“Great Service with a Smile”

Voyager Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great Service with a Smile”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights the first week of September between a visit to friends in Uganda and a 5 night safari (read my review of JT Julius Safari). We picked it after reading about in on TripAdvisor. We could have gotten the $134 rate for a garden view room, but splurged for the superior ocean view room (still less than $200) with full all-inclusive. You can also just pick 1/2 board (meaning just breakfast).
We had arranged for the Voyager to provide airport shuttle ($25US) and he was waiting at the gate holding a placard with our name. It was about a 30 min ride. We were met at reception with a cold drink and a refreshing cloth and then directed, not to the counter, but to a couch, where we were checked in. It was very nice.
We were given a brief intro to the property and a blue plastic wrist band to show all-inclusive. Since I didn't want to wear it, they let me just put it on the room key and said it wouldn't be a problem if I had the key or was with my husband who didn't mind wearing it. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained.
Our room was 4214 and had the most fantastic view of the ocean and the infinity pool. It was a little dated, but for the price, it had every thing that we needed. See photos. It was clean and if we needed anything, they were more than happy to get it. After the first night, someone asked how our night was and I made the off-hand comment that the bed was a little harder than I was use to, but we really liked the view. When we went back to the room, they had changed out the mattress for a softer one! There was an in-room safe which we used. There seemed to be a lot of rooms being updated and worked on. Any room in the 4000 building has a great ocean view. Second and third floor are the best for balcony privacy, however.
The food was served buffet style unless you went to the Italian Restaurant where you had a menu. Tatu was a great server, so nice and efficient. She found out it was our anniversary and they fixed us a special dessert. The buffet always had a wide range of choices with lots of stations. Breakfast had all the regular options with an omelet/egg station and a pancake/waffle station (Naomi was so nice there). Dinner usually had a pasta station and some type of meat/carving station. If you didn't find anything to tempt you, there was always the poolside cafe where you ordered off a menu. There my husband loved the hamburger and fries and I loved the chicken salad with toasted cashews. Henry was a friendly waiter and everyone tried to get you whatever you needed or wanted.
The pools (three different types) were all very very clean, which I am very particular about. Kennedy, the pool attendant, was great about getting you the loungers arranged as you needed and then remembered the next day. Ester was very efficient and friendly as a pool beverage attendant.
My husband scuba dives, but forgot his Padi card. No problem. The guys at the water sports had us fax a copy of it to them. They were so great. There were so many activities there. The beach was white sand. At first I was worried about the sea weed, but it left with the tide. The craft sellers on the beach were very aggressive. Sometimes it took us getting pretty mean sounding to make them realize we were not interested, a simple no thank you, was not enough. Had we been on the beach more, I would have talked to the Voyager staff to intervene.
We had a nice relaxing time at the Voyager and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for this awesome review. It is true we had a very special a Padi center in the Unit and this is a very special addition to our offer.
It is also very True that the Staff make the place and your they serve you with a Smile. I am so glad this was your experience. We cant wait to host you again soon
Kind Regards,
The Voyager Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was in Voyager for the second time and what i can say is that they retained what was good, and greatly improved on what was missing or needed improvement. I do not know how hotels are rated but whoever gave it a 3 star rating did a poor job as it has very little difference if any with the 5 star hotels on the same coast.
The staff are probably the friendliest I have ever met in any hotel and they actually seem to enjoy their job, which is a good thing. The food is fresh and vegetables are prepared for you as you wait, which means you get them fresh. As for those with kids, I gathered the hotel has a program that keeps them busy all day if you are on an all inclusive package and so no need for a nanny. For value, you really get it and unless Christ comes soon, be sure I will be back to Voyager many times. To the team there, you make the hotel a voyage one wants to take many times in life. Be blessed.

Room Tip: All rooms are great and have easy access to the beach. There is no much difference between sea and g...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex N
Ahoy Guest,
This is the kind of comment i add nothing too. I receive it as is and thank you for giving us this big major endorsement
We are so glad you made it Voyager and hope to host you again in the near future.
We remain
The Voyager Crew
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is well over my 20th city across Africa this year & as I travel for business, I look for high standards when it comes to accomodation. Arriving in Mombasa I was swept off my feet by it's beauty, potential & weather & Having booked here on a whim, I wasn't sure what to expect. I can confidently say I was as blown away by the standard & value for money of this resort as I was with Mombasa.

Very Impressed

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Moorzinio
Dear Guest,
We are glad you were happy with your visit
Kind regards,
The Voyager Team.
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My family and I had a wonderful experience at the Voyager hotel, we got to the hotel at 0830hrs due to an early flight , we were met by a extremely hospital staff by the name of Joshua , ushered to our rooms before check in time after consultation as well as a splendid early breakfast.
The kids club was a well deserved bonus as the well trained kids entertainment troop made a real treat for our two kids from early morning till late in the evening, kids loved it and looked forward to the next day.
The entire staff team were ready at hand to offer advise if needed as well as creating a homely environment with tee a tee if engaged. The hospitality was excellent in all the areas visited within the resort.
The rooms had a rustic feel, slightly dated but outdoors compensated for any shortcomings.
Meals great , service great, evening entertainment great, entire experience great.
Can't be more thankful to the entire Voyager crew
We will be back!!

