“Best meal of our holiday!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Lido Sea Food Grill
Ranked #33 of 132 Restaurants in Mombasa
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Best meal of our holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We dined here twice for evening meals. Over the two meals my partner and i tried different dishes and was delighted with all of them. The setting is perfect as its right on top of the beach. All the staff at the lido sea food grill were very friendly and efficient, particularly Eunice, Humphrey and Phillip. Our second meal was made extra special by having a duo playing live music plus we had Phillip as our waitor who was truly exceptional with his enthusiasm, passion and general quality of service.

• Visited February 2014

Nairobi
“Lovely dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I had lunch at Lido every day during my stay & i loved it. The food was always lovely accompanied by great service from Phillip. The outdoor setting is beautiful & the view was lovely. I'll definitely be back for more during my next visit

• Visited November 2013
Shanzu, Kenya
“Over rated and over priced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I live 10 minutes away from Whitesands and have eaten at the Buffet restaurant on several occasions. i have read the reviews for the Lido sea Food Grill and as my partner and I had a special occasion to celebrate I decided to try it. The place I ate at bears no resemblance to the reviews on here.
On the good side I will agree that the setting is very good and the service provided by Phillip (the waiter) was excellent.
The down side was the quality of the meal and the price we were charged for it.
My partner ordered French Onion Soup which we had to return as it had more salt in than Onions - it was changed and the replacement one was slightly better. What is it with kenyan Chefs and salt - do they realise that if they put too little salt in you can add more - once they have put too much the dish becomes inedible as you can't take it out.
My starter a crab 'Timbale' was average and not worth the 1000ksh cost (with Taxes).
We ordered Seafood Platter each as a main course and at over 4000ksh each (with Taxes) was basically extortionate vis a vis the quality.
The Lobster was miniscule and overcooked - the Crabs Claws were overcooked - the Kingfish Steak was overcooked, dried up and very small. The King Prawns were fine.
I have eaten Seafood Platter at many Restaurants on the coast and this was by fat the worst in terms of value and quality. Maybe the Food and Beverage Manager should look at Tamarind or Monsoons - their quality and value put Whitesands to shame.
The desserts were not a lot better - over 1000ksh (with Taxes) for something very average.
Anybody who complains about Tamarind prices should go here - they would never complain again.
I feel that alot of the previous reviews were written by guests at the hotel who had not eaten at outside Restaurants and had something to compare with.
Overall the quality of the meal was very poor and was exceptionally poor value for money and t was the sort I would expect from a small local Cafe a fifth of the price.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank westwoodboy
Istanbul, Turkey
“Terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had lunch at the outdoor restaurant while staying at the hotel. Most of the food was bland at best. But the icing on the cake was mouldy cheese on a sandwich. The chef pretended to not understand the issue, arguing that the mozarella was perfect and should be smelling like it did (obviously he never went to Italy or a dairy for that matter).
Not a good experience and completly overprice/under-qualitied.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
North England
“Number 1 restaurant and number 1 waitor Philip!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We ate lunch everyday here during our visit to the Whitesands, the fresh bread followed by the catch of the day is awesome!!! Our waitor Philip was Very, very, very GOOD!! He is number one waitor in Mombassa!!!!!!!!

• Visited October 2013