“Worst hotel ever!! stay away!!”

Bamburi Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Mombasa
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Over the past years we've stayed in many hotels but this was the worst ever!
to much noise from the bar next door! windows are trembling and you feel like you are in a discotheque. no real solution are offered and communication is no where to be found!The general manager (Hassan) lies to you when you make complains. According to the staff, the noise from next door used to be there everyday but according to the general managment, it's the first time he heard about this. We were offered another room to the other side of the building at midnight.Nobody helped us with our luggage and as a result my laptop got crushed during this moving event. Rooms are outdated! and during our stay we had ants in the room for 5 days and we wern't eating or drinking in our room! The normal staff ( under payed Africans, that have to work a 12 hour shift, don't get anything to eat or something to drink for a whole day, but they are doing there best to give you a good experience, but they can't do anything to change management. They are only after winning a lot of money without any improvements for the guest or the health of their staff! WiFi will cost you 2€ for half an hour and is not available in the room. The only good thing I can say is that the food is nice and they do try to give an vegetarian option witch is nice but common in Kenya!.Breakfast is awefull. Stay away if you can!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the other side from the noisy location next door or you won't sleep be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lobbielicious
Bamburi Beach H... M, General Manager at Bamburi Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear sir,
I have seen and read through your comment on your recent stay in this hotel in the trip adviser and the following is my my response and comments.

First and foremost I wish to convey my sincere apology that you somehow did not enjoy your holiday with us.
Further , you are very right to say that the disco music from the neighborling restaurant
is excessively loud. The owner is allowed to operate an open disco on Saturdays only and indeed
the music totally disturbs our guests occupying rooms near that disco place. We are in serious
discussion with the owner and I believe we shall resolve the matter very soon. Once again my sincere apologies that there was nobody from our staff who came to assist you to carry the luggage during the transfer
If any of our staff told you that he works for 12 hours and without food, then he/she told you a lie. Labor laws in this country requires that staff work for 8 hours and within the hotel industry
staff are provided with food in their staff canteen.

You may appreciate that every hotel do some few things different from the others. WIFI in our hotel is not part of the All Inclusive package. I believe you had information from your tour agent
and you were under no obligation to use it. However, we are seriously looking into this among other areas, and hopefully we shall in the near future offer it within the AI package
May I say that I am happy to note that you enjoyed our food, the hearty welcome and the hospitality of our staff.

In conclusion,may I once more thank you fore your comments and assure you that we shall en devour to to improve our services to make this hotel a better place for our esteemed
guests.

Can I kindly request you to try us again if a chance arises.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

we stayed at bamburi beach hotel in january for 14 nights, we have been there many times, it gets better and better, the all inclusive food and drink is fantastic, the staff ,waiters, barpeople, reception and managers will do any thing you ask for, unfortuneately firstchoice/thomson have stopped using the hotel thru greed,thomson has got to big for their boots, you can still book wit the hotel direct or thru somak,cosmos, and a few other travel company as we still need to support the hotel as many people love the hotel and want to return, and we shall return also in the near future as the location is so convienient for everywhere.

Room Tip: anyroom , you only sleep and shower in there
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank olivia m
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Being the second time visit ,still it was amazing with the outstanding experience being treated as kings n queens by all the staffs.3 days visit was just but great time being there .Thanks to Juliana n lucky representing hotel in the reception in professional way with the friendly and pleasant smile. Mr Hassan team lead by Mercy,mary ,Phyllis, "florence & mary" (thanks ladies for great service along the pool) nahara best lady in the amazing seafood restaurant for your recommendation, not forgetting best barmen along the poolbar Tom & the short barman its was great .David thank you and keep up your good housekeeping job for sure u made the room looks fresh each n every time u clean it. Thank you all. Animation team keep up the great job, schedule and activities.To management improve on salty water in the room it spoils the experience when having a shower with tiny soap kindly improve Gabriel k.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabriel K
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The property is old but has beautiful campus and a view. The rooms are basic and dates back to 80s with latches and lights. The bathrooms have salt water supply and taking bath is a pain. The management serves the whites and gives a feeling that the hotel is for them only and the others are just tolerated. Could not believe that we had to pay for half an hour of internet access. The black staff are rude to browns but very polite to whites. Sorry for the racist comment but I felt victimised. My companion was asked to go and change his lowers for dinner and even when he did it was pointed out to be not the correct one. Disgusting!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Aliviabiswas
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We went here for my 50th birthday. It was an amazing time, by we I mean my wife my son and daughter and myself. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We booked a safari at the hotel which was truly breath taking. My son and I also did several scuba diving trips, these were amongst the best dives we have ever done and the variety of wildlife was spectacular.

Room Tip: Chose a garden room close to the pool, perimeter room balconies are often visited by monkeys.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed January 10, 2014

For best value for our money and its the best and we enjoyed beach front hotel with large swimming pool and the best meals. Location of hotel was excellent with easy transport to shopping and tour of Mombasa. Highly recommended beach hotel with beautiful nightly shows.

Room Tip: Be prepared for hot weather & warm ocean
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank shirazmohamed
Reviewed January 8, 2014

"First of all I'd like to state that this is only the second AI hotel I've stayed in so I don't have a lot to compare too, and the first was absolutely amazing.
Rooms - the room was fine, fairly basic but clean and well kept. The air con wasn't working when we arrived but was fixed same day - they did something to it again 2 days later which broke it again, but fixed same day again. My only real issue was the shower. This was solar powered and there was a notice saying the best chance of hot water was the middle of the day; however, this is generally not convenient if you are out for day or in the sea lots etc. In the 2 weeks we were there I only had one warm shower, every other time it was freezing. Also, we had to pay extra to use the safe which I thought was rather cheeky as obviously you are going to need this for passports etc.
Facilities - everywhere was nice and clean and tidy. The pool was big and rarely busy. However, it was one of those places where you need to get up really early and put a towel out to get a sunbed (despite signs stating to the contrary). There was also a distinct lack of shade. None of the sunbeds offered shade all day and there were no other places really to sit and get out of the sun unless you went inside. A general word of advice we would give is to go to a hotel with a private beach - on the public beach (such as here) you are constantly hassled by the beach boys trying to sell goods and excursions which means it isn't much fun to be on the beach which is a shame when it is so lovely and warm.
Food - I was pleasantly suprised by the food. I wasn't expecting much from the whole buffet style idea (never having done this before) but the evening food was plentiful and of good quality. I was particularly happy with the vegetarian selection, there being protein sources like lentils and beans every night rather than just veg. The breakfasts were also lovely, with pancakes and omlettes made to order. Lunch I wasn't so sure about as it was largely the same as dinner and could have got a bit repetitive but we didn't have lunch there very often.
AI - this is where I felt the hotel really let itself down. You were given 2 bottles of water in your room per day, plus a refilled jug. If you wanted any more than this you had to pay. I didn't think that was a lot to keep you going from dinner time to breakfast considering the heat. With bar drinks the sizes for soft drinks and water were really small, you only got a few mouthfuls out of each one. Again, when it is so hot I think they should be more generous with the water. If you weren't AI and were paying for drinks you got much bigger ones. In terms of alcoholic drinks again it wasn't really 'all' inclusive. There were only a handful of cocktails included (none nice), but plenty you could pay for - and this wasn't due to it being international brand spirits. I tried vodka and mixer but due to the small glass size I found it too strong to drink. So, all-in-all I thought it would be more accurately described as 'mostly inclusive' than 'all inclusive'"

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple