.
Hotel is in desperate need of renovation and the management is very arrogant! Staff is friendly, but incompetent.
On top of all this they checked us out earlier than we were meant to and cleaned all of our goods from the room while we were out. After looking for our stuff for a couple of hours we finally found most of them, small items went missing for good. This happened on Christmas Eve and I had better things to do than sort their mistakes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Masa20121234
Gallinsky, Director of Sales at Reef Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you expected.
You had booked your room through an oversees travel agent and where booked into one of our renovated rooms. During your stay a friend of yours, who is living in Mombasa, came to pick up your luggage. The last day there was only one bag left in the room with some chocolates and a note that this was a present for the room steward. This only came to our attention because the day of check-out your friend came over to the hotel to complain that goods were stolen from the room. Since the complaint did not come from you directly this was rather confusing. We proposed to involve the police because theft is taken very seriously by the management. We also explained your friend he is not allowed to take the keys and enter the room because he is not registered in our hotel and should therefore not access the room without your presence. At that moment your friend agreed that involving the police was not necessary and he signed an agreement to confirm nothing was stolen from the room. We also explained to your friend that if your stay was not to your satisfaction we strongly recommend to inform your travel agent about this. However we never received any complaint from the travel agent.
We are very surprised to read now on tripadvisor that goods were stolen. During your stay we have never had the opportunity to talk to you in person as we had to deal with your friend.
If you feel that you were not handled correctly by our management we are very sorry about that and offer our sincere apologies, however since we only had to deal with your friend this was rather difficult for us.

Please feel free to contact the hotel directly so we can settle this matter and find out from you what exactly has happened.

Kind regards
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I visited the reef hotel last week. The staff there were friendly, the food nice. I had fun in the sun and the oceanic view from the hotel was really a moment to cherish. I got to enjoy water sports the most. Without a doubt ill be back there in the near future

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Edwin200
Milan, Italy
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Was there for 2 weeks in December

Good hotel with a distinctive colonial pavilion theme
Staff is very helpful and always accommodating.
Wifi good for surfing, extra charge.

Rooms are nice and mine had a good balcony, bathroom spacious but old fixtures.
All major channels on TV, but small.

Two swimming pools with one for line swimming, other with pool bar, tendency to run out of beach towels early.
Gym is *very* basic & extra charge

Food is good and varied if a bit old fashioned. There is always something east African and some live cooking station. Menu could be distributed more evenly, some days are much better than others. Grill restaurant with good grilled seafood at affordable prices
Proper bar, outside & covered tables.

Evening shows tend to be more varied than the standard Mombasa resort fare.

Overall a good hotel who I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GLMoroni
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We spent a week in the reef hotel, a family with two smal children.The hotel was as expected, comfortable but no luxury, but then also with a relaxing atmosphere. The hotel had a nice garden and a beautiful swimming pool. We booked a refurbished room but got allocated an old room, which was clean, with good toilet and shower, but the bathroom did not look very nice. It is a basic but good hotel with friendly staff.
We booked all inclusive, the food was okay, but more than a week it would become repetitive. We would gladly go back, but I would insist on a refurbished room. Also you need some patience when ordering drinks, but on holiday, we have all the time.
The beach boys were friendly and not too pushy, we booked a two day safari in Tsavo east with george Daudi and had a friendly driver, who looked vigorously for the animals, we saw lions, buffalo, red elephants and zebra, an amazing experience.
We also went diving in the nearby hotel, with buccaneer diving. A professional diving school with quality staff. Nice dives, with lotsa turtles.
We will definately visit mombasa again, and possibly in the reef hotel.

Room Tip: new refurbished rooms with sea view are the best, but can get closer to the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Belgium
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Starting another review on the Reef Hotel in Mombasa, the first thing I noticed is the collection of negative reviews in the column "Recent reviews". Immediately I check if it is the same hotel I visited last October (2012). It is!
As it wasn't the first time I visited The Reef, spent already three weeks there in October 2010, I immediately felt at ease and after checking in, smoothly, a quick shower and an even quicker unpacking, a little walk around the grounds made me feel "at home" again.
ROOM: more than spacious enough for a guy travelling alone and who uses his room just for sleeping. The room is well kept clean, even the corners, and so is the bathroom. Absolutely perfect! Also in the room: airconditioning, a fan and a TV-set. As I didn't try them, can't say anything about them. I almost forget the mosquito net. Probably because I never use it.
STAFF: absolutely no complaints. A few familiar faces, a few new ones. All very efficient with of course one or two exceptions for whom "pole pole pole" is a philosophy or guide to life. But as said, they are the exceptions!
FOOD: was the food in 2010 rather bland, absolutely no complaints about it this year. Breakfast, fine though I prefer bacon to arrow root, but hey, one has to try everything. Luch: great! The introduction of an à la carte lunch, is a wonderful addition. Congratulations! And dinner became also a lot more varied. I stayed for three weeks and there were still dishes I hadn't tried. About the food, no complaints from my side. I admit that several times I had lunch at my Kenyan friends' place (nothing surpasses homemade cooking!), so I skipped a few meals!
NEGATIVE: I could start complaining about the all inclusive beer, but as it doesn't make you drunk, as it doesn't make you sick and as it doesn't give you a headache, it's fine as a vacation beverage! And if you like the real stuff, just spend a little extra.
My only complaint is about the crows: too many and too loud.
CONCLUSION: I had a nice three weeks in the Reef and except for the noisy birds, I can't bring up something negative. And based on my two three-week stays (2010 and 2012) I might think about paying it another visit again, if I ever get into the neighbourhood again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo