New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fun Hotel in Mombasa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Had an enjoyable stay at the theme-hotel Voyager in Mombasa. This is a huge hotel complex with 3 pools, large courtyard, decent beach. Lots of hotel-organized activities. Not so romantic but would be a great place for families. A theme hotel in the sense that they simulate a cruise ship, with "destination"-related activities, huge buffet, naval-motivated décor. Choices include full (3 meals) vs half (breakfast and one additional meal) board. Food was decent but not fantastic but overall a very good value. We didn't have any problems with a/c, water, etc. Note that internet access is only in lobby.

Room Tip: Stayed in Sea view room (4302) which had patio with a nice ocean view and breeze.
2 Thank Joshua R
BeutifulKenya64, Chief Operations Officer at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
So glad to host a compatriot from Easy Africa. This is what will make our Economy in the Region Grow. So glad you came.
I notice you thought the place is not Romantic. I suggest it is. What could help is if in your next booking you directly contacted me and we can plan it together.
The Team looks forward to your visiting again soon.
The Voyager Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mtwapa, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

It was a nice weekend for myself. i really cant complain the service in the rooms and restaurant was quick and pleasant. I did love my stay, but one thing i did not like is a lot of noise from the staff especially around the rooms.

Room Tip: I was in room 2316
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Your comments are hereby acknowledged. I note your concern about Noise levels. This will be investigated and corrected. This should a place where you can get a place where you have time to yourself and there are several spots where this happens. Kindly let us know when you are next here so we help you in explorations.
So glad you visited.
Nairobi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Voyager & I'm on the fence in whether i'd willingly go back.

I'm glad i paid extra for a Standard-Plus room. While checking in i was wrongly given a standard room...you can check my pictures for the kind of room "standard" is. My standard plus room was big & airy, overlooking the 'quiet' pool. Generally cleanliness was a bit of an issue. I think my cabin cleaner Evans tried doing a good job but some i preferred to clean some things. Again, see my pictures. I also had to directly call the front desk to replenish some things in my room.

- I had a very good massage at the parlour
- I had alternated my dinners at the Italian & Seafood Restaurant. I think the seafood was the highlight of my trip. Exquisite food & very nice service
- I had good food/service at the Kaskazi bar
- As a lone female traveller, good service from waiter can easily cross to being unwanted attention. One of the waiters at the very lovely bar crossed that line. Maybe that's something he's used to doing but it took the intervention of some male guests to set him straight
-I'd never pay extra for the 'all inclusive'. i paid extra to get quality drinks

I expected more from Voyager. This was my 2nd trip & I wasn't wowed. Since this was a "time alone" trip i chose to ignore some of the things. Sadly Voyager wont be my 1st choice for my next trip

Room Tip: If you can, pay extra for the Standard Plus rooms. It'll be worth it
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Your comments received and appreciated. You will notice that i read all Guest comments and respond to as many as i can.
Kindly note that i have taken note of all you have written. We listen to our Guests and this is what has differentiated us from the Market place.
You will also get a personal note from me on your personal mail.
I am glad you came.
The Chief Operations Officer
Rockville, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Average hotel.No wows..I booked a queen size bed and got 2 twin beds instead.Service in the dining area was below expectation as we literally waited to be seated for almost 30 minutes, after which someone tried to move us to another table despite having us wait that long. Also whatever you do, do not get the all inclusive package, they will not tell you this only includes 2 beer types (keg) and some vodka you have never heard about. May be worth it if you do not drink alcohol or you intend to stay at the hotel all day so as to maximize on the meals provided...Positives - nice infiniti pool , very relaxing bar overlooking the ocean,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying in the Voyager and more important for taking time to write to us on this forum.
I noticed you are from USA a market that we have never managed to attract in big numbers to the Kenya Coast and naturally each and every comment you have made has been deeply assimilated.
Indeed i will be contacting you directly as i would wish to fully understand what can be done to make your next stay special.
The Team here appreciates you.
The Heritage Hotels COO
Nairobi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

All the below reviews are misleading! And I think this is what my visiting family based their choice on. I joined them for a weekend and what a huge disappointment! First of all, only go to this hotel if you have kids and want them to be in the company of other noisy, screaming kids. IF YOU WANT A PEACEFUL HOLIDAY THEN THE VOYAGER IS NOT FOR YOU.