Room Tip: we loved our garden view double family room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 794Rob
BeutifulKenya64, COO at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. The Kids Club is one of our Pillars and I am glad you felt the same. We look forward to hosting you again soon.
The Voyager Family.
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I were at voyager and I'm sorry to say this, but of all the hotels I've stayed at in Mombasa, this had the lowest standards.
The rooms are extremely old and not well maintained; from the bathroom tiles to the room fittings, everything was dated and aged.
First night there, a room attendant came to turn down our room in our absence, upon returning, we found the bathroom un-cleaned, towels all ruffled up on the floor, no shower gel or shampoo replaced. Dinner service was of low standards, one waitress seemed to be bothered by us when we asked her to re-fill our drinks.
All in all in I found the service at the hotel extremely inconsistent, our first day at the pool, we were served by an extremely pleasant server called Esther, On Sunday however the gentleman who served us seemed so extremely bored and bothered by our requests; I ordered a Virgin Dawa and he pointed out that it would not be included in the ' All Inclusive ' package, when I pointed out that just the day before I had not been charged for the same drink, he laughed and said 'its not possible, because this drink has crushed lemons' . I completely failed to understand that logic but asked him to bring me the drink anyway, when he did bring it, he reconfirmed that what I had told him was true ;the drink was in fact included in the AI package, contrary to his misguided deductions about crushed lemons.
When we later tried to call the waiter to order more drinks, he gestured from all the way across the pool by crossing his forearms, and walked away. We were so unimportant , that he did not even feel the need to walk over and explain that he was done for the day. There is no excuse for this kind of informal or rude behaviour from a staff member, for a paying guest to be treated like this is shameful and shows a lack of common decency.
There was absolutely no Management presence throughout our stay, it was actually quite laugable; the only time I saw management in masses was when they came to eat breakfast in the dining room, and even then they seemed more concerned about they're meals and less concerned about the guests.
Service: Inconsistent.
Food: Lacking in Variety
Accomodation: Old and out of date
Management: No comment
Impressive Employee's: Esther (server at poolside) and Neema ( Animation)
Would we return: No

1 Thank S W
Dear Guest,
I have taken note of your comments. I will investigate why we did not satisfy your needs and will also contact you directly.
We remain grateful you stayed with us.
The Voyager Family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have recently returned from an amazing holiday in Kenya. Our travel agent had suggested The Thorn Tree Safari (as it was our first experience) a four day trip that included game drives and overnight stays in three different lodges. It would be an excellent opportunity to see the culture and wonderful landscape of this part of Africa. We would combine this with a weeks’ holiday in the Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa as a way of relaxing after our holiday.
My sister and I had a fantastic time and were mesmerised with the animals we saw. They were awesome and although we are fans of wildlife programmes nothing could have prepared us for seeing, first-hand, the lions, cheetahs, monkeys, buffaloes and many other animals and birds wandering around the vast terrain.
The company we booked with was Somak who were extremely organised and each transition we made was done extremely efficiently. We felt confident and reassured with our driver James during the four days Safari and completely safe in his care. The Lodges we stayed in were comfortable and the food plentiful. The people who worked in them were friendly and helpful. They were constantly greeting us and made our visit special.
We followed our Safari with a weeks’ holiday in the Voyager Beach Resort in Mombasa which was relaxing and fun. We had a ‘superior garden room’ which was lovely. The dining areas were beautifully situated in gorgeous, well- tended gardens and once again the hospitality was exceptional. Again, the food was plentiful and good.
During the evening there was brilliant entertainment, Kenya style, under an African sky. With palm trees swaying and a warm balmy breeze we were in heaven!
I would like to mention Olivia, who was calm and reassuring on our arrival. Also Maurice, Rosemary Mahomed, Timothy and Daniel who went out of their way to ensure that we had a great time.
Thankyou, for a truly memorable holiday in Kenya, ‘The pride of Africa’.
Eunice and Linda LONDON

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Eunice F
So glad you had a experience by your own words of a Lifetime. We look forward to hosting you again.
The Voyager Team
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at Voyager for a weekend and the experience was just wonderful. From the location to the food to the staff; all was great. The meals were awesome; the sea-facing rooms were just the best. The staff were very good to us - even organized a surprise dinner by the beach to celebrate our engagement!!
Thanks to everyone at Voyager. You guys are the best.

Room Tip: Sea-facing rooms on the upper floors give a great view. and the sound of waves breaking is just grea...
2 Thank werudennis
We are so glad we were of service to you.
The Voyager Family