“Customer Service Superb.”

Voyager Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 60 Hotels in Mombasa
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We travelled on 10th March on the Dreamliner from Gatwick to Mombasa for a 2 week stay. It does not live up to the hype. I would recommend extra leg room seats as the premier cabin is over priced. The flight was ok apart from the lack of slimline tonic which meant I was unable to enjoy my usual g & t. Staff said there was no call for it, but I can't believe I'm the only person disappointed by this change.

We arrived early on 11th March and after the usual formalities found our private taxi transfer to the resort. Check in went smoothly, we were greeted with a cold flannel and mango juice, very welcome in the heat. Our rooms were overlooking the beach and infinity pool, a quieter area of the resort. The room was of a good standard, very clean with an en suite shower, fridge & tv etc. Room 5104.

We had a lovely time as the hotel was not full. No problem finding sunbeds/parasols, getting a table for dinner or waiting for bar service. Again there were no diet sodas other than cola. Staff tried their best for several days but nothing else is available in Kenya. I was very grateful for their efforts, especially Daisy and Samuel who kept me updated on progress regularly. It did limit my options however.
The food was varied and plentiful with many options to choose from. The Italian a la carte was great too and we visited several times.
The gardener presented me with fresh flowers every day and made me a hat from palm fronds too. I celebrated my birthday on 17th March and when we went to our room to change for dinner the doorway had been decorated and flowers decorated the bed, a lovely touch.
The hotel is themed like a cruise ship and we dined at the captain's table on my birthday. The food was delicious. My chair had been decorated with flowers and balloons and I also had a birthday cake made for me.
Evening entertainment was mainly dance acts by the animation team but there was a band, acrobats and traditional acts sometimes too.
We did an overnight safari to Tsavo East and West and Taita Hills. Very enjoyable. We stayed at Saltlick Lodge which was very good indeed.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Voyager immensely and would go back if we return to Kenya. The friendly, efficient staff and management make this a very special place.
I must thank Brenda and Andedson on the A-team for the Swahili lessons. Asante sana, kwaheri!

Room Tip: Block 5 is good if you want peace and quiet at night but there are steps to negotiate to get to the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bev E
Manager_VBR, Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Guest.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen Voyager Beach resort as your preferred hotel during your recent holiday and having spared time to share your memorable experience in this forum.

We have taken note that you had a fantastic experience and the entire team is excited to have been part of this experience. My colleagues mentioned on your review are humbled to have been part of your memorable experience and have just been nominated for our employee of the month a ward scheme.

Your reviews are very important to us and we do appreciate your support.

We look forward to hosting you in future.

Yusuf Olela

Write a ReviewReviews (3,073)

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Got back from a lovely 2week holiday at the voyager. Staff made you feel very welcome. This is our second time there and would highly recommend it to anyone. I think my only 2 complaints are getting pestered on the beach and as I'm a non smoker people smoking in non smoking areas around the bars. But on the whole can't fault it. So all I'll say now thanks voyager and everyone who made our stay very enjoyable. And one day hope to return

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank June H
Manager_VBR, Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Guest.

I want to thank you for sharing your brilliant holiday experience during your recent Holiday at Voyager Beach resort and most importantly having chosen our resort as your preferred hotel for a second time.

We have taken note of your unpleasant experience with the beach sellers. The stakeholder have undertaken a beach management program which will see regulation and re-organization of the beach sellers. This will give room for our esteemed guest to enjoy their holiday at the beach. This will indeed enhance the experience and we do hope that in your next visit this initiative shall have been implemented.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Voyager Beach Resort is a very good hotel, with a lot o entertainment options. It is a huge facility with many pools and beautiful gardens. The rooms has an outdated décor, but they are clean, with good size and beautiful view to the beach. The all inclusive package is a good options and the meals are very good with lot of options during all day. There is a sea food restaurant under a cave that is not included in the package but it is worthwhile to visit due to the quality of the food. Free Wi-Fi is available in the rooms and all the hotel premises.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Eduardo T
Manager_VBR, Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Guest.

Many thanks for taking your time to share you great experience in this forum and most importantly having chosen Voyager Beach Resort as you preferred resort during your recent stay.

We are grateful that you had a fantastic experience and enjoyed our value add of free WiFi. We also offer safes free and the WIFI is available everywhere within the hotel and this has really enhance the services we offer to our guests. We have also taken note of areas that requires improvement and those will be advise within certain timelines, we do appreciate your feedback on this.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We arrived tired from safari and both I and my mother were ill, too a friendly sympathetic staff, the staff did everything to accommodate my mother who has a long term serious illness.

the food has been great and and the service impeccable, after almost two weeks can only find constructive criticism in a few small areas, nothing at all which we felt the need to complain about, The constant desire of the resort for feedback is encouraging, and a little annoying sometimes, but compensated for by the the feeling that the hotel has a desire to increase the customer experience in any areas that they can, I noticed that some of the things I fed back about had already been implemented, within 48 hr.

For us it wasn't a cheap holiday, as with the best rooms and all inclusive, I feel that a review should be truthful and to the point, iv tried to cover negative and positive,

can they improve, I say that some areas could be fine tuned, but some of my feedbacks due to to the extreme heat might not be practical, or possible.

