We booked the Voyager having read all the reviews on here, and thought it would be the perfect place to be following 7 nights on safari. All we really wanted was a week of peace and relaxation to finish our honeymoon.
We arrived in the evening, were led through the restaurant and were a bit concerned when we saw ballroom dancing as the entertainment, but stayed open minded. Taken to our room, and were pleased to have an upgrade with wine (so bad it made my husband sick after one glass) and fruit, a bit worried that we were just behind the restaurant.
In all the week was standard - the pools were beautiful, but got lots of hassle (even told that rich English people have so much money they could book trips straight away), food was random - some nights great some terrible, service was also very random - some staff were giving us Swahili lessons, others were incredibly rude.
The real problem started a few nights in, when we were woken at 8am by sawing and hammering noises - they were building a stage at the back of our room. Sound-checking started at midday, and turns out there was a gala dinner on. That night there were no staff, no drinks with dinner, and most of the food holders were empty. The bands and shows lasted til midnight - when we complained we were told just to watch their entertainment instead (sadly, there was only so much 'Masai' dancing to rave music we could cope with).
It was a disappointing ending to our honeymoon, a nice and clean hotel, but had the feel of a giant Butlins camp, not helped by the fact that we were about the youngest people there (both 27). A word of coution would be to be very careful about the food and drink, I contracted Shigella while at the Voyager (definately not on safari) and am still suffering 3 weeks on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moored seven kilometres north of Mombasa city centre, Voyager Beach Resort's convenient 'berth' gives guests easy access to a huge variety of historical, sporting and cultural attractions. The vibrant themed resort is famous for hosting some of Africa's finest family entertainments and animation programs, including unique themed journeys across the seven seas, culinary extravaganzas, with very supervised kids' activities and days out with Africa's best-known and most experienced childrens' safari club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Voyager Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Voyager Beach Hotel Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Kenya
- Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa
- Voyager Beach Resort Kenya
- Voyager Beach Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Mombasa