“There's no "good" to give as a rating...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Voyager Beach Resort

Voyager Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Mombasa
Nairobi
“There's no "good" to give as a rating...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Voyager & I'm on the fence in whether i'd willingly go back.

I'm glad i paid extra for a Standard-Plus room. While checking in i was wrongly given a standard room...you can check my pictures for the kind of room "standard" is. My standard plus room was big & airy, overlooking the 'quiet' pool. Generally cleanliness was a bit of an issue. I think my cabin cleaner Evans tried doing a good job but some i preferred to clean some things. Again, see my pictures. I also had to directly call the front desk to replenish some things in my room.

- I had a very good massage at the parlour
- I had alternated my dinners at the Italian & Seafood Restaurant. I think the seafood was the highlight of my trip. Exquisite food & very nice service
- I had good food/service at the Kaskazi bar
- As a lone female traveller, good service from waiter can easily cross to being unwanted attention. One of the waiters at the very lovely bar crossed that line. Maybe that's something he's used to doing but it took the intervention of some male guests to set him straight
-I'd never pay extra for the 'all inclusive'. i paid extra to get quality drinks

I expected more from Voyager. This was my 2nd trip & I wasn't wowed. Since this was a "time alone" trip i chose to ignore some of the things. Sadly Voyager wont be my 1st choice for my next trip

Room Tip: If you can, pay extra for the Standard Plus rooms. It'll be worth it
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BeutifulKenya64, Chief Operations Officer at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Your comments received and appreciated. You will notice that i read all Guest comments and respond to as many as i can.
Kindly note that i have taken note of all you have written. We listen to our Guests and this is what has differentiated us from the Market place.
You will also get a personal note from me on your personal mail.
I am glad you came.
The Chief Operations Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Rockville, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Average hotel.No wows..I booked a queen size bed and got 2 twin beds instead.Service in the dining area was below expectation as we literally waited to be seated for almost 30 minutes, after which someone tried to move us to another table despite having us wait that long. Also whatever you do, do not get the all inclusive package, they will not tell you this only includes 2 beer types (keg) and some vodka you have never heard about. May be worth it if you do not drink alcohol or you intend to stay at the hotel all day so as to maximize on the meals provided...Positives - nice infiniti pool , very relaxing bar overlooking the ocean,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying in the Voyager and more important for taking time to write to us on this forum.
I noticed you are from USA a market that we have never managed to attract in big numbers to the Kenya Coast and naturally each and every comment you have made has been deeply assimilated.
Indeed i will be contacting you directly as i would wish to fully understand what can be done to make your next stay special.
The Team here appreciates you.
The Heritage Hotels COO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

All the below reviews are misleading! And I think this is what my visiting family based their choice on. I joined them for a weekend and what a huge disappointment! First of all, only go to this hotel if you have kids and want them to be in the company of other noisy, screaming kids. IF YOU WANT A PEACEFUL HOLIDAY THEN THE VOYAGER IS NOT FOR YOU.

Let's start with a list of the problems shall we?
1) We asked for 2 large cars to pick us up from the airport as they were many of us and lots of luggage. The hotel sent 1 car and we had to negotiate for the other with the sharks at Moi Int Airport Msa who saw our desperation and immediately hiked their price!
2) Check in is at 12 noon. We got to the hotel at 2 pm and were given rooms after 3 pm
3) I signed up for room number 5302, but was eventually given room number 4213. I was told it is the same category! Wrong! I had a chance to see the previous room and it had much better view and it was a much better room. So essentially someone decided to cheat and this is what I cannot forgive. I paid a ridiculously high price for a seafacing room, and should be given my money's worth
4) The room I was allocated had no hot water, the bathroom stank to high heaven, the TV didn't work and eventually when i tried to call maintenance, I realised the phone didn't work either. By the end of my stay only the TV got fixed - the rest of the problems were ignored.

The staff were so not bothered to assist. I asked to see the manager and only managed an audience with him after 6 pm. He told me that they could only change my room (still not to the original room) the next day after the bulk of visitors check out - judging by our experience that probably meant after 3 pm the next day! Since I was leaving very early the day after, this offer was not worth the effort.

And they have such illogical rules. Apparently if you take a tuk-tuk to anywhere from the hotel, you have to alight at the gate as they do not allow them in up to the entrance because of the noise. Really? The noise of the tuk-tuks up to the entrance which is far away from the hotel grounds is a nuisance, but never mind the incessant noise of the kids at every inch of the hotel!

