“Unexpected delight..”

Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
kent
“Unexpected delight..”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I recently went to Mombasa with a group to work for a short while and decided to remain for an extra week of holiday wherever we were to be resident. To my great joy we were booked into the Voyager Beach resort. I had no expectations of the resort before I went and to then find myself in a beautifully landscaped environment full of the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever met was indeed an unexpected delight.

The accommodation was more than adequate and clean, the food was varied, delicious and plentiful, and the evening entertainment great fun.

I had a great stay there and would certainly go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Ahoy Guest,
So glad you had a such a momentous time. We are glad you came.
The Voyager Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Been to Voyager on a number of occasions, it was my first experience with all inclusive back in 2005 and expected it to be canteen style food but how wrong was I. We left the place and went up to Lamu but went back the next week.The food was excellent and still is, rooms are clean but I must say that the beds are on the firm side nowadays, not so good for me. The wine and beer are good and the activities are relaxed. Cocktails not so perfect anymore as someone has decided that everything is not included.

We stayed for 5 days which feels like a good time to stay. Very friendly place with nice activities, really good pools and nice snorkeling excursions.

The ice cream fridge gave up day 2 on our stay but as our kid still is very small it was not a major upset.

Only complaints I have is that when you order water to drink at lunch or dinner it is not cold and as I have said, all drinks are not included anymore, even if it is made on domesticly produced alcohol.

But yes, I will still come back. Voyager is still by far the best all inclusive place I have been to.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ahoy Guest,
Thank you for this kind update and the accolades have come with it. we do appreciate. we have taken note of your comments on cocktails, Water that is not cold and hard Beds.
I am in charge of operations and so this is very important feedback for me.
Rest assured that all these will be looked at.
Kind regards,
Group Operations Manager
Wasike Wasike (FIH)
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at the Voyager for 2 weeks in January and February. Overall the hotel was ok but it did miss that special something to make a holiday extraordinary. Let me start with the nice aspects: the rooms are spacious, the grounds are well maintained, and the food is simple but tasty. There are a lot of employees, is impossible to spend ten minutes without seeing a staff member and usually they are willing to help. The pools are very clean and not so crowded (we liked most the sports pool, by the Kaskazi bar). Also the quiet pool is amazing, but unfortunately people are rude and despite the management asking not to reserve pool beds, at that pool they were all taken for nothing (sometimes there were not more that 4 or five people around, but only towels on the pool beds). We were usually going just for a swim and the very nice view. The beach is also amazing; with the finest sand I have ever seen, just skip the beach boys and go for a swim. We liked to go on the beach at night, just to sit and look at the stars, a security staff member was always around keeping an eye on us (nice touch, feeling safe).
We really appreciated the pasta corner for lunch and dinner, practically if you do not like anything else that was a good escape. Also thanks to Edward (bartender) he was the only one trying to serve your glass with a smile , and I do not recall now the name of the sweet girl making pancakes and sweets all day long, and to Mohamed at Bucanner Divers for the nice snorkeling trips
And now, those things that for us were like some big minuses for this hotel. First of all please be aware of the cashiers, they are always keeping money when you want to exchange euros or dollars into shillings. Ask for the receipt and count your money in front of them- very disappointing. The red wine was almost hot, because they do not cool it at all, I know that the red wine is supposed to be served at room temperature, in fact at cellar temperature, but there were like 33 degrees Celsius outside. Also the white wine was very different, sometimes good, and sometimes very, very bad, depending on your own luck. Also there is not a clear list with what is on the all-inclusive basis and what it is not, at some bars are some cocktails included, at some are different ones, same with the bottled beer. Practically is everything at the hand of the bartender and your tips wallet. If you are not willing to tip for your bottled beer, you better settle for the tap one. Even that we saw people drinking bottled beer, when we asked they were even out, even did not have cold ones. Anyway everybody, specially at the bars are looking for tips (understandable) but also they are treating guests different depending on it (not so understandable, as I used to work in the industry). About the housekeeping department, it is true that they are cleaning the rooms very late and by late I say even at 5 pm, but also they are entering and exiting a room too many times before it is done( we came from the pool one day at about 4 or 5, the room was clean but there were no towels, somebody came with the towels a few minutes later, after like five more minutes came again with some toiletries, and later again with I do not remember what- it is unpleasant to know that people are walking in your room whenever they feel like) Also some housekeeping employees could use some extra water and soap, as sometimes the room was pretty smelly.
For the front desk department I want to say that they are not really oriented to solve the problems or please the guests. During our stay there was my husband birthday and even if they had the passport we did not receive even a greeting card, or just a happy birthday from some employee. Also when we went on our safari we asked for an extra lunch box and this was denied. We tried to explain that we fully paid for our 2 weeks stay, with the all-inclusive basis, and we are leaving the hotel for 3 days, but nobody did bother to check, they just asked to pay for the third one, we did not take it after all. I thing that 2 people staying in the hotel for three days are eating and drinking more than a lunch box. Thanks God we did not asked for some water or coke.
After all I guess we just stayed too long and we got to see all the bad parts, beside that we used to work in a nice resort. But the hotel it is nice, a little old, and in need of some refurbishment, specially the bathrooms . For the ladies travelling, bring a lot of conditioner as the water is salty in the ocean, pools and shower, your hair will thank you for that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simona C
Ahoy,
Thank you for apprising me about your just ended stay. There are many things that require that i take time to pass through and understand why they happened. ideally you should have had a lunchbox without any issue and Voyager has always operated with dynamism allowing Guests to be flexible in what they get.
As soon as i establish why things seem to have gone so wrong with you i will revert.
Please accept my sincere apologies where we got it wrong.
For sure this will be corrected.
Kind regards,
Group Operations Manager.
Wasike Wasike(FIH)
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have just come from a group holiday at the Voyager and i must say the hotel provides great value for every dime spent there. The welcome was fantastic, and even if the rooms were not ready coz of the large numbers we had, the friendly staff ushered us straight to the lunch adventure club for refreshments, and carried our many bags from our bus. Smilarly, two staff members were permanently assigned to our group as there were many children with us, and the wonderful ladies were oh so humble and gracious. Maureen and Sharon.
On the facilities, the rooms were squeaky clean, and the standard rooms, although less costly were well equipped with cable tv, a mini fridge and kept clean. The rooms are also thoroughly cleaned immediately vacated. On the flip side though, the floors felt abit sandy, meaning walking barefoot is not the best idea..The view overlooking the garden is calm, and worth that price. I had a chance to also view the sea view rooms and the view there is spectacular
The sample of the buffet was the best for me, a wide variety of delicious foods, and some chefs were very friendly, especially the one cooking the nuns and chapatis.The waiters, despite the huge demands from all the customers were trying their level best to serve us promptly, and when they were not fast, it was understandably so. The drinks i the all inclusive category are a bit limited, with the cocktails needing to be more lively.
Having a large number of children, the beach can be a daunting task, especially in the evenings, but there were hotel security staff present on the beach, with hardly any presence of any beach boys, this was especially great.
I could go on and on and on, but i wouldn't finish, as i was thoroughly impressed by 98% of what i met there. I therefore intend to return for another visit on the 28th of March and already have my countdown rolling.
Kudos voyager!