We were made to feel welcome, pampered, though felt a bit strange to us initially, like our British humour is strange to the Kenyan.

THE CAPTAINS TABLE

If you should get this invite,during your stay, definitely go it was the best dining experience of our stay, u will be plied with the best food, nice wine in a perfect setting, hosted by the Captain (Margaret the customer relations officer) usually a few couples, You will be probed for your honest feedback in a friendly non intrusive way, everybody stayed until late with normal dinner style conversation until the wine took its toll.

Smugglers Cove Restaurant

We decided to try this sheepishly at first, we all ordered lobster you have to pay 50 per cent if on all inclusive, 4 lobsters with all the trimmings for 10 English pounds each we worked out. Amazing well done to the Voyager.....Open a restaurant in Wales

We did find the food quality in the main restaurant where mostly on all inclusive we ate, extremely good, the love the chefs put into cooking things while u wait, a good selection of things to try mostly buffet style meals, with chefs watching lovingly over there dishes while guests serve themselves.

overall we gave 5 stars taking into account any things that we think can be improved on.

Room Tip: the beach view in their luxury rooms the sea is so close
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest.

Allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for your refreshing and candid account of your experience during you holiday at Voyager Beach Resorts.

We are glad that you had a good experience and we do hope that you will be paying us a visit in the new future.

I have shared you review with my colleagues and they are happy to know that they were part of this memorable experience.

We want to thank you sparing time to share your experience in this forum and we look forward to your continued support.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Beautiful place but terrible service. More than 1 ½ hours waiting for our room in spite of reservation and lack of other customers. Waiting that long when you arrive at 2:00 AM is not pleasant. Then, problems with the a/c and phone. At check out time, we were charged for lunch in spite of three people (including the night manager) assuring us lunch was included. Day time manager totally inflexible.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Irene A
Manager_VBR, Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear Guest.

I would like to thank you for having chosen Voyager Beach resort during your recent stay.

I have gone through the review and i was able to establish the details of what happened and some of the specifics i will respond through your email provided to conform to Trip advisor review guidelines however allow me to give a general response as follows:

The alleged delay was caused due to the fact that your booking was not in the system because there was no booking prior, the process of checking a walk-in guests do takes slightly longer to do upfront payment requirements with the cashier and document verification but should not take more than 10minutes, i am aware the also did not like the first room allocated hence you were moved to another room, this is essence created a delay and bearing in minds that you arrived late at night this must have indeed inconvenienced you and we do regret the inconvenienced caused.

On lunch bill, you had requested initially a half board package which in essence for the time you checked in, the night manager indicated to you that this covers your lunch because you had missed dinner on the first night. But you later insisted that you wanted to pay the same package as your friend/colleague who had prior booking on bed and breakfast, hence your booking was charted as bed and breakfast and therefore,lunch being part of the package did not arose and this was duly explained to by the duty officer but may be not clearly explained when the changes were made as per your request. The duty officer later amended your package to half board after you raised the compliant on your day of check out making you,only pay a half board supplement as opposed to full lunch payment and extended a free day room a demonstration of goodwill and flexibility in his side.

We do regret the inconvenienced caused and the miscommunication in regard to your charges as a standard we ran a professional operations with lots of flexibility to ensure that all our guest enjoy one of the best services during their holiday.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a great holiday at The Voyager Beach Resort. The hotel is home from home and the staff are really happy and friendly. The food was excellent and always well prepared. The setting is lovely overlooking The Indian Ocean and our room had a sea view. The ambience around the hotel makes your holiday and the smiles are infectious. I would like to mention Margaret who served us round the quiet pool. She is polite, Friendly and hard working. All the staff go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. I will return sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Try and get a pool or ocean view room as it is worth the extra.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank amber190
Manager_VBR, Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Guest.

I would like to thank you for your support and having chosen Voyager Beach Resorts during your recent holiday and most importantly having created time to share your great holiday experience in this forum.

We are happy to know that you had a fantastic stay and we look forward to be part of your memorable experience in your next visit.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We checked in to the hotel but didn't like what our travel agent had booked for us. After an upgrade, we ended up with a garden view room that was to our liking.
The food is good! The variety and quality was great. They also had options for our infant daughter and son too. The fresh fruit table was a hit with a constant queue as the fruit was served fresh, peeled right there. The all inclusive is lacking in form of drinks as most of them were local drinks. If you're into high end drinks, go for the full board.
There were a myriad of activities with the A team. Kids activities were plentiful too.
Overall a good stay

Room Tip: Room 1204 is big and ideal for a family
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank angienai

Dear Guest.

I would like to appreciate your positive feedback that you have shared in this forum in regard to your holiday experience during your recent stay at Voyager Beach Resort.

We have take note of your concern with drinks varieties. We do have the widest varieties of drinks when it comes to all inclusive beverage package within the market. But this does not cover premium whiskey, brandies and wine. We do encourage those who prefers to have a drink of their choices not within the selected all inclusive drinks to book half board packages as this will allow you to enjoy your preferred drinks and pay for it separately.

We want to thank you for having chosen our resort and we do look forward to your next visit.