For an extra $4 a day (yes a mere four dollars) I could have stayed at a much better hotel along the Kenyan north coast. If you want a better value for money hotel, contact me - I will give you the advice for free,

Room Tip: The Seafacing Junior Suite are ok, but they are merely large, corner rooms and not suites by any sta...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank SurajShah
BeutifulKenya64, Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
As you will notice your comments are very different from all the other streaming comments. Clearly something went very wrong and i will ensure i establish what it was and have it corrected.
I am so glad you have shared your experiences. To us it is an opportunity to shine and we shall take it up.
Thank you for staying with us.
The Group Operations Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Sally and Winston.1st June to 6th June:

This was the best holiday experience we've had. The staff was very kind. The food really good. Special mention to David, Millouw, Naomi, Nassim of Mashua restaurant. Tatu of kaskazi bar. Dominic the pool attendant. Nelsen and the whole of the animation team.Vincent the housekeeper. We recommend booking the superior garden view or superior Seaview rooms . They are just superb. We are sure to come back again soon. Best experience ever.

• Stayed June 2013
Ahoy Guest,
Thank you for your post on the TA forum. I have absolutely nothing to add other than appreciate you for making it the Voyager.
Good Day.
COO
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I enjoyed being aboard the Voyager. i was not sure how it would turn out since i had my 3 Year old with me. I was pleasantly surprised as we had a whole lot of fun. The food( good for me and Baby) the Ambience, Staff were friendly and helpful, basically everything about it.

Oh and when i wanted some time to read a book by the pool, the kids adventure club was the available to entertain my son while i relaxed. Keep up the good work !!

I will be back this time for longer!!!

P.S could you fix the toilets?? they dont flush properly
also the shower- the water was directed to the wall!! instead of down really?!! room 1205

Room Tip: the Gadern view rooms on the ground floor are child friendly ( the little ones can ran in and out at...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Evelyn S
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing this review and for highly rating the people. I take note on your comments on the TA and will be dealing with shortly.
I am so glad you came.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our party was formed of two couples with small babies and my parents in law and having just come back from an amazing stay at the Voyager we can thoroughly recommend it for any age group.

The good bits:
The beautiful beachside location and facilities are excellent. We wanted a break where we could stay on site if we wanted without any need to go elsewhere, although as close as you are to Nyali and Mombasa city it is there if you want it. Between the restaurant, bars, pools and games/entertainments on site you really do get it all on site and the gift shop and book shop are quite well stocked and actually reasonably priced - which surprised me based on other hotel/resort shops I have been in.

Restaurant food is varied, diverse and of generally good quality. Breakfast was always really good with a English/fried breakfast, weetabix/cereals, continental breakfast with croissants and cold meats/cheese and Kenyan staples like mixed tea and mandazis available. You are spoilt for choice and nobody will go hungry for lack of something they like! A few more spicy/curry options might have been welcome but we were told by chef that apparently some of the clientele (presumably not the Brits!) were not keen on too "Indian" a menu. Deserts were usually of a lesser standard, but still not bad and there is always lots of fresh fruit available.

What really added to our stay though, were the really friendly, professional and polite staff there. We were treated like VIPs throughout our stay and all of the Voyager staff made us feel like we were among friends rather than in a hotel. From our welcome on arriving (and farewell) from Kennedy in reception, through the very friendly and attentive restaurant service from David, Cyrus and Joanpaula to name but a few and Khamisi Ali's eye to customer care in the bookshop, Voyager staff made our stay all the better. I really would like the Voyager management to give these guys some kind of recognition for their service as we really appreciated them!

As somebody else said on here - although the Voyager was fully booked during much of our stay we never felt like it was crowded and the generous site it takes up means the resort feels spacious.

The glass-bottom boat trip is well worth doing as this is included in the all-inclusive facilities and you only pay a small fee for National Park entry fees (£10 for non-Kenyans and 300KSH -I think it was- for Kenyans). We got to see all kinds of fish and starfish and walk on the reefs as well as getting some great photos of the local fishermen at work.

The few less good bits:
At times in the restaurant it can take a while for drinks to be served (it seems restaurant staff have to queue at bar for restaurant drinks to be given to them to take to tables).

The shower was rather weak. Rooms are serviced late in the day generally.

Wifi only available in reception and you have to pay which seems quite outdated. Still, with a 200KSH Safaricom simcard from the Nyali Naivas or Nakumatt shopping centre just round the corner and a few hundred KSH credit on your phone you won't need the wifi.

The most frustrating thing (and there were not many) was that if you step on the beach (or even hover on the steps above or stay near the relax pool) and you will get hassled hard by irritating beach hustlers that refuse to go away. (Not unique to Voyager -it's a Mombasa thing). Please Voyager put more "watchies" on the beach to ward off these guys as they were so intense we chose not to use the beach opting for the pools instead.

None of these detracted from an amazing time however - we had a great stay and we will be returning with other UK family members as well as our Kenyan family once again in 2014!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CarlGarrod
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank for this feedback. I am happy to inform you that we have just replaced all the safes and we are on schedule in continuously improving facilities.
I am sure you will see a marked change in your next visit.
Kind regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Thank you to the team of staff at Voyager for making this a pleasant trip, especially Kennedy the pool attendant for ensuring noisey guests were kept away from the relax pool!! And to Francais for his attentive bar service.
The food was lovely, with so much choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
So glad you took time to post your comments on the stay at the Voyager. This is truly appreciated.
Regards,