“Disappointing room. Have had better rooms before” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bamburi Beach Hotel

Bamburi Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Mombasa
Nairobi, Kenya
“Disappointing room. Have had better rooms before”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our third time at Bamburi Beach Hotel after a very long time (over five years). Previous visits we were dating this time we are married with a three and half year old son. From our previous pleasant experiences we though there was no point in trying a new place since we already new Bamburi was great. Booked for the Easter weekend two weeks in advance and were excited to show Mommbasa to our son.
Sadly on arrival we were given a room at an awkward ground floor location. The room looked and felt smaller than others we have used before. The furniture and fittings looked and felt old; stained chairs creaky mattresses...... The pillows were just dirty! Especially the one meant for my son which made me wonder about the linen. There was no fridge on the first night and we had to keep my son's medication in the main bar's fridge.

We asked for a differnt room next morning and after some promises we were told there were none. I actually thought we booked early enough to be allocated a better room. The pillows were replaced eventually, the fridge was also brought but they changed my sons bedcover with a dirtirer one and i had to complain again!

Generally other services were okay in the restaurant, the pool etc. Reservations and the room service people have to pull up their socks. Next time we are coming to the Coast might consider going back for old times sake but we shall not also consider other hotels.

Flo

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor. Rooms on the left to the entrance are quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FloW318
Bamburi Beach H... M, Manager at Bamburi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Esteemed client,

First and foremost I wish to thank you for your continuous support by spending your holiday with us for a couple of times. Further, may I take this chance to apologize to you and your family for the problems you encountered during your Easter Holidays with us. I have inded investigated your complaint and I am also not satisfied with the reasons that I was given. change of your room may have been a bit difficult because we were at our full capacity but I feel due consideration should have been made right at the time of your booking particularly being our repeat guest. We have in the meantime acquired our own new laundry unlike the past when we were using an outside laundry. I have no doubt our linen will be better washed. As of now may I thank you for your comment which I believe will go along way to help us improve our services. May I also request you to try us again and I have no doubt that your stay will be much better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

We returned home yesterday after 2 weeks at this hotel. Before we went we were shocked by comments on Trip Advisor but we were worried for nothing and had a fabulous holiday.

Yes the hotel is a little tired and in need of updating but it is clean and we had fresh sheets and towels on a daily basis. The food is great and compares to or is better than other AI hotels we've been to and quite honestly we had a hard time trying to NOT pig out at meal times. Drinks are not watered down although on a couple of days the beer didn’t taste right, this was put right when pointed out to one of the supervisors, both times. I also like the location of this hotel.

(And if you found problems with staff then I think you stayed at another hotel because they couldn’t do enough for us and we never ever tip until we have had service that we feel warrants it).

As for beach boys we had a lot of fun with them, yes they can be a pain but instead of being intimidated, try talking to them, you’d be surprised.

Considering the price we paid we had a great holiday and will return when/if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Trish H
thanks for you valuable comments.
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

There's nothing extraordinary about the place, just average rooms and average food . It is in need of renovation and services can be improved tremendously. Good if you want a cheap place by the beach, do not expect anything great or you will be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Epicureansilver
leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

With nearly twenty years experience of travelling to Kenya I have seen my fair share of Mombasa hotels and beach resorts. Bamburi Beach is in the style of most beach resorts but despite its beach front location and sea views it feels a little cramped. They have tried to pack in so many buildings it lacks the relaxed, expansive feeling of the hotels on the south coast of Mombasa (like DIani Sea Resort) The restaurant overlooks the pool - which also feels small in comparison to south coast hotels- and above that there are high rise buildings. The pool is further hemmed in by accommodation just yards away. The rooms have multi channel television and are a fair size but they feel ready fior a makeover and in need of bringing up to date. The sliding doors and the metal frames feel like they have been around for some time. The bathrooms also have a similar feel. I didnt eat at the hotel but it appeared to have the usual large buffet provided by hotels with everything from a tandoori oven for fresh Indian breads to lots of salads and meats. At sixty pounds for the night (B and B) it was fair value and suitable for aone night stay but I wouldn't want to be there for very long. There is better to be had elsewhere on the south coast of Mombasa. But for people with flights to catch it may be a useful stop over and is about 40 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LeedsCritic
Caterham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Point of view from a 12 year old : Amazing! I came back yesterday so remember it well. It has lots to do, the kids club is really nice. The staff are really friendly like Barney and Mercie. They have interesting entertainment in the evening, I won a beautiful wooden elephant when I put a bet on a crab in the crab race (thank you no.9!). I went on safari and it was amazing I saw LOTS of elephants and zebras. When I came back all the staff were really friendly and said " How was your safari? Welcome back!". My little sister of 8 made friends with a girl there and they were constantly off on the beach making sandcastles at kids club or making Masai jewelry. The only bad thing is that the internet was down, and I would have quite liked to skype my friends and boast to them! The food was tasty! All in all its a clean, friendly and safe place to stay!

