My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights the first week of September between a visit to friends in Uganda and a 5 night safari (read my review of JT Julius Safari). We picked it after reading about in on TripAdvisor. We could have gotten the $134 rate for a garden view room, but splurged for the superior ocean view room (still less than $200) with full all-inclusive. You can also just pick 1/2 board (meaning just breakfast).
We had arranged for the Voyager to provide airport shuttle ($25US) and he was waiting at the gate holding a placard with our name. It was about a 30 min ride. We were met at reception with a cold drink and a refreshing cloth and then directed, not to the counter, but to a couch, where we were checked in. It was very nice.
We were given a brief intro to the property and a blue plastic wrist band to show all-inclusive. Since I didn't want to wear it, they let me just put it on the room key and said it wouldn't be a problem if I had the key or was with my husband who didn't mind wearing it. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained.
Our room was 4214 and had the most fantastic view of the ocean and the infinity pool. It was a little dated, but for the price, it had every thing that we needed. See photos. It was clean and if we needed anything, they were more than happy to get it. After the first night, someone asked how our night was and I made the off-hand comment that the bed was a little harder than I was use to, but we really liked the view. When we went back to the room, they had changed out the mattress for a softer one! There was an in-room safe which we used. There seemed to be a lot of rooms being updated and worked on. Any room in the 4000 building has a great ocean view. Second and third floor are the best for balcony privacy, however.
The food was served buffet style unless you went to the Italian Restaurant where you had a menu. Tatu was a great server, so nice and efficient. She found out it was our anniversary and they fixed us a special dessert. The buffet always had a wide range of choices with lots of stations. Breakfast had all the regular options with an omelet/egg station and a pancake/waffle station (Naomi was so nice there). Dinner usually had a pasta station and some type of meat/carving station. If you didn't find anything to tempt you, there was always the poolside cafe where you ordered off a menu. There my husband loved the hamburger and fries and I loved the chicken salad with toasted cashews. Henry was a friendly waiter and everyone tried to get you whatever you needed or wanted.
The pools (three different types) were all very very clean, which I am very particular about. Kennedy, the pool attendant, was great about getting you the loungers arranged as you needed and then remembered the next day. Ester was very efficient and friendly as a pool beverage attendant.
My husband scuba dives, but forgot his Padi card. No problem. The guys at the water sports had us fax a copy of it to them. They were so great. There were so many activities there. The beach was white sand. At first I was worried about the sea weed, but it left with the tide. The craft sellers on the beach were very aggressive. Sometimes it took us getting pretty mean sounding to make them realize we were not interested, a simple no thank you, was not enough. Had we been on the beach more, I would have talked to the Voyager staff to intervene.
We had a nice relaxing time at the Voyager and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moored seven kilometres north of Mombasa city centre, Voyager Beach Resort's convenient 'berth' gives guests easy access to a huge variety of historical, sporting and cultural attractions. The vibrant themed resort is famous for hosting some of Africa's finest family entertainments and animation programs, including unique themed journeys across the seven seas, culinary extravaganzas, with very supervised kids' activities and days out with Africa's best-known and most experienced childrens' safari club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Voyager Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Voyager Beach Hotel Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Kenya
- Voyager Beach Resort Mombasa
- Voyager Beach Resort Kenya
- Voyager Beach Mombasa
- Voyager Hotel Mombasa