“NYALI BEACH RESORTS”

Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in Mombasa
London
“NYALI BEACH RESORTS”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

There are 2 hotels called Nyali Beach on this strip. There is Nyali Beach International Hotel and there is Nyali Beach Resort. I see that reviews for both of these hotels have been written under Nyali Beach Hotel and they both could not be more different! In Feb 2011 I stayed in Nyali Beach Resort for 12 nights. There were a total of about 50 of us staying at the resort as we all went over for a family wedding. I have a mixed opinion on the resort. The pool, and restaurant area were very nice. In fact the food there is brilliant and there is a huge choice for vegetarians. The chef is very versatile and can really make anything you ask him to with delicious results. However the biggest let down was the resort did not provide ANY sunbeds on the actual beach...only on the resort which I found VERY strange as the resort is on the beach. This disappointed me as I like nothing better then lying on a sunbed on the beach soaking up the sun, which I couldnt really do! The rooms were OK, nothing special, but the bathrooms were old, not working properly and in dire need of refurblishment. The bathrooms were a let down to a reasonable room with a nice view. However the hotel was very clean which I could not fault them on. There was no real holiday atmosphere at the hotel however this did not effect us much as we enjoyed it regardless as there were so many of us there and we were busy a lot of the time with wedding preparations. However if this was not the case and we were going on a normal family holiday I would have been very dissapointed with the resort. The spa at the hotel is disgusting and just a bare room in the games area. I decided to have a massage and to my shock during the massage the lady kept walking in and out the room leaving the door open and me in full view of everyone in the games room!!! After this we decided to try and find another spa in one of the hotels nearby. About a 5 minute walk up the beach we came accross Nyali International Beach Hotel. When seeing this hotel and how different it was to the resort we were very disappointed we did not stay there. Nyali Beach International is exactly the sort of place you would want to stay on a beach holiday!! It had an amazing beach front area, good atmosphere and what looked like around 3 different restaurants! The spa there was amazing too. Obviously we never viewed the rooms at the hotel so I cannot comment, however from the looks of the hotel they would have been just as good. Overall I deffinately would not recommend staying at the resort unless you are looking for a very low key holiday with a hotel that does not really have ANY facilities you would expect to find in a beach hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
14 Thank FequentTraveller100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

It grows on you, give it a day or so, friendly staff, beautifull gardens, nice for a short stay.

• Stayed April 2011
Gateshead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

They've tried with the hotel. But refurbishment over the last year seems to just paper over the cracks. To me this is one of the least atttractive Hotels to visit at the coast because of the attitude of some of the staff. SOME are lovely (the lady who greets you at the restaurant, the soup guy... but others are miserable... like some of the front desk staff.

Food is OK, but very little choice or variety.

My room was comfortable but just old.

They could train a couple of people to tune the TVs in the rooms.

For the manager everything was too much trouble.

And then the waiter at dinner one night. On the point off rude... ignoring people, rolling his eyes at requests that required minimal extra effort.

If you white, male and don't mind being hassled by prostitutes... enjoy the bar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank pumbavu

Travelers are raving about these Mombasa hotels

Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

My Mum and Dad had stayed in the Nyalii Beach Hotel in 1968. I spent my first Christmas being more interested in the wrapping paper than the presents on the talcum powder sands of Nyali beach itself. For years and years I had wanted to go back and finally I did - 42 years later.
The hotel seems to find a special place inside people's hearts. 'We''ve been coming for years,' was a refrain I heard a lot from people who talked about the hotel like a special relative.
I'm not sure if it's the most luxurious hotel along this beach but it has the best history, almost definitely the best staff and definitely the best view of the beach and sea through the shadowed filter of palm trees.
It wasn't just imagining my parents, young, raven haired and with me as a baby, that made me fall in love with this hotel. There is an atmosphere here that wriggles inside you. It may come from its history, its beauty or even the wonderful cakes but it is there and it adds something that no hotel manager can create.
Since staying there, a strong wisp of affection has nestled in a chamber of my heart for this hotel. I am sure that it will remind me every so often that I should go back.
And I will, one day. And I won't leave it forty-two years next time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank matttea
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

location is good, hotel is beautiful, but the rooms we lived are in the old building. so the room inside all are old but clean. if you live in another building the condition will be better. The food is average quality, service is a bit slow- african style,( my friends said) but they are friendly. still happy choice. Nyali beach is beautiful but too much seaweed on the beach and in the sea.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

Spent the day at this hotel while staying in central Mombasa. 600 shillings for the day to use all the facilities, which felt good value. Much evidence of significant recent and current renovations and upgrading. Didn't see the rooms, but all communal areas, pools etc in very good order. Staff friendly, very helpful and appeared happy in their work. A hotel on the up. Food good and well presented and would have happily stayed there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Davidfan
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

We spent a week here for a conference. The hotel has obviously seen better days, but it was such a delightful stay, mainly because of the warmth and friendliness of the staff. The food was excellent; we particularly enjoyed the vegetarian curries on offer most nights in the dinner buffet.
The wireless internet was confined to a central lobby area and was not very reliable. Having said that, the IT technician at the hotel were so patient in helping to get us connected when it was working.
There is a lot of building work going on, some of which disturbed our conference. But the quality of the refurbished parts of the hotel is good. I'm sure it will be great for the Christmas/New Year season.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business