Room Tip: Get room 204! It is above the restaurant and you have a beautiful view of the beach and swimming poo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah M
Annemasse, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Unfortunately this hotel has not moved to the new century. It needs some serious renovation and their internet system needs to be changed quickly so as to reflect the general good quality one can find in Kenya. For those who wish to stay at Bamburi beach hotel here are a few facts that may help you make your choice.
There is a tiny fridge in the room but if you want to use it you have to pay. In fact you have to buy any of the drinks it contains to be given the key and the possibility to use the fridge. They had to change ours 3 times before we got one that really worked.
There is a safe in the room but if you want to use it you have also to pay.
Surprisingly, taking the above into consideration, we did not pay for the TV.
You could take a showers(without paying extra) but the shower head was so old and clogged that water was coming out in all directions but your body.
Internet is WIFI. Very good quality. Unfortunately you have to pay for it and the maximum time you can get is one hour which they charge 300 KSH. Cherry on the cake once you connected you have to use the whole hour in one go. We asked for 3 hours. We got 3 vouchers with 3 different pin codes. If you are in the middle of an important activity that requires internet you will be cut once the first hour will have past and you will have to log again with a new password. Conclusion if you need internet for professional or personal reasons go to another hotel. You have however the possibility to go to Yul's, a very nice restaurant with free wifi internet connection. When it comes to internet going from the Bamburi Beach Hotel to Yul's is like going from the 20th to the 21st century.
When you check in they give you a voucher for towels at the swimming pool. You need to give that voucher to get a towel and you need to give the towel back in order to get your voucher back so that you can use it the next day. Very customer-friendly isn't it?
Check out time is 10 AM. We requested a check out at 11AM, to no avail. Were told we would have to pay 50% of the room rate.
This being said and to end with a positive note staff were very nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room next to the Yul's restaurant. You might be able to hook to their WIFI...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patrick B
Halesworth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from 12th January to 9th February. We stayed here last year and at the time of my last review, I said I would not go back. However, people we had met last year and were good company had told us that they were returning and we decided to give the Bamburi Beach another try.

The hotel has deteriorated since our last visit. Broken sunbeds, birddroppings on tables, less staff, less guests, food running out in the buffet and not being replaced, despite it only being 8 p.m. and the buffet continued until 9.30pm. Last year the food was great, but that may have been because the hotel was full with 300 guests. This year only 150 odd guests and therefore the food was not being turned around quick enough. This resulted in a lot of problems with almost everyone we spoke to having "Bamburi Belly" I suffered with this for almost all of the four weeks I was there, resulting in me losing half a stone over the period. Basic hygiene precautions were not taken with hot fish being put on left over warm fish - a breeding place for bacteria. There was also very limited choice of food on the buffet. I spent the last week of my holiday eating toast or dry biscuits with water as I was so terrified of the upset stomach worsening and sometimes I skipped meals entirely in and effort to curb the constant running to the loo. It was indeed a nightmare which became true

The alcohol was defineately watered down, including the beer and you are only allowed one drink at a time. Nothing has changed since last year. No bottled water in the rooms and you are not allowed to fill your own bottle of water to take to your room. £2 for a bottle!!! We took our own Brand labled Vodka and ending up drinking this when we did have a drink, which was not that often as we were both ill.

The hotel has become a german knocking shop and it is more obvious than last year. It is disgusting to see young black men and women with dirty old white men and women. I do not blame the kenyan people. It is easy money for them and is only supply and demand. However, you have to look the other way. What does worry me though is how many children are subjected at the hands of these disgusting Germans.

Our Rep for First Choice did quite a lot to try and sort things out for us and my husband had a meeting with Charles, the manager and certain things were sorted i.e. the disgusting sauce bottle tops were wiped clean, the chairs which had filthy legs were wiped (if only African style) and the birds muck on the tables were not wiped clean with the dish clothes!!!!!!!

I could go on and on about this hotel. The staff are amazing and that is the only good thing! The original owner died just before Christmas and I think that they are running the hotel down. It certainly needs a lot of updating. First Choice have now pulled out of the Bamburi Beach and will not go there from October this year. Too many complaints I suppose, so I am not alone.

In summary,We spent £3,800 for four weeks at the Bamburi Beach Hotel. A total waste of money. In England the Health and Safety Executive would shut it down. Don't go there and if you have booked,get onto First Choice to say you wantto go somewhere else. It really is that bad. £135 per day to spend your holiday on or near a loo and increasing Immodium Plus's profits!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple