“Super but wet”

Voyager Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 60 Hotels in Mombasa
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The first two weeks of October 2011 I stayed at the Voyager Beach Resort, Mombasa. Last year, also in October, I already visited the hotel to get rid of a severe thirst.
Voyager is a huge hotel and it takes you a little while to find your way. The rooms are average in size, maybe even a bit small, but as the hotel Voyager holds up the cute fantasy of being a "cruise ship", the size of the 'cabins' is nothing to grumble about. The rooms are well kept and provided with a mosquito net.
About the food nothing negative can be said. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all provide a large variation. You have dishes that return on a daily basis, but as the ship Voyager regularly "docks" in another country, the food provided refers to the visited country.
Service at the bar was fine, though sometimes a bit slow. Especially when the bartenders were in a chatty mood.
As I didn't participate in the animation, I can't say much about the animation team, except that it is a friendly bunch of young people. As it is also this team which on many evenings takes care of the SHOWTIME act, for which they regularly have rehearsals, you can only congratulate the hotel.
For families with kids Voyager is a wonderful place as it has a complete department dedicated to the entertainment of the young.
Voyager also has a souvenir shop, a bookstore and even a small library stuffed by books left by tourists.
If lucky, a friendly face with a lovely grin will help you fighting the last bits of sleep when opening the curtains in the morning. One of the barkeepers told me there were plenty of monkeys around, but not at the time I was there.
Anything negative about Voyager? Some people complain their rooms were not done before 3 or 4 p.m. That is indeed so, but it's not amazing when you know only a limited number of people takes care of the cleaning. It surely is quite a difference with the souvenir shop; sometimes 5 guys were hanging around there.
The only setback was the weather. After only a few sunny days, the rains came. One day it even rained that hard and long that only a few minutes away from the hotel a few hundred families saw their homes flooded. So no reason to complain as a tourist.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Voyager Beach Resort

Reviewed November 9, 2011

had fab time yet again at the voyager .....Want to thank all staff for making us feel most welcome ....animation team fab especially Domanic kelvin maureen joshua and susan infact all of them :) ......if ur lucky enough to get vincent as your cleaner nothing to much trouble he great......the food excellent as is staff had good laugh with nixon the waiter......We even got invite to captains table this year wow that was amazing thank you ....beach boys tonny domanic and kevin very helpful and i loved listening about there way of life .....thank you everyone for brill.holiday ...special thanks to james our independant safari driver ,such good safe driver and knows all ins and outs of kenya and wild life ...I have details if anyone interested in his safaris ...was good to have our own vehicle....Cant wait to return to the voyager counting everyday ...............

Room Tip: garden seaveiw or superior seaveiw deluxe (thats room we had beautiful )
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My 3rd visit to this hotel and still remains a very good hotel, in fact I found the food a lot better this time. They have also bought new seats and tables at the Itailian restaurant and also at the look out bar which is our favorite place to sit in the evening over looking the Indian ocean, in the cool breeze. I love to see our old friends who work there especially Maggie, Joyce, Gideon Sam Bernie and many more. Also I love the pool along side the beach. Wonderful

Room Tip: Over looking the Indian ocean
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kyanalbi
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We went to this Hotel for our honeymoon, it was amazing the was food fab for us as we are both vegis and the selection was the best we have ever had. It also catered for meat eaters as well. Hotel was clean, views wonderful. Rooms big and bed comfy. Went on Safari and it took our breath away it was that good. we were looked after so well. would give hotel and staff 10/10

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I am a bit late writing this review we stayed at the hotel 19th sept - 4th October along with 28 others for our wedding ... An brilliant 2 weeks had by all!!

We had a superior room which over looked the gardens, but also had a view to your right of the look out bar and beautiful Indian ocean!
Room was clean, mozzi net, fridge and tv, kettle and hair dryer. The house keeper called everyday with clean towels, stocked the fridge with water. We tipped him well and he even done our mozzi nets most evenings.

The hotel staff we very friendly and the grounds were kept to a very high standard!

We were lucky enough to be there to get married and what a wonderful job they done... Margaret butali the wedding coordinator was fabulous nothing was too much trouble considering we had 3 days from when we arrived to the big day! They wedding location was stunning they done a great job decorating it and the evening marquee reception we had went down well with our family and friends.
A 5 course feast with choices such as lobster and beef, the presentation was excellent and everyone commented how good the food was!
We got married around 4pm which wasn't too bad really as the weather had cooled - the salon did a fantastic job pampering me on the wedding morning with my hair, pedicure, facial and make up.

