My husband and I arrived on 24th February and stayed at the Voyager Beach for 2 weeks.
We had a fabulous time - we had paid for a superior room with sea view booked with First Choice - the view was fabulous of the Infinity Pool and the sea. First Choice was fantatsic - lots of room - would definitely use them again
I won't repeat what others have said - only critiscms would be:
1. Bathroom is small and very dark
2. Towels were a bit smelly but whilst we were there the hotel took ownership of new washing machines so hopefully this will improve the situation.
3. Sometimes in the main restaurant we were put off by the strong smell of calor gas - however the food was very tasty and varied.
4. Check your money when cashing traveller's cheques, changing money etc at the hotel - we were given the wrong amounts on2 occasions.
We ate mostly at the Sports Bar and the Italian Restaurant (it is always nice to be waited on rather than buffet service). Thanks to Mercy, Stephen, George and Claire - we had lots of laughs.
Would we come back to the Voyager ?- Yes definitely. It was spotlessly clean, staff extremely helpful and pleasant, no problems with getting a sun bed, different themes every day.
During our stay we took a 3 day (6 game drive) trip to the Masi Mara staying at Main Governors Camp. We booked through the boys on the beach outside the hotel (Eastern Tours and Safaris). Look out for Bruno in his red baseball cap. The safari was absolutely brilliant. We saved $130 each on the trip (paying $950 each) on the First Choice price and again as others have said it was exactly the same trip.
We were taken by James (the owner of the company) to Mombassa airport at 06:30 and flew on Blue Sky (small plane) to the Masi Mara. This was a 2 hour trip passing by Mount Kilamjiro - excellent views!!. We were then transferred on another small plane to Governor's own airstrip (a 5 min journey). Another 5 mins and we arrived at Governors by LandRover. It was quite muddy when whilst we were there as there had been heavy rain overnight and for the 2nights were there it rained both evenings. The weather was hot during the day but less humid than in Mombassa but very cool in the mornings and evenings.
The highlight of the trip must be an elephant wandering by our "posh" tent in the early hours of the morning. We were however in no danger as the Masi Rangers were always in close proximity.
On our game drives, (06:30 - 09:30, 10:30 - 12:30 and 15:30 - 18:30) we saw lions and cheetahs (very close up) and loads of elephants, buffalo, giraffes, crocodiles, hippos etc. Those that went to Tsavo didn't see any cats and were disappointed.
Our tent was next to the river and we could see families of elephants, baboons, crocs and hippos from here.
Our tent was extremely spacious, with a loo, bidet, shower and washbasin. We had 2 large single beds and hot water bottles were out in our beds whilst we were having our evening meal.It was so cosy when we got back to our tent with the tilly lamp warming it inside and providing light. There is no electricity so we felt a bit daft having taken our travel iron with us and had to wear creased clothes instead!!!
Our guide Joseph was fantastic and his brother Tom's smile (the guard on the gate) was one we will always remember.
The food here also was fantastic.
We just didn't want to leave - we will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moored seven kilometres north of Mombasa city centre, Voyager Beach Resort's convenient 'berth' gives guests easy access to a huge variety of historical, sporting and cultural attractions. The vibrant themed resort is famous for hosting some of Africa's finest family entertainments and animation programs, including unique themed journeys across the seven seas, culinary extravaganzas, with very supervised kids' activities and days out with Africa's best-known and most experienced childrens' safari club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Voyager Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Voyager Beach Hotel Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Kenya
- Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa
- Voyager Beach Resort Kenya
- Voyager Beach Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Mombasa