Room Tip: I actually need a tip to choose one as well,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jessica G
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Voyager Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Ahoy Guest,
Thanks for giving us a score of 98%. We want the additional 2% so please come back so we can have the opportunity to have this higher grading. So glad you came but more important that you had time to give us such a long and wonderful review. Remain blessed
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have just returned from a fantastic holiday at the Voyager on Nyali Beach, which was also venue to my sisters wedding which was perfect. The staff really helped her...and the rest of the family and ensured that the day went with out a hitch. One thing that let the hotel down slightly was that after 15 hours of travelling, our rooms weren't ready. 2 hours after being told it'd be ready in 10 minutes (by 5 different people) we were finally allowed in our rooms. Other than that it was perfect. Certain staff members went out their way to help and one even arranged a trip to the local childrens home so we could give them some things.Entertainment was fantasic...well done to the "A team" I will defiinitely be returning.

Room Tip: The Sea View rooms are fantastic for those who like a view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank claire s
Ahoy,
Thanks for the good comments. I am concerned you took two hours to get a room. That should only happen when you check in way before 10.00Hrs which is our check out time. the check in time is 12.00Hrs. We then meed at least some time to clean rooms and the kind of delay you are talking about should only be the case if the Unit was fully booked the night before.
Even in such a case we do have contingencies and one should not be told by five people that room will be ready in ten minutes en end
I will check this out with Unit Management and establish what happened.
I am happy thereafter you had a nice stay but will revert once i am clear what transpired.
kind regards,
Group Operations Manager
Kenya
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked to stay at the Voyager Beach in Mombasa for two nights. Peter Kimani greatly assisted me get what I considered a good view room. The next morning I woke up to find the bathroom infested with huge cockroaches and ants crawling all over the toilet seat. Obviously was hard for me to continue my stay and requested to check out early and found a better hotel in South Coast..actually really great hotel (Kole Kole)..

On check out, asked to be refunded for the un utilized night stay and they advised that the central office would handle that in a few days.. That was in October 2012, my emails and calls to follow up remain answered. For a company that is in the hospitality business, this is a great question on your values..

Can someone pls process my couple hundred dollars refund?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank NatureKe
Hi,
I have seen your mail and want to apologize profusely for delay in getting in touch with you. I have asked for all information pertaining to your stay and indeed we should be able to get your Money reimbursed to you.
I will check the complaint on Roaches too as this is the first time i am hearing any guest raise such a complaint.
This Unit is regularly fumigated by SGS and if indeed you had such an experience, then it is most regrettable.
I have contacted you directly and will be in touch till this matter is properly resolved.
Good Day.
San Pedro, CA
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Voyager is one of the best resorts for the money on Nyali Beach. This was my second visit, both stays in a superior room with ocean view. Yes, the rooms could use a little refurb, but they are clean, comfortable and within standards. Food is fantastic! The resort has a cruise theme, "docking" each evening at a different port of call. The evening meal reflects the cuisine of the country of "port". Dinner is always different and consistently scrumptious. Amenities include several adult pools and a children's pool. My favorite one is a wading pool overlooking the beach. There are 3 restaurants and 3 bars. You haven't lived until you watch the moon rise from the Look Out Bar! And there is free entertainment each evening - good entertainment by local bands and singers, Maasai dancers, acrobats, theatrical performances, etc. Well worth the money!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice and quiet, but most are located quite a distance from the reception area...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ahoy Guest,
So glad you had a nice stay. The team here appreciates you.