We have a 2year old daughter and the animation team were greAt with her.

We did a 1 night 2 day safari with jt safaris (the real one) which was fantastic - he was great and so was the driver we only had to call if we wanted a lift somewhere which we did for haller park and the orphanage ni trouble at all and the driver waited for us to bring us back! Will do a more detailed review of jt separately!

Overall a fantastic two week stay in Kenya @ the voyager and a wedding day that was all I have ever dreamed of! Thank u to all the staff and most of all Margaret for all ur hard work! Can't wait to come bk!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Personally, I could not fault this hotel. I went for two weeks (which was two of the best weeks of my life!) and even though it rained for the majority of the time I was there, I couldn't of wished for a better place to be; the staff are so lovely and even apologised every day for the weather (bless them, it wasn't their fault! Freak weather!) but they'd do their best to ensure you were ok, happy and enjoying your holiday; any problem, they'd have it sorted in minutes! Also, you'd never be thirsty! They're there in seconds once you finish your drink to see if you'd like a top up! Great service! .. The animation team are amazing! They would try their hardest to ensure you had plenty of activities to do no matter what the weather! If you're not an 'activity person', they'd still give you their time by coming to sit with you and having a chat with you. Every single one of them were a pleasure to meet! Always happy and cheerful from morning to night! (considering the very long hours they work!). One of the main thing that amazed me about all the staff at the Voyager is how well they remember your face and name! I'd only been there a few hours and I could walk past a staff member to be greeted with 'Jambo' followed by my name! It confused me at first how they knew but then I realised and was very impressed! .. Food was good but I'm a very fussy eater so ended up eating pretty much the same things; but my family tried all different foods and they seemed very happy with the selection. Italian restaurant was very nice! I even went for something I wouldn't usually go for and was very impressed! .. The three pools are great! A choice for all kinds of people! Whether it's relaxing, swimming or activities; there is a pool for each! The pool attendants are very quick and always there to help! (if your nice enough, they'll save you the best sunbeds but shh!) and also the staff who serve the drinks are a big help as the infinity pool and fun pool are quite far from the bars but they do have a water machines there to keep you topped up if needed! .. The beach is a challenge but if you give the beach boys a chance, you'll see that they're actually lovely people and are just trying to make a living like we all do! They just have to do it the hard way! So don't be rude, if you don't want to buy, just tell them nicely and continue your walk to the beach; plus, the security were always there if you feel intimidated by anyone (as some people do!) but they really are lovely people. Overall, I'd give this hotel a A* .. A lot of people complain about the rooms being very dated but all I ever done was shower, sleep and change in my room then spent the whole time around the hotel; who goes on holiday to sit in a room all day?! You can do that at home! But it's heard that the hotel is being re-done throughout the next few years so that should make a lot of people happy! I will definitely be returning to the Voyager! Hopefully to be greeted with sunshine this time! But if not, it will still be just as amazing as this time if not better! .. Big thank you to all the staff and I can't wait to see you all again! You make a holiday at the voyager, a life time memory! Every second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day!

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank VoyagerLover
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Before going to Kenya I expected to come back to England frazzled and burnt to a crisp but I didn't because it was cloudy most days. Although it was still very hot and there was sunshine at midday. We also had a few thunderstorms!
The staff at The Voyager were excellent. They were friendly, chatty and always there to help. We got invited to the welcome party where we were offered cocktails (I unfortunately had to stick to the non alcoholic version since I am underage!) and we spoke to the staff; the head chef was especially talkative and very funny.
For the first three nights we stayed in the normal rooms which were basic but clean. Then after our safari we upgraded to the superior room which was considerably better. We had our own individual mosquito nets instead of sharing, we had tea and coffee supplies, there was a t.v, the bathroom was higher quality and the room was generally better.
We had no trouble getting sun beds on a morning. I would recommend the aqua aerobics on a morning, it's very fun!
The restaurant had different themed food nights each night with lots of variety to choose from. I tried crocodile - like a spicy version of chicken and a bit tougher.
The only thing I didn't particularly like about the destination was the beach. It's not private so a lot of locals gather there and try to sell you things. So, no one really stayed on the beach unless it was to try the waterspouts (which were good!) but if you tell them to go away once, they will usually leave you alone. My sister and I went on a camel ride on the beach which was quite enjoyable.

Room Tip: We went on a safari 3 days into the holiday. We started off in normal rooms and after the safari we...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family