“A pizza and a beer... what else is needed?”
Review of Giardino Restaurant - CLOSED

Giardino Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The concept of Giardino Restaurant is to give to the customers a pure Italian Cuisine experience.The high quality of the products, the freshest fish and the home made pasta will transport your senses in an Italian home...The Executive chef Rodolfo, with 25 years experience in the best restaurants in Italy and around the world, offers a menu with attention to detail combining the first quality Kenyan products with the essential imported Italian ingredients.Ask the manager Fabrizio about the specials created and based on the freshest that the market offers daily, he will guide you on what is close to your taste. The decor, a fusion of Kenyan artwork and Italian set-up, and the professional standard of the staff will complete your unique “Italian Contemporary Cuisine” experience!To the travellers around the coast Giardino Restaurant also offers the opportunity to be accomodated in the rooms of the B&B-Guest House with breakfast, swimming-pool and free Wi-Fi facilities in a confortable location close to the beach and several entertainment and natural attractions on the North Coast. Opening hours:Lunch: from 12:00 to 14:30 Dinner: from 19:00 to 22:30 Pizzeria and Cocktail-bar: from 12:00 to 22:30CLOSED ON WEDNESDAY.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Wow... a real treat... One of the things I love to eat our in a restaurant, because its just not possible to prepare at home. Pizza and a beer is my favourite... and at Giardino, the pizzas are just wonderful, crispy to perfection.

2  Thank Rogerweiz

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I visited the restaurant with my sister last week for lunch, and the most outstanding aspect for me was the great hospitality and such a warm welcome by Fabrizio the manager. Fabrizio, your food was great, the pasta and the seafood. I really liked the way you explained the dishes, flawless product knowledge tinged with professionalism. But as much as food can be delicious, one can only go back to a restaurant because of the appreciation they are accorded.

Your restaurant is simple and easy and has a very homely atmosphere, as if we were back home. No rush, no worries. Thank you for the great dining experience, I give you my word that I will be back. And not just for a delicious meal, but for a swim too!

And kudos to Eddah too! I hope that she can continue keeping the smile on her face for other guests too.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went on Valentine's Day, we had asked for a latish table (around 9.30) so it appeared to be almost completely full when we arrived, certainly ever table was occupied. Undersatndably we had a very slight wait while our table was cleared and reset, and a slight delay getting the menu and wine list as we arrived as the constant stream of dishes coming out of the kitchen was reaching its peak. Eleanora, one of the owners apologised for the the delay and explained that they were much busier than a normal night, she also popped by a couple more times during the meal to check that everything was OK., which it was as once we had the wine the rush had peaked and normal service was resumed Her partner Fabrizio also apologised for any delay in service, answered Wor Lass's questions about some of the dishes, explaining that the Prawns marinaded in Ginger and Passion Fruit were marinated rather than cooked and offered to grill some prawns for her as she wasn't comfortable with the idea of the prawns being uncooked. He then explained that the Shellfish cup with cocktail sauce was a actually prawns and lobster. Wor Lass happily settled for that and thoroughly enjoyed it, even eating some of the thin slices of orange that lined the cup in place of the more usual lettuce leaves. Fabrizio also popped back later to check that everything was Ok.

I had the Beef Carpaccio with red capsicum lemon dressing and mustard, and was greeted with a full plate that seemed to be piled high with carpaccio, just as I was thinking it would be too much I discovered that the centre of the plate rather than being piled high with carpaccio was a layer of carpaccio slices on a bed of salad. It was delicious

For the main course we both chose Angus medallions with mushrooms and drizzled with a parmesan sauce dressing, served with sliced sauteed potatoes. I asked for mine rare and Wor Lass asked for well done. They were both cooked to perfection, exactly as we wanted. The quality of the meat was exceptional and the taste was exquisite.

We accompanied the meal with a bottle (and a couple of extra glasses) of Valpolicella, a decent wine at a decent price.

The two dishes I had were exceptional there were as good as any meat dishes I've had I've had anywhere in Mombasa, much better than most, and wouldn't be out of place in some of the smarter restaurants I've eaten in in Europe and North America.

I became aware of Giardino last November and intended to try it then, but for a variety of reasons didn't manage before I went to Europe for a few weeks, I wish I had followed up on it then. I look forward to returning to try other dishes, if they are half as good as the ones I had on Valentine's night I will have a new favourite 'general' restaurant to go with my favourite informal seafood restaurant.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Having passed by nearly everyday as I live in the area I decided to use the Restaurant for a Valentine's Day Surprise.
Wow ! what a surprise. I have probably used most of the Restaurants from Mtwapa to Mombasa and of course have my favourites. This place is now right up there in my top 3.
The place was nearly full being Valentines Day and the service was a little slow but I lost count of the number of times the owner Fabrizio and his lovely "partner" Ella apologised. Having got the only downside out of the way - the good side.
My partner was presented with a red rose and we were given complimentary cocktails, We ordered drinks whist we perused the menu. Fabrizio came and took our order in case we needed any explanations concerning the dishes.
I had Smoked Fish and my partner Prawns marinaded in Ginger and Passion Fruit. Good choices.
For main courses I had Angus Meatloaf served on a bed of mash with a Pea and Tomato sauce - my partner has Fish Fillet served with Black Olives and Celery. Again 2 very good choices.
We declined Desserts as we full up from the plentiful portions of the Starters and Main Courses.
The Bill was in keeping with the quality and quantity of the food. I do not mind paying for good food and service and that is what I received here.
They even stock my favourite wine - Blue Prosecco.
Will certainly be back in the very near future.
Well done to Fabrizio, Ella and all the staff, particularly the Chef.
Than you for a great night.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent most of my evenings in this fantastic place during my holidays in Bamburi Beach.
The atmosphere is magic with a touch of italian glamour, the staff very attentive and Fabrizio, the owner, is an amazing host that takes care of all the details, he is passionate about food and music as well so you can enjoy live jazz music twice a week. The food is a sicilian fusion very original and tasty, full of variety and colours and the pizza is yummi with a lot of choices. They also rent lovely rooms and the pool area is relaxing and green, perfect for a drink and a splash, away from the crowd of the beach. I recommend this place if you want to have an unforgettable dining experience.