“Excellent Food Great Atmosphere”
Review of Giardino Restaurant - CLOSED

Giardino Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The concept of Giardino Restaurant is to give to the customers a pure Italian Cuisine experience.The high quality of the products, the freshest fish and the home made pasta will transport your senses in an Italian home...The Executive chef Rodolfo, with 25 years experience in the best restaurants in Italy and around the world, offers a menu with attention to detail combining the first quality Kenyan products with the essential imported Italian ingredients.Ask the manager Fabrizio about the specials created and based on the freshest that the market offers daily, he will guide you on what is close to your taste. The decor, a fusion of Kenyan artwork and Italian set-up, and the professional standard of the staff will complete your unique “Italian Contemporary Cuisine” experience!To the travellers around the coast Giardino Restaurant also offers the opportunity to be accomodated in the rooms of the B&B-Guest House with breakfast, swimming-pool and free Wi-Fi facilities in a confortable location close to the beach and several entertainment and natural attractions on the North Coast. Opening hours:Lunch: from 12:00 to 14:30 Dinner: from 19:00 to 22:30 Pizzeria and Cocktail-bar: from 12:00 to 22:30CLOSED ON WEDNESDAY.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent most of my evenings in this fantastic place during my holidays in Bamburi Beach.
The atmosphere is magic with a touch of italian glamour, the staff very attentive and Fabrizio, the owner, is an amazing host that takes care of all the details, he is passionate about food and music as well so you can enjoy live jazz music twice a week. The food is a sicilian fusion very original and tasty, full of variety and colours and the pizza is yummi with a lot of choices. They also rent lovely rooms and the pool area is relaxing and green, perfect for a drink and a splash, away from the crowd of the beach. I recommend this place if you want to have an unforgettable dining experience.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have been impressed by this new restaurant near Travelers hotel, an excellent Mediterranean cuisine blessed by the magic touch and personalization of the Italian chef, a Sicilian we were told. Service of class orchestrated by the Italian owner Fabrizzo that will proudly assist and advise you for the best choices; we had a fantastic beef carpaccio with rucola and sicilian olives marmalade, home made macaroni with a special Sicilian meat sauce made for us, spaghetti with fish very delicate and tasting, fish fillet of the house and different unforgettable sicilian dessert, the one with almonds was superb.
A great new restaurant in Mombasa, see you again very soon,

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I dined here in November and was very taken by the wonderful ambiance and setting. The lighting was so soft and subdued that I cannot think of a nicer dining location in Kenya as to the use of light.

Wait staff was warm and attentive and Fabrico went out of his way to make sure the meal was tops. I asked for a special kind of pasta that was not on the menu and it was done with no problem at all and it was excellent. Starters of seafood salad and carpaccio were right on and ended the meal with a very well made creme brulee and then an excellent espresso.

Easy access off the main Mombasa to Malindi road and for sure, if on the North Coast, give the Giardlino Restaurant a visit.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

First things first, this place serves Sicilian food and not typical Italian food one would expect in Italian eateries the world over. What I really liked is that they do not serve sugo di Bolognese. It has become such an adulerated Italian dish ruined by millions of restaurants over the world. It was refreshing not to see it on the menu. The menu offers lots of fresh fish, meats and home made pastas. A lot of the dishes use fresh lemon or lemon sauces with a touch of spice, just as they do in Sicily.

We were a table of 10 on a Sunday afternoon and were well taken care of by the manager Fabrizio and his waiters. Beers and wines were promptly served and our food orders were taken by Fabrizio. As we had local Italians in our group, we were of course given special attention by the manager.

For starters we shared plates, pizza bianca, Mille feuille of Eggplant (excellent) and Seafood salad (superbly fresh and delicate). All starters were very good and I give them top marks.

For mains, 2 friends had sea urchin spaghetti which was fantastic. It was like a bite of the fresh Indian ocean. Definitely one for the seafoodies amongst you. I ordered home made tagliatelle with crab in a lemon sauce which was also good. The crab was fresh and the lemon sauce was slightly sweet. It was the first time I have ever eaten crab pasta in this way, normally it's in olive oil with garlic and herbs. It was a touch sweet for me and undersalted but good. The pasta was very good. My good friend ordered pasta with an aubergine sauce and it was also very good however it was too salty. They could not add any pecorino/parmesan as it would have made it overly salty and inedible. Others ordred steaks and fillet of fish which every one enjoyed.

We sat through the afternoon drinking wines and chatting and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The restaurant is very good and the service prompt and friendly.

The Ed Silveira trio was setting up for the evening when we left. I suggest you have a meal with the trio playing, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Just a suggestion, when you order your food, make sure you speak to the manager, it's his cultural food and he will describe it to you in detail as it's very different from other generic Italian restaurants you're used to.

Buon Apetito

1  Thank Smoke_Trees
Reviewed December 10, 2012

While the fish salad started was authentic and delicious (prawns, calamari, octopus on beds of carrots and Arugola) the mains were really quite disappointing (I did not try the sea urchin gnocchi though and kind of wish I had but my stomach can't do three course dinners any more)

I ordered fillet of fish (a big white one I can't remember the name) with tomato and basil sauce while my companion ordered a the same fillet in port and sesame seeds.
My sauce was perfectly nice (but if an Italian gets that kind of sauce wrong it would be heresy, it's the simplest and most basic in the country's repertoire!) although my fish was overcooked and dry. My companion's fish crust was way too salty and his fillet had also been overcooked. He adored the potato pure and vegetables though, so points for those.

All in all the prices were a little too steep for what was in fact simple, locally sourced readily-available food.

But I grew up in Italy so my expectations of Italian food are really really high.

1  Thank whatktdoes