Let's start with a list of the problems shall we?
1) We asked for 2 large cars to pick us up from the airport as they were many of us and lots of luggage. The hotel sent 1 car and we had to negotiate for the other with the sharks at Moi Int Airport Msa who saw our desperation and immediately hiked their price!
2) Check in is at 12 noon. We got to the hotel at 2 pm and were given rooms after 3 pm
3) I signed up for room number 5302, but was eventually given room number 4213. I was told it is the same category! Wrong! I had a chance to see the previous room and it had much better view and it was a much better room. So essentially someone decided to cheat and this is what I cannot forgive. I paid a ridiculously high price for a seafacing room, and should be given my money's worth
4) The room I was allocated had no hot water, the bathroom stank to high heaven, the TV didn't work and eventually when i tried to call maintenance, I realised the phone didn't work either. By the end of my stay only the TV got fixed - the rest of the problems were ignored.

The staff were so not bothered to assist. I asked to see the manager and only managed an audience with him after 6 pm. He told me that they could only change my room (still not to the original room) the next day after the bulk of visitors check out - judging by our experience that probably meant after 3 pm the next day! Since I was leaving very early the day after, this offer was not worth the effort.

And they have such illogical rules. Apparently if you take a tuk-tuk to anywhere from the hotel, you have to alight at the gate as they do not allow them in up to the entrance because of the noise. Really? The noise of the tuk-tuks up to the entrance which is far away from the hotel grounds is a nuisance, but never mind the incessant noise of the kids at every inch of the hotel!

For an extra $4 a day (yes a mere four dollars) I could have stayed at a much better hotel along the Kenyan north coast. If you want a better value for money hotel, contact me - I will give you the advice for free,

Room Tip: The Seafacing Junior Suite are ok, but they are merely large, corner rooms and not suites by any sta...
5 Thank SurajShah
BeutifulKenya64, Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
As you will notice your comments are very different from all the other streaming comments. Clearly something went very wrong and i will ensure i establish what it was and have it corrected.
I am so glad you have shared your experiences. To us it is an opportunity to shine and we shall take it up.
Thank you for staying with us.
The Group Operations Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Sally and Winston.1st June to 6th June:

This was the best holiday experience we've had. The staff was very kind. The food really good. Special mention to David, Millouw, Naomi, Nassim of Mashua restaurant. Tatu of kaskazi bar. Dominic the pool attendant. Nelsen and the whole of the animation team.Vincent the housekeeper. We recommend booking the superior garden view or superior Seaview rooms . They are just superb. We are sure to come back again soon. Best experience ever.

• Stayed June 2013
Ahoy Guest,
Thank you for your post on the TA forum. I have absolutely nothing to add other than appreciate you for making it the Voyager.
Good Day.
COO
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I enjoyed being aboard the Voyager. i was not sure how it would turn out since i had my 3 Year old with me. I was pleasantly surprised as we had a whole lot of fun. The food( good for me and Baby) the Ambience, Staff were friendly and helpful, basically everything about it.

Oh and when i wanted some time to read a book by the pool, the kids adventure club was the available to entertain my son while i relaxed. Keep up the good work !!

I will be back this time for longer!!!

P.S could you fix the toilets?? they dont flush properly
also the shower- the water was directed to the wall!! instead of down really?!! room 1205

Room Tip: the Gadern view rooms on the ground floor are child friendly ( the little ones can ran in and out at...
1 Thank Evelyn S
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing this review and for highly rating the people. I take note on your comments on the TA and will be dealing with shortly.
I am so glad you came.